SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm looking into joining the Volvo family. I'm primarily looking for an '07 XC70 as I prefer the looks to the P3s. I came across this today and was wondering what you guys thought. I've read in a thread that if there's a tow hitch, run. If I go for a test drive, is there anything I should look out for? Could I haggle on the price? I'd most likely be paying cash since I don't know how reputable the dealer is. I'm going to ask for the service records before I go to check it out. Thoughts would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks very clean to me, guarantee they used back to black on those bumpers. I think there is a risk of buying a car with a tow hitch (mine has one too), but as long as you check the trans fluid and give it a proper test drive through each gear I wouldn't worry too much. Definitely do a decent amount of city stop and go driving (25-30 mins). Most transmission issues were well beyond cleared up during this time with P2s. AWD system might need servicing, PCV as well, make sure the timing belt has been done tool. I'd try to get the price lower myself. And yeah, those P3s don't make good wagons :nono:

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Looks like a nice Adventure series car with the better radio, watch dial gauges, better wheels, etc.

Price is already really decent so I don't think there's much room to go there. I would focus on suspension, transmission, AWD, PCV and then the typical things like brakes, tires. The hitch with the ball still attached suggests this was used for towing not just bike racks so I'd want to know what they were towing with it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Damn. The interior looks beautiful. That’s all I have to say. Seems like a very fair price assuming all the stuff already mentioned checks out.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's not SILVER BTW, it's Willow Green.

As was said, you need to drive it for at least 30-40 minutes as transmission shifting issues don't crop up until it's completely warmed up.
Feel the car carefully, it should not have even the lightest thunk on up shifting or down shifting, especially 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st gears.
Upshifts? Be aware of 2nd to 3rd gear shift flares

Check the AWD.
Best way if it's not raining is to find dirt or gravel, stop and punch it.
If you get ANY slippage or torque steer at all it mean the AWD is not working. It can cost anywhere from $200 to over $2000 (!!!) to repair it depending on what's wrong.

Check the breather system (PCV).
Look up the glove test for a 3 minute quick and easy test. Not a perfect test but it will give you a general idea if it's 100% clogged or not.

It's very cheap so my guess is that something is wrong and it will not be sold with any warranty.
Spend the $125-150 and have it checked out at either a Volvo dealer or a VOLVO specific mechanic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Copy the VIN # and get a CARFAX report ($50?) before you buy. My 07 said 100k on the odometer but the carfax said 200k.

My car also has the metallic willow green paint with dark tinted windows and it's got a lot of curb appeal for a 13 year old car. Something about the color scheme along with the Xenia wheels it came with, but when the light hits it the damn thing shimmers. I swapped the Tellus wheels from my 02 because they have more tread and that's reduced the "bling" factor. If I lived in Malibu I'd feel different, but when I'm rolling thru an intersection I'm not trying to attract any extra attention, especially from the PO-lice. Call me paranoid but I have a strong aversion to traffic court.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts