SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm three weeks and 1200 miles into the new car (with a couple of 300 business trips already - whew!). I have to say that so far, I am impressed with the XC60.

Bought the car sight unseen - had seen an Ice White in person, but not a Cosmic White. Was a little anxious the day I was driving to pick her up - had that "ugh - what if I dont like the color" angst, and at that point, it had been shipped from another dealer, so the deal was done. However, I was immediately smitten, and in hindsight, realized that it probably would be my first choice. Its quite striking in person. I've had several white cars before, and this one is as good as any - and I simply LOVE the R-edition styling.

My intial thoughts - engine seems plenty quick. I havent really gotten into it hard yet (did the customary "break-in" for first 1,000 miles, as with all my other cars - and yes, I know it's not required). But even during the break in, I've not felt the car lacked any 'umpf' either in town, or on the highway. Very easy to get to 80 mph, and sits there without any problems. Ride and handling have been very good too - it rides smoother than my last mercedes (albeit an AMG), and it seems sufficiently quiet inside. One intermittent rattle from passenger door once or twice, but so far, seems like a very sound build.

Definitely liking the Nav set up. Of course, I am coming from the '07 Mercedes COMMAND system, which sucked (even in 2007), so anything is an improvement. But so far, I am impressed. The premium audio system is also fantastic - every bit as good as the Harmon Kardon and/or Logic7 systems in prior cars. The iPod via USB works great. Wish I could serach through artists via first letter of their name (scrolling through letters rather than all of them alphabetically), but still - controls on steering wheel via the computer screen work well. Havent started with the Bluetooth phone yet. The rear-camera is really great too - love the yellow tire tracking lines. Very cool. Also liked the white LED style lights on the front of the car - had no idea those were on the Volvo cars until I saw the reflection of my car in a window - very Audi like.

Interior seems plenty spacious and comfortable for me, my stuff and the kids in the rear. The finish on the R-edition interior is very nice. Very luxurious feeling. Havent figured out how to set the memory seats yet, since I am the only driver, it isnt an issue. My only big gripe is that the rear lift-gate does NOT open high enough for my height, and I have hit my head 3x on it (once hard enough to nearly knock myself out). :mad: [The kids heard a few choice words]. When its open, I can approach from the side and ease under without trouble (I'm 6'1 or so), but walking straight on (or straight back), its at head knocking height, and far lower than our xc90. Requires me to duck down a bit. I suppose I'm not a huge fan of the electric parking break feature (still have to move it both ways to remember which is "push" versus "pull". But those are the only two early gripes. And I wish it had an ashtray/coin holder, but not a big deal. [By the way - what does anyone use that small tight pocket for in front of the driver's seat?].

MPG has been pretty good so far 23.8 ave on first two tanks (using premium fuel).

There is one oddity - seems like from time to time, when I put the car into reverse, I hear a bit of a "twang" sound, which I also feel in the brake pedal, almost like a metal wire is being disengaged. Nothing substantial, but always makes me wonder what it is. Doesnt happen every time either - wondering if its associated with parking brake being disegaged or something. Anyone with thoughts?

In sum - so far I am pleased with the purchase, and the Cosmic White color is really fantastic. Gotten a couple of compliments from strangers on the car, which is always cool. I figured my days of auto envy were over after getting rid of the AMG, which drew a lot of comment.

And I'm enjoying this forum - kudos to the admins.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Very nice vehicle...and nice servants' quarters in the background ;) . Reminds me...I need to cut the grass tomorrow.

The metallic twang(most noticeable in reverse) has been discussed a bit...seems to be related to the ABS engaging and is 'normal'. It's often loud enough that folks standing by will think you ran over something, so be prepared.

I've hit my head a couple of times on the liftgate and I'm only 5'11". It's even more 'in the way' when you are in a hurry! Good news...it had no chance of hitting our garage door(unlike the RDX).(And yours is a bit faster than the '10 on opening and closing)

The small pocket on the front of each front seat is great for a pocket knife, MagLite or similar and a really flat pair of sunglasses in reserve. Wish we had that on the RDX.

I guess your memory seats are set through Sensus...we didn't have that on our '10, so I'm not familiar with it...same for the nav and audio.

I kept the ashtray/coin holder from one of our very earliest Volvos(along with a much cheaper one from Ford/Mazda back in the '01 Tribute). Fits pretty well into the cup holder(only in front for the C70,,,doesn't really fit the rear cup holder). A thick rubber band on the outside keeps it from vibrating and it's easy to remove when all cup holders are needed.

Enjoy the new ride!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Can you search by artist letter by hitting the numeric buttons (i.e. like a phone where 2 is ABC, 3 is DEF, etc.). I seem to remember that being available. 23.8 is impressive mileage...we are right around 20 in mixed driving. The equivalent feature-set in my Volt (backup camera, Bluetooth integration, etc.) make me appreciate the XC60! Still love the R-Design styling elements...really sharp.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Can you search by artist letter by hitting the numeric buttons (i.e. like a phone where 2 is ABC, 3 is DEF, etc.). I seem to remember that being available.
I can confirm that to be correct. Not ideal, but once you get used to it it's not horrible either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice vehicle...and nice servants' quarters in the background ;) . Reminds me...I need to cut the grass tomorrow.

The metallic twang(most noticeable in reverse) has been discussed a bit...seems to be related to the ABS engaging and is 'normal'. It's often loud enough that folks standing by will think you ran over something, so be prepared.

I've hit my head a couple of times on the liftgate and I'm only 5'11". It's even more 'in the way' when you are in a hurry! Good news...it had no chance of hitting our garage door(unlike the RDX).(And yours is a bit faster than the '10 on opening and closing)

Enjoy the new ride!!!
Thanks for the comments. And no, that is not my crib in the background - its the neighbor (behind my driveway) and the guy who owned all the land in our neighborhood at one point. Suffice that my pad isnt quite as large. :p

Very glad to hear the "twang" is a normal. I googled several words - should have thought about "twang" as well. Also glad to know the knots on my noggin from banging the liftgate arent unique to me either.

Can you search by artist letter by hitting the numeric buttons (i.e. like a phone where 2 is ABC, 3 is DEF, etc.). I seem to remember that being available.
I can confirm that to be correct. Not ideal, but once you get used to it it's not horrible either.
Great tips on using the keypad to alphanumeric search. VERY much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice pick on the Cosmic white! Wife really likes that color, but we couldn't get a car with all options we wanted in that color (We are in Australia). End up with Black Sapphire D5 R-Design Polestar.

I think the tailgate opening height is programmable; I am about 5'8. Make sure your tailgate is fully opened; open the door, then try to lift further up, and it may have more space to go. Then you can try to set it to higher opening position. I deliberately set the opening to lower as it will hit the garage rolling panel sometimes. Can't remember how did I configure it, something like set it the ideal position, press and hold both buttons on Remote and tailgate.

·
Official VCNA Account
66 Posts
Interior seems plenty spacious and comfortable for me, my stuff and the kids in the rear. The finish on the R-edition interior is very nice. Very luxurious feeling. Havent figured out how to set the memory seats yet, since I am the only driver, it isnt an issue. My only big gripe is that the rear lift-gate does NOT open high enough for my height, and I have hit my head 3x on it (once hard enough to nearly knock myself out). :mad: [The kids heard a few choice words]. When its open, I can approach from the side and ease under without trouble (I'm 6'1 or so), but walking straight on (or straight back), its at head knocking height, and far lower than our xc90. Requires me to duck down a bit.

lawguy,
We're thrilled to hear you're so please with your new XC60 R-Design! As far as the memory seat, hold down the memory button and the number you would like to select at the same time for a few seconds. That should do the trick. If you would like to program it to your key, that can be done through Sensus. As for the tailgate, you may find it is set in a memory position. Try pushing it up once it has stopped. If it goes up further, hold the button at the new position you would like to reset the memory at. Hope this helps, and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I JUST HAVE TO GET ME ONE. THE HELL WITH THE AUDI Q5. XC60 R here I come!!!!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are indeed correct - 2012 Owners manual:

ABS- the system performs a brief self-diagnostic test when the engine has been started and driver releases the brake pedal. Another automatic test may be performed when the vehicle first reaches 6 mph. The brake pedal will pulsate and a sound may be audible from the ABS control mudule, which is normal.

Now, if I could just figure out how to change the setting on the height of the lift gate. Tonight's project!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are indeed correct - 2012 Owners manual:

ABS- the system performs a brief self-diagnostic test when the engine has been started and driver releases the brake pedal. Another automatic test may be performed when the vehicle first reaches 6 mph. The brake pedal will pulsate and a sound may be audible from the ABS control mudule, which is normal.

Now, if I could just figure out how to change the setting on the height of the lift gate. Tonight's project!!
I want to thank you for passing this info along, I've been wondering about this for a while now as it kinda freaks me out when it happens. Keep us posted on the tailgate thing :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
lawguy,
We're thrilled to hear you're so please with your new XC60 R-Design! As far as the memory seat, hold down the memory button and the number you would like to select at the same time for a few seconds. That should do the trick. If you would like to program it to your key, that can be done through Sensus. As for the tailgate, you may find it is set in a memory position. Try pushing it up once it has stopped. If it goes up further, hold the button at the new position you would like to reset the memory at. Hope this helps, and congrats on the new ride!
Just remember that when you want to readjust your seat, hold the selected numbered button down all the way until the seat adjustment completes. If you just push the number and release, it won't readjust and you'll wonder what you did wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My only gripe so far is the mileage. We are almost all city driving and are getting between 17 and 18 mpg. And this is my wife driving - not me!!!! It seems to be in boost all the time.

Otherwise, the car has been great. We just went over 300 miles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My only gripe so far is the mileage. We are almost all city driving and are getting between 17 and 18 mpg. And this is my wife driving - not me!!!! It seems to be in boost all the time.
What fuel are you running? I am using premium (93) with the thought that if it gets 10% better mpg (not saying that is true, but "if" it does), then its worth the extra 10-15 cents per gallon to get a few more miles from the tank.

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

Otherwise, the car has been great. We just went over 300 miles.
From the safety of my bunkered computer room( :) ), I'll offer an observation that MANY more females employ the 'straight from the accelerator to the brake' style of driving as a matter of course. I'm not speaking of 'spirited driving' that might be enjoyed by ALL, but general driving in normal conditions. I drive as fast as the next 'guy', but I would wager I consistently get 10% better mileage than my DW or her sister or quite a large number of female drivers I've known over the decades. I suppose the only way to scientifically determine the accuracy of my observation would be to study gas mileage and brake life over a large segment of the population...something that I don't feel the 'need' to do. :)

I'm sure MrsRizzo is a talented, capable driver who is safe and loves animals, children and old folks; but, maybe she falls into the category I mentioned. :)

Just sayin'

BTW, without the significant number of highway miles on our '10 T6, I'd say our day to day average mileage would have been below 19(just under 20 with all driving included over the 56K miles, using a variety of octane ratings and getting better highway mileage from 87(over some 550 miles) than any other(plenty of other factors could have affected the outcome, for sure).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the safety of my bunkered computer room( :) ), I'll offer an observation that MANY more females employ the 'straight from the accelerator to the brake' style of driving as a matter of course.

Just sayin'
I got nervous that my wife might look over my shoulder when reading your post. Then I remembered that I have told her she's a lousy driver a couple of dozen times before.

I think you are right, though. Heavy on the gas to the next light, then heavy on the brake. I gave up trying to explain the issue to her. Its easier to just look out the side window.

Besides, I'm still recovering from the time I tried to explain that she didnt need to cram the car into the first parking spot at the grocery, and if she just went 3-4 spots down the row, she wouldnt get door dings. Not talking about 10 spots from the last car - just finding a better looking spot rather than the first available.

You can guess how well that went. :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm three weeks and 1200 miles into the new car (with a couple of 300 business trips already - whew!). I have to say that so far, I am impressed with the XC60.

Bought the car sight unseen - had seen an Ice White in person, but not a Cosmic White. Was a little anxious the day I was driving to pick her up - had that "ugh - what if I dont like the color" angst, and at that point, it had been shipped from another dealer, so the deal was done.

I have the same feeling. I plan on buying the XC60R in black without seeing OR test driving it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah. Her previous car was a VW Beetle 'vert, so she has been "horsepower deprived" for a while. Maybe she is making up for it.
While she was TDY for a week, I drove the XC and got the same 17MPG though. :(

It just seems like it is always in boost...makes it fun & kinda expensive.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
What fuel are you running? I am using premium (93) with the thought that if it gets 10% better mpg (not saying that is true, but "if" it does), then its worth the extra 10-15 cents per gallon to get a few more miles from the tank.

Just curious.
93 octane won't get measurably better MPG than any other octane given the same ratio of real gas to ethanol (don't compare 100% gas 93 OCT to E10 91 or 89 octane).

Higher octane will allow the engine to actually produce the advertised HP/torque, especially in hot weather. Lower octane will retard timing/limit boost to protect the engine resulting in lower power levels.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
93 octane won't get measurably better MPG than any other octane given the same ratio of real gas to ethanol (don't compare 100% gas 93 OCT to E10 91 or 89 octane).

Higher octane will allow the engine to actually produce the advertised HP/torque, especially in hot weather. Lower octane will retard timing/limit boost to protect the engine resulting in lower power levels.
Gotcha. Still worth a couple bucks per fill up, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts