SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swedespeed News posted this story:

https://www.swedespeed.com/news/Volvo_News/volvo-predicts-20-25-increase-plug-hybrid-sales-end-year/

in which Volvo's CEO seems to be suggesting that Volvo isn't selling more PHEVs because of a battery-supply problem, and that they plan to increase manufacturing of T8s by 20-25 percent this year.
I wonder what dealerships would say? Are they getting PHEVs that are sold quickly, and they can't get enough PHEVs to supply demand?
I would think that Volvo's chances for more sales will increase as a function of battery capacity, and that the current 10-kWh battery pack is just not enough for most people to seriously consider the current line-up of T8s...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would say it’s a supply issue for sure. It’s especially evident via OSD, where T8 sell out quickly/early in the MY and it’s a way for Volvo to be able to plan based on their sourcing agreements/component supply they secure. It was especially obvious for ours. Typically they complete/build OSD orders within a month of delivery - or about the time they collect payment in full from the end customer greatly reducing their DSO; this was the case for our V40 and 2010 XC90. In the case of our T8, it was built within 1 month of order, and held for 3 additional months as a finished good prior to our payment 30 days before delivery. They likely had to balance component supply constraints (likely battery and/or ERAD and other unique PHEV components) to ensuring they would be able to make one to our spec. I’m sure they would rather not have built so far ahead from payment and increase their DSO (not that one sale with high DSO would be an issue for a company like Volvo, but it’s definitely something they’d rather not have as a rule). Long story short, I would tend to believe Håkan’s statement that they didn’t properly anticipate for the higher demand they are seeing of T8 models.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
T8 is definitely sweet for people with the right commute pattern. It looks a little complicated to most people but they will learn more on it. It saves gas like other hybrid but also is very powerful car, and quiet and with same cargo space. Truly no compromise.

Now more people are looking at EVs and some of them will love PHEV as well which is simply more convenient. Dealers still don't want to stock T8 and see it hard to find the right buyer. With cars become hybrid one way or the other, people will realize T8 is much nicer than mild hybrid setup.

I hope the production can be increased by getting more battery supply through connection with Geely. EVs are quite common in China and so are battery plants.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s definitely a supply issue. My dealer had 1 T8 across 4 locations which didn’t match specs and he said (which I did believe) that it wouldn’t last the weekend. We wanted something different and so we had to order one which took 4 months.

California is devouring them as there are few large SUVs that get you a HOV sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
California is devouring them as there are few large SUVs that get you a HOV sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, California absorbs most of the supply not only because of the very valid point you made but also the infrastructure is more supportive; you see charge stations in virtually every major shopping center, large public building parking lots, signs that provide reserved parking space for PHEVs and/or fully electric cars, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts