SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one with a roof rack... <p><br>Have you got a fairing for the front of it to reduce noise? I have my bike carriers and it is very loud, and I think a fairing may even help gas millage back to pre rack.<p>Any one have a thule fairing or considered one. It says it only fits their square rack, but Im wondering if I can mod it to fit the s40

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: (mattdoc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mattdoc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had one on my '01 S40. The wind noise from the roofrack went away with it on.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ditto<p>I put a Thule faring on my Volvo rack (on my 2000 S40)--it really cut down noise and gave me back 2-3 mpg highway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re:

on their site, the large fairing comes up in the product search. if we could get it confirmed to fit, i'm going to get one

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: (selrahc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>selrahc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on their site, the large fairing comes up in the product search. if we could get it confirmed to fit, i'm going to get one</TD></TR></TABLE>yeah the large one shows but if you rear the description it says "only fits thule square roof rack systems"<p>Our rack isnt made by thule nor is it square. Im wondering though how hard it would truly be to adapt it, I bet it would be pretty easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the factory square crossbars mounted on the factory Euopean rails. They were noisy staring at about 40 KPM. I just read about the Thule fairing in this thread and bought a fairing (Thule 871XT). It came with adaptors to fit both the square tubes and for the aeroshape bars. Still a bit of noise but a lot quieter. I will need to test it with my Thule Cascade box now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Try Yakima

I think the Yakima system is quieter. I do not have a system up on my V50 yet but I do on my V70. It's noisy with and without the fairing. The fairing will not take the noise away. <br>If you use a rack system, noise is part of the deal.<br>My suggestion for reducing noise is to use very simple rack options. The basic viper or steelhead will be quieter than a cobra or other similar systems that have features to lift the bike or carry it with the wheels in place. Same for canoe or kayak systems. A hully roller will sound like an SST landing n your car at 90mph. Keep it simple and you can keep the noise down. <p>On a related note, has anyone added rails to their car? I am a bit nervous about pulling the cover strips up. Are there any tricks to that and advice any can offer. I have rails (ErieVovo) to mount this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule 44" fairing on OEM Volvo racks

Pretty easy to do if your not afraid of cutting the thule clips, and drilling into the volvo rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts