SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 VOlVO S40 T5 M66 AWD
Just bought my first volvo yester day and drove it home last night. The car has 122K miles on it switching from a nothing but problems subie hoping for a problem free Volvo, Not so much yet. The car has been sitting for 3 months and the first time i noticed it was last night on the drive home. I was "testing the car" and passed my friend and got upto about 70-75 MPH when I left off the gas to get back in the lane I felt a hard thud that justled the car on the road and was almost scary. Not one to be scared from normal craziness as I have owned lancers and subies. But did not reoccur the rest of the way home with normal driving 55 MPH and under. This morning I drove to work and noticed every time I slowed down the thud returned, Its a quick jolt and and an audible thud, not clicking or normal cv noise. Is there a place I should start ? do I check Haldex fluid and replace ? take of wheels and check bearings ? Is there a normal service item that causes this issue that needs to be replaced ?

I have a few other things that I will be posting with help needed on this Volvo, I really want to fix it up right and have it last me out. (have an oil drip from behind engine, maybe turbo oil return line but havent gotten a chance to put it on the lift yet. And very noisy lifters on cold start up, just put fuel injector cleaner with top end lube in with my first fuel up this morning, and running a ATF cocktail through the engine for a few hundred miles before I do my first oil change with mobil 1) WIll be doing the stage 0 tune up soon. Really excited to get Black Beauty up to 100% and have some fun

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a similar thud before I realized that I was missing 2 rear driveshaft bolts, along with the other 4 were loose.

I also had a ridiculous jostle at any level of acceleration, so you might not find the same problem as I had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do not have any jostle during acceleration only when I let off the gas at highway speeds 65-75. The faster I go, when I left off the gas the harder the jostle is, it almost feels like someone is kicking the back of the drivers seat

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Lower control arms. Check large rear bushing for cracks. If they are original they are bad. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will check that out, thank you for response. Just did a quick look around online and saw all the problems Volvos have with lower control arm bushings and really hope that's the problem

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
First guess is lca's because the whole subframe shifts when you put pressure on the front wheels. For me, I noticed a strong wobble in turns as the wheels shifted back and forth in the lca's during lateral g's. Easy way to check - look at the large bushing for cracks or evidence the center bolt has been rubbing on the sides of the bracket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I found the right LCA did have some distress, no wheres near the amount as the the other LCA's I have seen failed on here. Will be replacing both as a maintenance precaution when I drop my motor to fix an exhaust leak and fix my oil pan leak. Any links on what all needs to be removed for and engine drop ? I have a lift and a rolling table which can support 500-700 LBS, may use my tranny high lift. Trying to plan how many days It will take me and getting a hoard of new parts ordered so I dont have to drop it ever again

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Engine doesn't need to come out to fix exhaust manifold leak or oil pan. You will be making much more work for yourself, and many more parts to replace as a result. Unless there's more wrong with it you're not mentioning, just do them in situ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts