SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am just now looking at getting a Thule rooftop cargo box for the skis and other gear I lug around all the time. Has anyone had any bad experiences with different boxes? Such as: unbearable wind noise< rattles, etc.?

I am looking at the new Thule North Cape box, a bit smaller and much more aerodynamic.

Thanks for all the help on this site, it's my first stop every morning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Thule roof top cargo boxes...anything to avoid? (Ski Brick)

NO ONE? I would have thought that some of you guys have Thule cargo boxes on the roofs? I am torn...well, I guess that leaves me no option but to buy the new Thule North Cape box for it.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Thule roof top cargo boxes...anything to avoid? (Ski Brick)

Ski Brick, I have the VW OEM box for my Golf. I've never owned a Thule box, and even though Thule makes most accessories for the VW OEM rack, they don't do the boxes.

Generally, it'll cut down on your aerodynamics, so you'll get worse gas mileage. The car also becomes a little more top heavy and be careful as extended stay on your roof means that where the riser pads meet the roof, you're going to get some paint wear.

I've done a layer of vinyl (picked it up from a sign/decal shop) underneath the pads. That tends to work well. Regardless though, make sure that the roof is clean underneath the pads and the vinyl if you choose to use it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Thule roof top cargo boxes...anything to avoid? ([email protected])

My Thules mount directly to the factory rack system, so they are a bit lower and do not touch the roof. I know what you mean, though, my JEtta GLX has some marks on the roof from the gutterless foot packs. I guess the aerodynamics and mileage is a concern, however, I ski every weekend, and travel every week...so it's a toss up. Do I keep it on all the time, get the most aerodynamic box, or take it off during the week.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts