SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into winter wheels for my XC60, I decided to buy new alloy rims as well to avoid damage to OEM rims during tire change process.

My XC60 has 235/60 R18 OEM tires/rims.

TireRack recommends downsizing to a 17" rim and a 65 h/w ratio to give more flexibility. I've also heard this rational from a few colleagues who regularly do this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, they are right. Real winter tyres has softer sides, for just keeping grip a bit longer. And when you have smaller rims effect is similar.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always run winter tires; on my chrysler town and country I've swapped summer/winter on OEM rims and had perfect results in winter. That vehicle has very similar curb weight to my XC60, but obviously different wheelbase/track.

I'll probably go with the downsized rim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm running 17" in winter too. Agree with D5GT for advantages. Also, in icy conditions, chances of sliding and kissing curbs are higher, so more rubber protects there too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
More tire sidewall will also give a softer and quieter ride as well. I am not a fan of large diameter wheels that many new vehicles including Volvos come with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My xc70 factory summer tires are 235/50/18
The recommended winter size is 235/55/17 ( maintains similar wheel diameter )

I have set of unmounted 17" volvo wheels and a set of barely used snow tires 235/65/17.
These are about 1" taller than 235/55/17.
Other than a slight change in speedometer reading, anything to worry about if I size up my winter tire ?

Thanks - Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts