SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my car today and here are my thoughts so far...

There is even more tech on this car than I knew about and it is all awesome. The forward collision warning light, which is almost like a mini HUD but just to warn you when there is a car in front of you, is really cool. The blind spot warning is extremely intuitive. The ACC works even better than the acc on my Bimmer.

I have 21" wheels on the air suspension. Generally it feels great, soaking up small bumps really well, better than my 2010 5 series. The only time it gets rattled it on a larger pothole it feels as if there is some sort of reverberation through the suspension after it should be over. Not sure if anyone else has felt that.

Just to repeat everyone else, the fit and finish of this car is incredible.

The headlights are awesome.

The B and W sound sounds great.

The touchscreen is better than i thought it might be. I was actually kind of thinking that it might be annoying, but it is actually great for most things. The only annoying thing is if you have scroll through a long list of items (like an artist list from a bluetooth audio source).

I am getting it Cquartzed at the end of this week, and then I am getting Nokian Hakkapelita R2s mounted next week (snow is coming soon in VT).

If anyone has any recommendations or has been surprised by anything, pleasant or not, I cant wait to hear about it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wait until you get to the part of the manual about the 4 zone climate system that filters, humidifies, uses sensors to determine which side of the car the sun is shining on and sets the ambient temperature in the car to the correct "feels like" temperature setting. Amazing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts! Please keep us posted on the snows. I'm thinking about getting snow tires too, but not the rims. Rims are hard to find for this car!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am planning on putting them on the 21s, but now I am having second thoughts. That was actually my least favorite part about the car, was that the Inscription wasn't available with the 20" grey 5 spoke wheels that you can get on the momentum. I love those, I don't like the inscription 20s, and so I went with the 21s. I wish there was a good place to get the 20 inch rims aftermarket, but alas, not yet. I think what I will likely do is keep them both on the 21s for now and then perhaps get a second set of rims for my next snow tires.

If anyone has looked into buying the Grey 5 spoke momentum wheels as an independent accessory though, I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Volvo Snow Package via dealer:

So I am planning on putting them on the 21s, but now I am having second thoughts. That was actually my least favorite part about the car, was that the Inscription wasn't available with the 20" grey 5 spoke wheels that you can get on the momentum. I love those, I don't like the inscription 20s, and so I went with the 21s. I wish there was a good place to get the 20 inch rims aftermarket, but alas, not yet. I think what I will likely do is keep them both on the 21s for now and then perhaps get a second set of rims for my next snow tires.

If anyone has looked into buying the Grey 5 spoke momentum wheels as an independent accessory though, I would love to hear about it.
See below as an option in red.

Here's my story... Snow tires and wheels have been a saga. I originally starting investigating this with my dealer when it was 90 degrees out, and my dealer did not have any information or options, so I started branching out to research Heico, etc. Recently I learned from another forum member about Maks. Unfortunately, all of these after market wheel sets do not have availability in the US (yet) and will likely be quite expensive. After pressing my dealer again, he said he would get back to me with information regarding options. That finally happened this week. Originally I was given a super low quote on wheels and tires by the dealer, which was inaccurate. Then I was given a quote for $3199 for the following from VOLVO: "Volvo is offering four Michelin tires, mounted on alloys with all the balancing, pressure sensors, installation, etc. for $3,199"

This to me seemed like a reasonably good deal to me after a significant amount of research. In fact, I wish it was listed as an option on the Volvo NA website configurator, as I would have instantly taken the delivery of my new R-Design (currently scheduled for Nov delivery) with 22's and purchased winter wheels simultaneously when placing my order. To my dismay however, and according to my dealer, the order for my R-Design could not be adjusted to accommodate the $1000.00 upgrade for the 22's (which I would like to be my summer wheels) and I could not have the car delivered with the snows for $3,199. To me this is bad economics and bad business on a $60K vehicle purchase.

Can I seriously NOT give Volvo an additional $4,199 now that I have finally been given the long sought-after information regarding options that were not there before? How hard is it to swap out a set of 4 wheels when the car comes off the assembly line (if they can't be outfitted during the actual build process)? How hard would it be for the dealer to accommodate and order with 2 sets of wheels and tires :confused:

In any event, I have asked my dealer to research this further and find a way to help. For some people $4199 is expensive, but when you have 5 feet of snow and plan to use the vehicle in the mountains with your kids and family in the car, AND you can extend the life of your summer tires by 50%, it is well worth it - at least to me.Lastly, the dealer told me I could order the 22's with tires, sensors, mounting etc. for a price that would make Donald Trump blush. Needless to say, I am not pleased and hope it can be resolved easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know what the distance is for the forward collision warning to turn on the red lights on the windshield is? Mine seem to be on basically any time there is a car in front of me on the freeway. They are on even if both cars are traveling at a constant speed with a few car lengths in between.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Does anyone know what the distance is for the forward collision warning to turn on the red lights on the windshield is? Mine seem to be on basically any time there is a car in front of me on the freeway. They are on even if both cars are traveling at a constant speed with a few car lengths in between.
Are you talking about the flashing red and white collision warning with sound or the orangish one?

I think its based on an algorithm including speed traveled, distance, possibly acceleration/deceleration, time since last coffee break.. not a fixed distance anyway.

When I first got this car, I found the FCW was on all the time, and I also found that the lane keeping aid was very active. I have to say that after several months of driving both have decreased dramatically, which makes me feel like this car is making me a better and safer driver.

I do still get the FCW a lot, I live in NYC and sometimes tailgate people for fun, but I just ignore it when I want to.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stupid question, but are the TPMS sensors part of the rims? If so, then swapping out the OEM tires for winter tires and then swapping them in the spring back shouldn't be that bad, right?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Stupid question, but are the TPMS sensors part of the rims? If so, then swapping out the OEM tires for winter tires and then swapping them in the spring back shouldn't be that bad, right?
Technically, they are not "part of the rim" but rather part of the valve system typically, but yes, if your just swapping over tires then the TPMS sensors just remain with the wheel. Many people choose a dedicated set of winter wheels to allow for fast swap-out, no re-balancing, no re-mounting, and to protect the summer wheels, but what you are proposing works too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Technically, they are not "part of the rim" but rather part of the valve system typically, but yes, if your just swapping over tires then the TPMS sensors just remain with the wheel. Many people choose a dedicated set of winter wheels to allow for fast swap-out, no re-balancing, no re-mounting, and to protect the summer wheels, but what you are proposing works too.
Ah.. Ok..The reason I wasn't sure was that the TPMS system in my Honda Odyssey are metal valves and is definitely part of the rim, while the valves in the XC90 are rubber, so I wasn't sure if they were part of the Rim.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Have you adjusted the distance? I usually drive with the distance set to the minimum thus eliminating any unnecessary alarms.

·
Registered
427 Posts
if I recall correctly the system measures in "time to collision", that means 3 "units" are 3 secs, etc. Being time to collision determined by speed it will vary. I think that also relative acceleration/deceleration are taken into consideration. Basically the system is telling you to "STOP TAILGATE THE OTHER CAR" ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts