SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I’ve finished the a/c project on my car I need to move to the next item on the list, tie rods. I’m going to do both inner and outer rods and need to know what size the flats on the new ones are to order a tool with the correct size insert. I know about the original ones not having any flats for removal, I will be ordering the clamp removal tool as well

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bit the bullet and bought a tie rod tool that has several inserts so that question is answered.

But... Is Meyle an o.e. supplier? Has anyone used Meyle with good results? There’s a pretty significant price difference between genuine Volvo and Meyle on ipd.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I just bit the bullet and bought a tie rod tool that has several inserts so that question is answered.

But... Is Meyle an o.e. supplier? Has anyone used Meyle with good results? There’s a pretty significant price difference between genuine Volvo and Meyle on ipd.
I went with Moog inner and outers. Sadly I think one of them was bad (or my steering rack is loose on only one side), so I have to replace it. Gonna nail that down this weekend. Also I did mine with very large channellocks, so I don't have the size, I'm sorry there.

Update - pulled the boot off and jacked it up, no play - so I gotta chalk the vibration up to a bad axle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The tie rod boot on my MY06 says "TRW"...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Does the inner tie rod require a special tool to replace, i did the outers and still have some play in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can get it off with channel locks if you wanted, but I used a universal tie rod tool - looks like an exhaust clamp with little teeth. Connect a long extension to that, and it comes off fairly easily. Just be sure only to turn the steering rack out as far as needed to access the tie rod, any further increases risk of damage to the rack.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
With my most recent steering rack change - I would highly suggest a pipe wrench. I splurged the $20 at home depot and got a 14"er and it was the easiest remove and replace I have ever done.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
So you have to move the steering rack to do the inner tie rods?- is there a diy on this ive never ventured this part of the beast.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
So you have to move the steering rack to do the inner tie rods?- is there a diy on this ive never ventured this part of the beast.
No, I've never seen one for the inners. For the outers yes.
Quick walkthrough:
Crank the wheel all the way to the side, get under there - the wheel pushed out (what would be the outside of the turning circle) you can undo the clamp on the boot, pull the boot down and slide it down the inner tie rod and then use your desired tool to remove the inner tie rod. This is the only way to get it to clear the LCA's and give you the room you need to swap them out.

With no LCA's on there you don't have to crank it as far out to do the job with a pipe wrench - only difference.

From there, how you want to remove it from the outer tie rod end or remove the entire assembly from the knuckle and then disassemble. There are two schools of thought - hold the tie rod still and count half turns to remove the outer tie rod and then screw the new assembly together using the same count. Other way is to eyeball it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts