SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting an annoying creaking sound when steering to the left and sometimes to the right. I've replaced the strut mounts probably close to 2 years ago.

Weird thing is when I had my mech mount my winter tires the tight steering and creaking is gone. Garage says they did nothing but lift car and mount tires. Called them to make sure they didn't maybe grease the bearings? They say no. :confused: is it safe to say I'll be needing new mounts? Or is there a quick fix for this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
How do you know its the strut mounts?

I had similar creaking at low speed and all of the suspension was tight. Ended up being bad sway bar bushings, threw some grease on them and it quieted down.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I just assumed it was strut mounts because I remember them sounding like that when they went bad.

I'm doing my endlinks, control arm bushings, tie rods, and ball joints within a week or two. When I'm in there I'll check out the sway bar bushings. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My 2 cents. Sway bar bushings will not give you tight steering.Neither will end links and control arm bushings. But it is unlikely, but possible that shot ball joints could.But if your ball joints are bad,you would have other indicators of that as well.
I would not condemn your strut mounts yet until you check out your power steering.giving it a flush is easy and cheap.I have heard of tight steering on ps units that were neglected.
You still might have bad strut mounts though.As a test for this,try lubricating the upper mounts by removing the nuts with the suspension loaded and spray a load of pb or wd40 in and around the strut tower and see if that makes a difference.If it does help a bit you have now isolated your main objective.
And btw,I got a email today from FCP anouncing that they now have quick struts for P2 platform cars for $200 each if you care.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Correct, bad sway bar bushings won't tighten steering, but they will creak and make noise at low speed. Another way to check the strut mount is to put a wrench to the top nut and check for play. If you can significantly move the strut mount top nut while it's loaded it'll have even more play when moving. Another giveaway is the top nut being off center in the strut mount. I agree on not ruling out power steering also.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would a power steering issue be temporarily fixed by having the car go on and off a lift? Doubt it. I've checked the power steering. Fluid levels good pump isn't making any extra noise.

I'll try greasing the mounts and see if that does anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could also be that something was binding, and unloading the suspension and then dropping it again may have settled it more evenly.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts