SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed a set of the chassis braces from a C70 vert a few weeks ago, mainly because they were easy to get to and they were cheap.

I'm thinking about installing them on one of the 850's, and was wondering if folks had done this and had any feedback.

I may not use the front one, as I either need to swap front subframes, or fab up provisions to bolt it to the front, as there are threaded inserts in the convertible subframe, that aren't on the others. I might copy the Viva one instead. I do, however, prefer the triangulation of the stock piece, and a small plate wouldn't be too bad to fab up.

Coming from Fox-chassis Thunderbirds and Volvo 240's, which tend to get wiggly in some form, I tend to think about possible bracing solutions as part of the upgrade path.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the rear brace installed on my black 855R, along with delrin subframe bushings and powerflex black control arm bushings. It is on IPD sport sprints and bilstein HDs. Also has front and rear strut braces and has IPD sways all around.

It’s stiff.

You will need c70 rear subframe bolts and I believe they are the same bolts that hold the delta link in.

I have the c70 subframe from the same car the brace came off of and need to swap it in, but I need to switch to 4 bolt control arms first. I have an engine and m66 from an 07 S60 t5m that I intend to swap in, and the rear trans mount I bought uses the awd subframe, and I figured this was easier than getting another set of delrin subframe bushings for a v70 subframe.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can use the rear brace. Scottishbrick has done it before IIRC, in one of his many progression threads. I can’t speak for what kind of handling difference it would make but I presume it’ll be noticeable, it stiffens up the rear, which is what we want for a more neutrally handling car.

You can use the C70 front subframe, it’s much more rigid than the sedan/wagon subframe. I think it might have solid bushings from factory? Don’t quote me on that though. Installing it on an 850 will require updated control arms.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have the rear brace installed on my black 855R, along with delrin subframe bushings and powerflex black control arm bushings. It is on IPD sport sprints and bilstein HDs. Also has front and rear strut braces and has IPD sways all around.

It’s stiff.
Do you track this? I can’t even imagine how flat that must be around bends lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can use the C70 front subframe, it’s much more rigid than the sedan/wagon subframe. I think it might have solid bushings from factory? Don’t quote me on that though. Installing it on an 850 will require updated control arms.
I was aware of this. I pondered trying to futz with getting the subframe out of the car I grabbed the braces from, but wasn't really wanting to swap control arm styles (And didn't have the time to really deal with it). It was a '98 and had the solid bushings.
I was most likely going to use delrin bushings on my sedan when I drop things to do the manual swap.

·
Registered
17,301 Posts
I had one on and ended up taking it off for winter and clearance while swapping downpipes. You need all the hardware from the c70. It seemed to make a difference ie less dash squeak combined with delrin but I’ve never had that p80 dialed performance suspension wise with a brace on.

·
Registered
209 Posts

It does.

I also have a c70 delta link to install on this car. It’s slightly wider.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had one on and ended up taking it off for winter and clearance while swapping downpipes. You need all the hardware from the c70. It seemed to make a difference ie less dash squeak combined with delrin but I’ve never had that p80 dialed performance suspension wise with a brace on.
The rear subframe bolts at the front of the chassis brace are the lowest part on the car and bottom out frequently on my car. It’s low! Speed bumps, pulling in driveways etc

·
Registered
209 Posts
It’s my daily driver from April to November. I had quite a bit planned for it this year, and then my other 850R got hit by a semi and I’ve been working on its replacement since. I work 6 days a week most weeks and a lot of my projects take more than a day, so I can’t have it down that long.

Passengers don’t like this car one bit. My work commute is about 100 miles a day and it’s just me 90 of those 100. So I don’t give a rats ass about how the passengers feel about it :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my eyes on another vert in a yard. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend and the braces are still there.

·
Registered
17,301 Posts
Bleh 4 bolt arms. On that alone I’d stay away from the C70 subframe the control arms are 2x as expensive and a massive pain to change.

·
Registered
16,666 Posts
ride quality would be too abysmal to ever go fast enough to find out in my neighborhood LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
ride quality would be too abysmal to ever go fast enough to find out in my neighborhood LOL
Yeah the roads around here in many areas are fine but it seems like I come across some daily that make it impractical. I have a set of nebulas I was going to have repaired and powder coated but when I compared the expense to their longevity.... I decided to think about it for awhile longer before taking that jump!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Managed to snag another one of the larger braces this morning.

One of the threaded inserts was spinning in the subframe on the front brace, so I just left it. I can probably fab something better anyway if needed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Many years ago i replaced the puny chassis brace on my 94 850 wagon with the large wishbone shaped chassis brace from a C70. that and a rear chassis brace form quickbrickmotorsports (no longer in biz) were the best seat of the pants improvements i ever spent money on. DO IT!

·
Registered
16,666 Posts
Yeah the roads around here in many areas are fine but it seems like I come across some daily that make it impractical. I have a set of nebulas I was going to have repaired and powder coated but when I compared the expense to their longevity.... I decided to think about it for awhile longer before taking that jump!
I'd save the 18s for a P2. I'm running Capella on my S60 and it's fine. It would be....not fine on a P80 lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts