SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did get around to asking this but my s60 makes a ticking noise when I am driving at say around 2.6k-4k ish at partial throttle. Full throttle the noise is gone and not at those rpms the noise is gone. I will not be able to get a video for the next week or so but I was sort of curios if anyone even knows what I am talking about. It does not sound like knocking but it does sound like a hydraulic ticking and no oil change has ever fixed it.

Anyone ever experience something like this?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Could it be the infamous axle ping?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it anything like this clicking http://youtu.be/8P6YE_Fjpdk?t=11s The symptoms might be clicking when you give it gas or come off the gas at around those RPM's. You might also get it if you start going from a standstill. If so then it could be the axle ping issue which is a pretty simple fix (xc90 axle bolts). If not I'd do more experimenting. For instance does this happen when you're in neutral but go to those rpm?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just heard the video. It does not sound like that at all. Honestly this sounds sounds more like (to me) valves or lifters. My only other experience with a noise similar to this would be my miata which has hydraulic lifters and after about 3k miles the oil deteriorates and the liters start to tick. At idle I hear no ticking whatsoever but when I am giving it partial throttle I do hear a sound. When my car is running fine again I will take a video.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Failing exhaust manifold gasket. Sounds just like ticking lifters.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like ticking lifters to me. I was under the impression that these cars had solid lifters and they should never tick. I was just slightly worried, but not worried enough to actually post anything about it in the last 2 years I have had the car. LOL.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Like I said, sounds just like lifters. You could also try and rule out noisy fuel injectors, however my money is still on exhaust leak.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. I forgot about this thread. This weekend I will take a look at the studs and nuts on the exhaust manifold and see if they are loose. I still do not know the problem but it also has not bothered me that much. My car is still trucking along at 173,5xx miles.

Would a leaking exhaust manifold gasket limit my boost?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sounds like ticking lifters to me. I was under the impression that these cars had solid lifters and they should never tick.
Pretty sure solid lifters (which the R and all Volvos since about 2000 have) actually are noisier and more likely to tick because of the clearances required. Hydraulic lifters adjust for these clearances automatically and therefore are quieter.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Anyone know why Volvo went to solid?
Funny, this thread made me look that up as well. Apparently, more reliable was the best answer I could find:

"Second, this was done for several reasons. One reason is because there were situations where, during start up, the hydraulic tappets needed to adjust their setting quickly. This is because lower fuel quality in the US caused valve stems to gum up, and US driving habits result in lower engine RPM speeds not rotating the valves properly. This gum on the valve stem would cause the stem to heat up too quickly during start up, causing the tappet to need to adjust quickly. Volvo was unable to design a suitable tappet that was able to both adjust quickly and to maintain an acceptable ammt of oil in the piston.(Bleed off). The solid tappet was an engineering solution that allowed volvo to use 1 tappet system for their engines no matter what market the engine was destined for. It also causes fewer problems for those folks who do not maintain the engine oil in the manner that you do."

https://www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/143867/V70/re_volvo_engines_hydraulic_lifters_solid.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts