SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade from the k16 as I’ve maxed it out at 28psi. Any experiences with k24s as far as lag etc. Love the instant hit from the k16 but it gases mid 3rd. How quick does the k24 come on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
1st Q would be whose tune do you have for the K16? Unless it's Hilton, it's likely not mapped properly. Should be really good at 24psi. Above that, you are asking for engine damage. At 28psi, you may just be going flat / pulling timing, etc., if you are using Elevate, etc., for the tune...

K24 is not integral turbo/manifold so not bolt on

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st Q would be whose tune do you have for the K16? Unless it's Hilton, it's likely not mapped properly. Should be really good at 24psi. Above that, you are asking for engine damage. At 28psi, you may just be going flat / pulling timing, etc., if you are using Elevate, etc., for the tune...

K24 is not integral turbo/manifold so not bolt on
This particular unit?

Hilton tune, 98 octane and water/meth 50/50 mix. I make my own as I don’t trust the premixed stuff.

Fully built bottom end: Darton MID wet sleeves, Carrillo h-beam rods and Carrillo custom pistons and diamond file fit rings. Balanced internals and calico coated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get the vid? I think this software change has caused a few hiccups to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The FB groups have a little more feedback on this as alot of them are overseas. Can i call dibs on your K16 if you do upgrade?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The FB groups have a little more feedback on this as alot of them are overseas. Can i call dibs on your K16 if you do upgrade?
Lmao I was going to do this

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This particular unit?
Hilton tune, 98 octane and water/meth 50/50 mix. I make my own as I don’t trust the premixed stuff.
Fully built bottom end: Darton MID wet sleeves, Carrillo h-beam rods and Carrillo custom pistons and diamond file fit rings. Balanced internals and calico coated.
I see - yes that seems like a good way to go, given the prep work you have in place. What cams do you have?

I'm sure Hilton can tune that. I'd research what the power band is like in practical terms.

They want the K16 as a core

Did you get the vid? I think this software change has caused a few hiccups to say the least
I did.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see - yes that seems like a good way to go, given the prep work you have in place. What cams do you have?

I'm sure Hilton can tune that. I'd research what the power band is like in practical terms.

They want the K16 as a core

I did.
ENEM. Got a call into the builder about valve train. Researching converters as well. Slower going with Covid and all. Got my hands full with this new project. In the shop til’ 2am. Made some progress though.

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
15 Posts
Looking to upgrade from the k16 as I’ve maxed it out at 28psi. Any experiences with k24s as far as lag etc. Love the instant hit from the k16 but it gases mid 3rd. How quick does the k24 come on?
If they are taking your K16 unit and just doing their K24 Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo Charger upgrade to it then you shouldn't see a huge increase in lag. The integrated exhaust manifold / turbine housing will still have the same minimum area that feeds the turbine wheel, that along with the bearing design (journal or ball bearing) are mostly what determine the spool of the turbo.

The K24 Turbine wheel is a smaller jump in Inducer (Wheel OD) from the K16 than the OEM K04 to K16 was, most of the gain in the K24 wheel is that you get a larger exducer size so it allows more flow out of the turbo, hence allowing more max power potential.

So if they are using a lighter weight, lower blade count turbine wheel it should spool very well since the manifold/turbine housing limits how big you can go here.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they are taking your K16 unit and just doing their K24 Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo Charger upgrade to it then you shouldn't see a huge increase in lag. The integrated exhaust manifold / turbine housing will still have the same minimum area that feeds the turbine wheel, that along with the bearing design (journal or ball bearing) are mostly what determine the spool of the turbo.

The K24 Turbine wheel is a smaller jump in Inducer (Wheel OD) from the K16 than the OEM K04 to K16 was, most of the gain in the K24 wheel is that you get a larger exducer size so it allows more flow out of the turbo, hence allowing more max power potential.

So if they are using a lighter weight, lower blade count turbine wheel it should spool very well since the manifold/turbine housing limits how big you can go here.
Appreciate it. I "can" go big since the bottom etc. are out of the way, but I just don't need a much bigger improvement than the k16. A bit more in the upper revs and 3rd and 4th.
Here's a link to the unit I'm looking at.
I'll have to give them a jingle and see what they are using for bearings but I'm guessing ceramic ball.

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
15 Posts
Appreciate it. I "can" go big since the bottom etc. are out of the way, but I just don't need a much bigger improvement than the k16. A bit more in the upper revs and 3rd and 4th.
Here's a link to the unit I'm looking at.
I'll have to give them a jingle and see what they are using for bearings but I'm guessing ceramic ball.
Yeah I looked it up, it's not a ball bearing turbo and I'm pretty sure they don't upgrade that or need to.

The K16 compressor is not that good honestly, upgrading it is a good idea to something in the range that they are doing, even at lower power levels because you will be in a better part of the compressor map and have less heat generated by the turbo in the incoming air change.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I looked it up, it's not a ball bearing turbo and I'm pretty sure they don't upgrade that or need to.

The K16 compressor is not that good honestly, upgrading it is a good idea to something in the range that they are doing, even at lower power levels because you will be in a better part of the compressor map and have less heat generated by the turbo in the incoming air change.

The heat is definitely an issue, but it will always be an issue. If I put a gtx3071 on it, I’d still push it and have a heat issue. Hence the water/meth, and other heat mitigation. I’ll have to call them and see if ball bearing is an option. My real issue with the Borge warner integrated manifold is the ****e exhaust path. I might just end up going log manifold. A bit more work initially but if I need to swap out turbos waaaaay simpler down the road.

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
15 Posts
The heat is definitely an issue, but it will always be an issue. If I put a gtx3071 on it, I’d still push it and have a heat issue. Hence the water/meth, and other heat mitigation. I’ll have to call them and see if ball bearing is an option. My real issue with the Borge warner integrated manifold is the ****e exhaust path. I might just end up going log manifold. A bit more work initially but if I need to swap out turbos waaaaay simpler down the road.
The ball bearings is not an option, it would take a whole new CHRA unit and the turbine/shaft and compressor wheel would have to be different.

Heat is relative to where the compressor works on it's map.

I kinda do this for a living and have a stock K04 unit here I'm upgrading to a larger turbine and compressor wheel myself.... I'm only shooting for a 1 bar deal with a lot of other upgrades to max out the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The ball bearings is not an option, it would take a whole new CHRA unit and the turbine/shaft and compressor wheel would have to be different.

Heat is relative to where the compressor works on it's map.

I kinda do this for a living and have a stock K04 unit here I'm upgrading to a larger turbine and compressor wheel myself.... I'm only shooting for a 1 bar deal with a lot of other upgrades to max out the bottom end.
We make a little money going fast as well. Made some progress on the cage in the last couple days. We push everything to the safe ”edge”. I Guess, what I’m saying is that, if the packing fits, I would still push it to the point I would still need a bunch of heat mitigation. But that is good to know.

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
15 Posts
What I'm referring to is the fact when you compress air, you increase the heat of it.... all of the post turbo charger things you do to cool off the compressed air charge only improve power and durability.

Car looks pretty good!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I'm referring to is the fact when you compress air, you increase the heat of it.... all of the post turbo charger things you do to cool off the compressed air charge only improve power and durability.

Car looks pretty good!
Totally get it. The new build is using twin 85mm Garretts and straight methanol for fuel. Should be around 2500whp.

·
Registered
2012 C30 T5 R-Design
15 Posts
Totally get it. The new build is using twin 85mm Garretts and straight methanol for fuel. Should be around 2500whp.
I normally do designs on engines ranging all over the place... including some 2000+hp twin turbo V8s

The C30is my driver and I like playing around with things! Always something new to learn from

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I normally do designs on engines ranging all over the place... including some 2000+hp twin turbo V8s

The C30is my driver and I like playing around with things! Always something new to learn from
Grew up racing/building sprint cars. This new cage is a 25.3 After I get it sorted, on to the rearend, and custom fuel cell. Need to get it to the anodizer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts