SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the 122 around the other day and I noticed that when I took off from a standing start at a light or what ever, there is a ticking sound coming somewhere from in front of me. Could it be the speedo cable? Has anyone experienced the ticking? It goes a little quicker as I go faster but not insanely faster.

Rodger:confused:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Is the trip odometer stuck? That'll click if it is.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I was driving the 122 around the other day and I noticed that when I took off from a standing start at a light or what ever, there is a ticking sound coming somewhere from in front of me. Could it be the speedo cable? Has anyone experienced the ticking? It goes a little quicker as I go faster but not insanely faster.

Rodger:confused:
I am experienced in the area of insane tickers.

Be careful going insanely faster. Don't be in a hurry - it will come sooner than expected. Do you wear hearing aids?

This ticking sound in front of you - did this just begin or has it been ticking for some time?

First test would be to find an empty parking lot and start from stop in reverse to determine if the ticking sound is in first gear only or all forward gears or all gears.

Next, with all "OFF" reach under the dash just below the tripmeter and turn that little round brass knob CW (viewing from the floor) until it stops. Was it loose? Regardless, snug it up tight.

Now turn the knob CCW until it stops. Did the tripmeter numbers move? If the knob becomes loose go back to start.

Repeat this CW/CCW movement of the knob until the tripmeter shows all zeros. If this is a no-go then the tripmeter reset mechanism may be having problems.

Next, reach up even farther under the dash and locate where the speedo cable engages the speedometer. Wiggle the cable then check if the connection is secure.

If the ticking continues consider disconnecting the speedo cable at the OD (you stated that the car has an add-on "5th gear" by the original owner).

If the ticking persists with the speedo cable disconnected we will need to start over.

WAIT! Does the speedometer display "bounce" during the tick?

George Dill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't thing it made the sound before. I can sort of hear a mechanical turning ticking sound. It went away for a while today. I will give the resetable odometer a turn tomorrow and see if that helps. The knob is not there so I will have to grab it with pliers to turn it. I reset it to zero when i first got it home last summer. Maybe with it sitting alot through the year it has gotten gummed up or something.. I'll let you all know what i discover in a day or 2 when I try the reset and go to a quiet spot and drive and listen.

Rodger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts