SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions. I've found two Volvo wagons near me to replace my '08 C30. I have a 21 month old with the second kid on the way so the C30 is just not enough car. Anyway. The two cars I'm choosing between are an '06 V50 and '06 CC70.

The V50 is a T5 auto with 89,000 miles. It was a locally owned, one owner car, serviced at a dealer most of its life, has lots of maintenance records, no reported accidents, built in booster seats in the rear.

XC70 is a two owner car, only 66,000 miles, one accident reported, and was a Florida car for two years before moving to NJ. Carfax didn't have very detailed maintenance records on this one.

My thoughts are, V50 is very similar to my C30 in terms of layout and obviously platform, gets better gas mileage. But XC70 is larger in terms of having two kids, and car has less miles, though less detailed maintenance.

I suck at making my own decisions, so wanted to see other people's opinions. Price wise, the V50 is listed at $9500 but there is plenty of room to negotiate. The XC70 is $9998 with a little less wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car for the money I would go with the XC70. We have a 2007, its our second one after the 2002 was totaled. Safety and comfort and the miles are next to nothing for a 2006. I would think the V50 is due a timing belt unless its been done already. Living in VA weather might not be an issue but I'm a big fan of AWD too. The only caveat I'd make is if you were able to find out the extent of the accident damage to make sure it was just cosmetic and not structural. Besides 2 little ones now, you'll be hauling more stuff too and its amazing what you can get in the back of a Cross Country. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,792 Posts
Car for the money I would go with the XC70. We have a 2007, its our second one after the 2002 was totaled. Safety and comfort and the miles are next to nothing for a 2006. I would think the V50 is due a timing belt unless its been done already. Living in VA weather might not be an issue but I'm a big fan of AWD too. The only caveat I'd make is if you were able to find out the extent of the accident damage to make sure it was just cosmetic and not structural. Besides 2 little ones now, you'll be hauling more stuff too and its amazing what you can get in the back of a Cross Country. Good luck.
I agree that the XC would probably be better for a growing family. I'm a little put off by the accident damage though, so I would personally keep looking. After all, there are a good many
XC70s out there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Grab that v50 trust me it won't be there long ..probably already gone....you totally don't need awd. V50 t5s are actually quite rare. We have two v 50s ..love them. Same car, less weight , less to go wrong. Both are great cars , but if your are not in the great white north ....the V 50 is it.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
You know what you're getting into with the V50. Same platform as the C30, same engine, mostly the same interior. Handling will be very similar. Is the V50 FWD or AWD?

The XC70 will provide more room for your family and for hauling stuff. AWD and more ground clearance.

I'd say, if you're looking for a wagon that you're already familiar with working on, get the V50. It's great for kids and not terrible if you're taking adults places.
If you plan on keeping this for family road trips once your kids are grown teenagers, the XC70 may be more comfortable.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. That is mostly where I am torn. The accident with the XC70, I can't seem to dig up what kind of damage was done. The dealer provided the carfax, and all that says is "Accident reported involving front impact with another vehicle. front area primarily damaged, vehicle driveable." the carfax also says New Jersey damage reports (where the accident occured) do not include assesment of severity but are required if estimated damage is over $500, which, lets face it, is almost any accident.

The V50 is definitely sportier, and I like the idea of better gas mileage. My wife also has an '06 XC90 we use for the long family trips, but I am the stay at home dad, so while I don't do the long trips, I will be spending more time driving the kids around. So I am torn between the better milage of the smaller V50, versus the long term potential of the XC70, that will have more room for when sports and other things come into play. Though I can always get a roof rack I guess.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
If you already have a bigger vehicle like an XC90, then I say V50 all the way! A "sporty compact" wagon providing extra space for the little things around town.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm heading to the dealer to look at and hopefully drive the V50 around for the day and see how many strollers and such I can cram in the back. Then tomorrow I'll probably be doing the same thing with the XC70.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just drove the V50 and it's solid. When I first looked at it, it had some major noise coming from the front end during acceleration but they took care of that, sales guy pretty sure they said it was the motor mounts. Only issue I found with the car are the rear speakers don't work. Drivers side rear only the tweeter is making noise, passenger works but is faded, and both really only work if you jack the volume all the way up. Minus that issue all electronics seem to function normally, lights work. Unless the XC70 really impresses me tomorrow, this may be my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts