SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, About a year ago I had the TPS CEL and flashing yellow arrow with code PO120. Engine stalled and died several times. I purchased the Bosch TPS from FCP instead of the Genuine Volvo TPS which also seems to be a Bosch part. There is about a $75.00 difference between the so called Bosch aftermarket made in Korea and the part I took off my 1996 Volvo 850 T5 which was made in Germany and lasted 22 years. Is there a difference in quality and reliability between the Genuine Volvo part sold by FCP and the Bosch TPS sold for about $26.00? The reason I'm concerned is because I just had the same symptoms happen just as I was getting onto a highway. The engine stalled, CEL on and arrow flashing. My scanner shows once again the TPS is the problem. I reset it and seems fine now. But I lost confidence, since I really don't know what caused this scary situation. Otherwise, I really like this car. The best car I ever owned. Any thought would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Bosch is what comes in the Volvo box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lifetime warranty from FCP. If you think it’s faulty send it back for a new Bosch. Bosch is OEM though their quality has slipped a bit in recent years IMHO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lifetime warranty from FCP. If you think it’s faulty send it back for a new Bosch. Bosch is OEM though their quality has slipped a bit in recent years IMHO.
FCP sure does have an excellent return policy. They even accept used motor oil!!! Not sure why they would go so far as I certainly wouldn't take advantage of their generosity. But if I find that the aftermarket Bosch is not functioning I will return it and try the Genuine Volvo even if they both say Bosch. Does anyone know where the Genuine Volvo TPS is made. Does it come from the same factory as the Bosch from Korea? Also, I wonder if anything else can trip this TPS code. Bad ECU etc.???
I wonder if testing a TPS that is just starting to show symptoms would reveal itself on a meter?

·
Registered
17,689 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is always the possibility that something else is causing this code but before you go fishing I would inspect the wiring harness for the TPS and inspect and clean the throttle itself. If it’s gummed up inside and the plate is not closing all the way or it’s movement is impaired in any way that will cause issues too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is always the possibility that something else is causing this code but before you go fishing I would inspect the wiring harness for the TPS and inspect and clean the throttle itself. If it’s gummed up inside and the plate is not closing all the way or it’s movement is impaired in any way that will cause issues too.
Hi Marty, so I took off the throttle body and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. It wasn't too gummed up. I also installed a new genuine Volvo TPS from FCP. So this weekend pulling a motorcycle trailer on my way to South Jersey on the NJ Turnpike, the engine stalled, flashing arrow and the same P0120 code. I cleared the code and was able to go another 25 miles and again the same thing happened. Luckily, I wasn't rear ended and made it back home. I installed a backup ECU, checked the wiring harness to see if any rodents got to it that I missed. It ran fine for 50 miles and then again it stalled with the same flashing arrow and P0120 code. I clear the code and then it's good for another few miles or days and then it does it again. This is very difficult to troubleshoot since it can go well for quite some time or distance. I have lost faith and trust in the car. Do you or anyone know of someone who is equipped to fix this complicated issue? In it's current state the car is a suicide machine. This is the third TPS in a year, so that can't be it. Throttle body is spotless. Another working ECU didn't fix the problem. Wiring harness looks good visually. But it there is a circuit malfunction, wouldn't that show up all the time and not so sporadically? Any help. I am at a loss and want to save this car. Engine and body is perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts