SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I was wanted to ask for a while now if my throttle response is normal or not..

Basically it takes, what feels like, ages to get any response. Feels like about 0.7s avg
When I just 'poke' the pedal quickly (%-50%-0% travel) the car seems to cancel it out totally and doesn't to a thing.
Can get quite annoying to be honest!

I know this is common for 'drive by wire' systems, but is it normal that it's this bad?
What can I do to counter it?

Many Thanks! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have noticed that the car likes to cancel out a "touchy" throttle. Well I have the 2.4i and it does something similar, unless its over 3500 rpm. Its pretty much instant with the n/a engine.

We have a mazda 3 that is super touchy and its pretty annoying.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
By "poke" do you mean you push the throttle in and then quickly release it? or do you keep the throttle depressed?

If you're going by the 1st definition, then yes, I've noticed something similar, especially w/ quick throttle jabs (i.e <2 second press) w/ the car in D.

In manual mode however the throttle response seems pretty instant as long as I'm in a speed-appropriate gear; i.e not 5th gear @ 45 mph.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not really, drives fine for me 2004.5 t5 s40, I also have a na 4runner that one is more responsive, and I don't think is drive by cable on volvo. Electronic valve

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes, the ECU does dampen throttle responce. Its impossible to heel toe because the throttle just doesnt open when you tell it. One of the things I hate about newer cars. When I drove an 08 lotus elise and my 05 back to back I was like no way would I buy the 08. The 08 had drive by wire the 05 didnt. The difference was night and day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "poke" do you mean you push the throttle in and then quickly release it? or do you keep the throttle depressed?

If you're going by the 1st definition, then yes, I've noticed something similar, especially w/ quick throttle jabs (i.e <2 second press) w/ the car in D.

In manual mode however the throttle response seems pretty instant as long as I'm in a speed-appropriate gear; i.e not 5th gear @ 45 mph.
Yeah, I mean quickly releasing it.
It doesn't matter in what gear I'm in or if I've got the clutch depressed.
(I forgot to mention yesterday, my car is a manual)

Yes, the ECU does dampen throttle responce. Its impossible to heel toe because the throttle just doesnt open when you tell it. One of the things I hate about newer cars. When I drove an 08 lotus elise and my 05 back to back I was like no way would I buy the 08. The 08 had drive by wire the 05 didnt. The difference was night and day.
Is there any way to stop the ECU doing that? I find it nearly as annoying as a brake with bad response..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah, I mean quickly releasing it.
It doesn't matter in what gear I'm in or if I've got the clutch depressed.
(I forgot to mention yesterday, my car is a manual)

Is there any way to stop the ECU doing that? I find it nearly as annoying as a brake with bad response..
The short answer, No. but I hear some of the flashes have better throttle curves that make the respoce better. Many people think the re mapped ECU's solve the problem. However, there is still a built in latency to the system.

My future plans since I have engine management are to install an idle air control valve and a cable throttle. Some of the Scion guys have been doing that successfully. With my engine management the worst I would see is a CEL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well an easy way of getting rid of it totally would have been too good to be true!

Are there any tunes that are not too pricey and would improve the response?
I guess I could live with some inbuilt latency but as it is now I feel like I need to change it after every drive..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well an easy way of getting rid of it totally would have been too good to be true!

Are there any tunes that are not too pricey and would improve the response?
I guess I could live with some inbuilt latency but as it is now I feel like I need to change it after every drive..
That is a matter of opinion. Others can weigh in since I have a VERY poor view of OBDII flashed "tunes". I think they are all WAY overpriced and are very likely the reason for cracked cyl's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts