SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings To All -

My 2000 V70 is in need of new brakes all around. This is my first advenure with brakes on this car (bought it used a few months ago). I have memories of my two deceased 740s, each of whom went through brakes about once a month at significant expense.

Midas offers the promise of lifetime replacement brake pads - very appealing. Their price is about $750 pads+rotors+ labor.

Local Volvo Dealer quoted me $1100 (not including VCOA discount). NAPA has parts for sale - $70/rotor, $56/ceramic pad, but I do not have time to do the job myself.

Thoughts? OEM vs replacement? Ceramic vs non-Ceramic?

Thanks - John - Proud VCOA member

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would be careful using midas equipment because volvo's have a tendency to squeak and squeal, a problem that is hastened by generic equipment. If you do go that route I would advise having them install OEM pads that you obtained on your own.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (King John)

I don't understand all these places, a one and a half hour job at the most.
You should be able to buy a good rotor retail for 75 bucks or so, ($300) Brembo make a nice spec rotor for Volvos. (I pay $60). You can use a Volvo pads or Mintex neither should cost more than $150 or so for (set of) four plus (on the high side here) $200 for labor which should put you no more than in the mid 600s.
JRL

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Find youself a good indy mechanic in your area. Find some other Volvo owners if you don't know of a good one and ask them. Then buy your parts at http://volvo.keystonemotors.com/ (you'll have to call them at 800-351-5077 for parts) or at http://www.fcpgroton.com and take them your parts. My indy recently did our front brakes, as well as full front and rear IPD swaybar installation with HD endlinks. Brakes included bleeding and included new DOT4+ synthetic fluid. Total cost was right at $400 because he had to take the car somewhere for an alignment which cost him like $60 for 4 wheels. It would have been that much cheaper if he hadn't have had to have done this. It pays to find someone you can trust and it's cheaper and well....it isn't Midas. Sorry, but I just don't trust those guys....and you pay for the "life time" stuff one way or another.

·
Registered
787 Posts

fcpgroton-dot-com has Brembo (if it's good enough for Porsche, its good enough for me) rotors for $43 -- and try the Volvo discounters - what did JRL post recently, Keystone Motors? or Nils Sefeldt -now Volvo of Houston - for pads. I wouldn't let the Midas guys anywhere near my car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (bill d cat)

I can't beat 43 bucks for rotors

(The shipping may be cost prohibitive, they're very heavy)

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (JRL)

Eeurparts.com has Brembo rotors for $39.95 each and shipping is free for any order over $39! Now, that's a deal!
http://www.eeuroparts.com/prod...=4398
The larger 12inch rotors are $49.99 (but still free shipping!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (MadeInJapan)

Good Morning All -

Thanks for your helpful tips. I'm checking our the options on eeuroparts, and I note that they have Zimmerman cross drilled rotors as well - pricey but I have heard that they last longer. Thoughts?

Also, I see they have Volvo OEM pads (most expensive) and also PBR Ceramic and lesser grades. I am tempted to go with OEM, but the PBR Ceramics look very similar.

Thanks for yor help.

John

2000 Volvo V70 Fire Engine Red

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I can't beat 43 bucks for rotors

(The shipping may be cost prohibitive, they're very heavy)

Good point.

http://www.alloemvolvoparts.com/ has Brembos for $48.44 with free shipping.

(As for the drilled and slotted rotors, I wouldn't bother unless I planned to track my car, and track it a lot. I'd just go for Brembo rotors and Volvo pads. Also, be sure to buy the Volvo Magic Brake Grease, it helps prevent the infamous Volvo brake squeal.)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I've had good luck w/ cross drilled rotors but they are more sensitive and you have to bed the pads in a little extra carefully on them but they do make the car stop faster and bite better.
However, I think many on the boards prefer slotted rotors for their durability.
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts

I had a set of Powerslot (slotted) rotors all around on my late S70. I got them from ipd- there was a sale with the metal master pads. The ones I got had a cadmium coating on the rotor hats and edges that made them pretty rust resistant. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (Wayne T5)

I got Zimmerman std. rotors and Mintex Redbox pads from eeuroparts.com No shipping charges, and no massive dust problems like the OEM Volvo pads. I don't get it w/ people paying stupid money for front brake jobs. I got quoted $450 P&L from the local stealer, $750 from Midas is absurd (even for all 4 wheels), and like someone else mentioned, I wouldln't let those clowns touch my car. There's a reason people spin wrenches at places like Midas, and not a good indy shop. Think about it.

Changing rotors is a pretty easy job. All you really need is a floor jack and some standard hand tools. IIRC, the allen head for the calipers is an 8mm. Everything else is ordinary metric tools.

I just checked eeuroparts.com, and you can get Brembo rotors and Mintex pads for ~$100 shipped. Rears will run about the same. The Zimmerman rotors will cost you another $25-$30. Even to the inexperienced, you shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do a front brake job. I can do it in <45 min. if I take my time. We've done pad changes during a race pit stop in something like 7 or 8 min. Granted, that's w/ somebody working on each wheel (fronts only).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Options for Brake Rotors and Pads (Mk1Racer)

Be sure to use Syl-Glide on the backs of the pads, unless you enjoy brake squeal. I bought a big tube at Napa for about $5, a lot cheaper than the usual online Volvo parts sites.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Re: (Stormin Norman)

Quote, originally posted by Stormin Norman »
You must have 17" or larger wheels for the upgrade kit.

To clarify and correct this statement...

For our 302mm upgrade kit, you do NOT need a minimum of 17" wheels. You will need 16" wheels at a minimum, but there are caveats to that as well. For example, a 16" 850 wheel (Columba) does not work with the 302mm rotor upgrade, but a 16" S/V/C70 wheel (Perfo, etc) does work.

Our WP Pro High Performance Braking Systems however, do require a 17" wheel, as the smallest rotor size is 330mm (up to 360mm available)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The Outcome

Greetings All -

I figured I should let everone know how it turned out. I purchased the brembos and the volvo pads from eeuroparts for a total of about $200. Then, I got charged about $250 to put them on (Labor + various brake lubricants that I did not supply - I know for next time).

All told, I got a quality job for about $550, which is $200 less than the scorned Midas, and a full half off the dealership.

Thanks for the tips!

John

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: The Outcome (King John)

Quote, originally posted by King John »
Greetings All -

I figured I should let everone know how it turned out. I purchased the brembos and the volvo pads from eeuroparts for a total of about $200. Then, I got charged about $250 to put them on (Labor + various brake lubricants that I did not supply - I know for next time).

All told, I got a quality job for about $550, which is $200 less than the scorned Midas, and a full half off the dealership.

Thanks for the tips!

John

Hope you like washing your wheels frequently.

$250 labor for a 4-wheels brake job is a good price from an indy shop. Figure most indy shops are $75-$85/hr for labor these days, that's ~3 hrs shop time. Not bad considering that they don't get to make any money on the parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.