SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've posted on here.. life has been getting in the way.

So I replaced the brakes on my '04 VR a few weeks ago with a cheap set of ebay rotors(I had cheap ebay rotors on my last VR that were fine) and Meyle ceramic pads on the front and Mintex pads for the rear. Well ever since I did this brake job I've had a constant tick coming from the front brakes that has gotten progressively worse over time. It started out making the sound only when I applied the brakes at first but now is constant.

I was sure it was due to the cheap rotors so I've since returned them and replaced with DRT cross drilled discs and the sound is still there if not louder. I've swapped out the Meyle pads with the cheapies that came with the ebay rotors just for testing purposes without any change in sound.

I used a line clamp to try and isolate which side it was coming from and both front brakes are making the same sound. I've done many brake jobs in the past and never had an issue like this before.

Has anyone experienced this on the R? There was no ticking sound before I swapped the brakes.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Treat your R correctly as Meyle is not worthy of it. Put some Jurad on the car and upgrade the rotors to factory blanks and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would start by checking the axle bolts and making sure they are tight.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Totally a shot in the dark, but have you checked to see if a wheel weight is coming into contact with the caliper? You have a VR which probably has 17's so the clearance is pretty close.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Vio I've since swapped pads and the tick remains. I've seen others use DRT rotors without problems.

@usgiorgi Initially I did grease them and assumed the pads could be moving around in the caliper and have since cleaned everything off with no change. Also I thought that applying the brake would eliminate any pad movement yet it sounds even louder when I get on the pedal.

Axle bolt are xc90 replacements and are torqued to factory specs. Also the wheels are 18" reps so it's not a clearance issue as far as I can tell. I've tried every solution I can think of and it's driving me nuts. I'm going to order some genuine Volvo pads as a last resort since they come with the stick-on shim as opposed to the crappy shim with tabs that were on the Meyle pads.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yes, DRT rotors are very good. Both me and Vio are running them. I think he was talking about the pads not your rotor selection. By cheap ebay rotors, do you mean DRT? because their prices are cheap, but their quality is exceptional!

Stupid question, but are the caliper bolts all nice and tight?

Also, is the breaking force affected?

Do you feel any vibrations in the steering wheel or the brake pedal?

Does the car go to one side when braking? Maybe take a video to let us all hear what type of click it is. Metal on metal etc...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
@Vio I've since swapped pads and the tick remains. I've seen others use DRT rotors without problems.
You failed to mention DRT. I use them, they are great. Do you have a video of the click as it is extremely difficult to diagnose without a proper idea of what the sound possibly sounds like.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You failed to mention DRT. I use them, they are great. Do you have a video of the click as it is extremely difficult to diagnose without a proper idea of what the sound possibly sounds like.
Re-read my initial post.. I mentioned that I started with a set of cheap ebay rotors (which seems like they were decent considering it wasn't the issue) and have since swapped them out and now use a DRT cross-drilled set on the front without any improvement.

Brake performance is excellent with no vibration or pulling to the side. I have also taken the calipers off several times to inspect and re-tighten and the noise persists. It's really frustrating because everything looks good and fits how it's supposed to.

I'll try to record some video when I drive next to a building to make it more audible. It's definitely louder when I get on the brakes hard but it also ticks when cruising. Sometimes the sound comes and goes as weight is transfered side to side in turns but I've recently replaced the bearings so it not that. The sound only appeared immediately after the brake change.

Thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Re-read my initial post.. I mentioned that I started with a set of cheap ebay rotors (which seems like they were decent considering it wasn't the issue) and have since swapped them out and now use a DRT cross-drilled set on the front without any improvement.

Brake performance is excellent with no vibration or pulling to the side. I have also taken the calipers off several times to inspect and re-tighten and the noise persists. It's really frustrating because everything looks good and fits how it's supposed to.

I'll try to record some video when I drive next to a building to make it more audible. It's definitely louder when I get on the brakes hard but it also ticks when cruising. Sometimes the sound comes and goes as weight is transfered side to side in turns but I've recently replaced the bearings so it not that. The sound only appeared immediately after the brake change.

Thanks for your suggestions
Is there play in the rotor? Take the wheel off and examine the rotor bolt. If not, then chances are it's not the brakes. They may be causing the sound to intensify when applied, but it may be something else altogether. Check the dust shield too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there play in the rotor? Take the wheel off and examine the rotor bolt. If not, then chances are it's not the brakes. They may be causing the sound to intensify when applied, but it may be something else altogether. Check the dust shield too.
No there is no play in the rotor with the rotor bolt tightened. I also made the sure the dust shield wasn't rubbing up against the rotor or anything.

I'm going to try some OE Volvo brake pads with the stick-on shim. The Meyle pads and the non-brand pads that came with the ebay rotors both have the non stick on shim that's held on by the little folded tabs.. that's the only thing I can think of that might be making noise since they're kind of loose in there when everything is in place. I was also thinking about replacing the pad guides that are bolted onto the caliper but I haven't found those parts for sale anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts