SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are thinking about buying a 2008 XC90 V8 with ~30k miles on it. It has a clean CARFAX with all scheduled maintenance completed every 7,500 miles (about every 14–16 months in this case), no accidents, and 1 previous owner. Last item was a random coolant flush before the car was put up for sale a few weeks ago.

We took it for a test drive yesterday. Very smooth. I'm about to go put a deposit down on it after one more inspection tomorrow morning.

A few questions:

What is the car roughly worth?
What should I be looking for?
What should I expect as far as maintenance costs (especially compared to the 3.2 V6)?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mike,

Assuming we're talking about the same vehicle here... it looks to be extremely clean, and very will maintained from both pics and from what you stated. With that low of miles on a 2008, I'd say the asking price is pretty fair. Especially for all the 'bells and whistles' it has! Wow. Of course, you can (and probably did already) check/compare the asking price using various online websites... as I'm sure others will suggest as well.

We have a 2006 XC90 V8 and absolutely love it. We had an unfortunate costly repair on the tranny, but there was a valve body issue with that year into early '07 (see other threads if desired). It was actually my ignorance that lead us to buy the vehicle with an apparent issue, but I digress.

As far as maintenance costs, I can't comment too much... as we haven't really have to do too much to ours over the last 5 years we've owned it. The alternator died (same time as we had the VB replaced, perhaps a coincidence there), but other than a fuel pressure sensor and a few very minor things... it's been a GREAT vehicle, especially in the snow. Great engine, and just all around safe vehicle. We currently have 104k on it (bought it with 67k on it), and it still drives like 'new'... or almost new!

Check a few other threads here on SS, and you'll see the V8 XC90s and V8 S80s are very highly respected vehicles. We also have a 2010 S80 T6 and love that too!

Good luck with your purchase! Post back with results on how it goes! :)

Take care,

Gregg

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it's been well maintained, at that milage you should not be looking at anything beyond ordinary maintenance, though you'll be comping up on a major service Having bought older low mileage vehicles in the past, there are lots of components which depending upon your location which can deteriorate over the course of 8 years- hoses crack, bushings crack sensors die for no good reason etc especially if it has been sitting in a garage. Nice find though- Here is a link to the volvo scheduled maintenance- http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2008/2008_maintenance/2008_maintenance.html Probably KBB or Edmunds would give you the valuation, these are pretty rare and one in pristine condition with low miles may sell outside of book

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm sure others will jump in here soon, perhaps with some further thoughts that weren't already covered, but I will agree with Peterz... as long as it passing a 'good' thorough inspection (which if it is at the dealer I think it is, it should) regarding belts and hoses as such... then she should be good to go.

Upcoming maintenance schedules and services should be checked though, just so you know what the vehicle is going to need... so there are no surprises!

Best of luck Mike. She looks like a gem... and barely broken in. Wonder why the original owner would part with it? Perhaps that's worth asking the dealer if they'd know... which they may or may not.

Take care.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you are buying from a Volvo dealer and going to pay close to their asking price, negotiate to include a Volvo Warranty.

Otherwise, get Route 66.

Depending on the in-service date (which appears to be June 2008 if I have the right car ...), it should be eligible for one of these:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8945

The Volvo Increased Protection (VIP)

Volvo Increased Protection (VIP) plan is a fully customizable extended warranty contract that can be configured to suit your needs. You create the terms and mileage according to your driving habits. When you buy a Volvo, you want to be able to drive it for years without worrying about major repair bills. You can extend the coverage, and your peace of mind, beyond your standard Volvo warranty or add coverage those with no warranty remaining. There are deductible options that range from $0-300 as well as two different plan options; the VIP Exclusionary or VIP Stated Component. Each VIP plan includes complimentary Volvo Roadside Assistance for the entire timeframe of the warranty; regardless of mileage. You can purchase your VIP directly through any authorized Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder why the original owner would part with it? Perhaps that's worth asking the dealer if they'd know... which they may or may not.
They mentioned they know the guy. It was a trade-in. They didn't say what he traded-in for, but I was thinking most likely the new 2016 XC90. :)

One issue now is that it has a large scratch/dent going down the front passenger door, extending to the rear passenger door. After seeing it in person I went back and looked at the photos and you can barely see it - mostly only the dent because of the lighting.

They were hoping to bang it out, buff, and paint it but it didn't look good. They are now deciding if they want to fix it correctly or sell it someone else cheaper who doesn't care about the scratch/dent. We talked them down quite a bit so I'm thinking they're not going to make a profit out of this deal now and they're not interested in our deal anymore.

Anything I should be worried about with the scratch. It looks like they ran it along some kind of concrete barrier or something. I'm assuming on real body damage other than the door/paint?

We have a lot of time to shop around, so I only want it if they fix the scratch/dent. Especially as they seem to be asking a premium for it.

Depending on the in-service date (which appears to be June 2008 if I have the right car ...), it should be eligible for one of these:
http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8945
That's funny. I asked several times about any kind of warranty. They only offer 30 days, 50/50 on drivetrain - which I hear is a scam. They are already known for have very expensive repairs compared to other dealerships.

Maybe this is all a sign I need to pass on it...

·
Registered
844 Posts
One issue now is that it has a large scratch/dent going down the front passenger door, extending to the rear passenger door. After seeing it in person I went back and looked at the photos and you can barely see it - mostly only the dent because of the lighting.
That's too bad.

Is it Ember Black or Sapphire Black?

I hear both blacks are extremely difficult to match, especially ember black. It can be done, but it will cost ...

Unless you can get over this part, don't even concern yourself with any warranties.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's too bad.

Is it Ember Black or Sapphire Black?

I hear both blacks are extremely difficult to match, especially ember black. It can be done, but it will cost ...

Unless you can get over this part, don't even concern yourself with any warranties.
Right you are.. I learned that first hand- when I bought my sapphire black xc90 it had some slightly deep surface scratches in the left and right rear painted fender flares as well as scratches along the very bottom edge portion of the painted bumper cover where it meets the lower front fender flare. Very minor but with new fender flares ( 65.00 part)the paint and matching was about 800.00 out the door and you couldn't see the scratches from 20 feet before it was painted. The car is flawless now but all three estimates were in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the feedback everyone. We put a deposit down on it. $1,000.

The car is Ember Black. It's in the body shop now — they decided to do the repairs correctly. The deposit is fully refundable is we don't like the look of the repairs. It's in Chicago so I'm expecting some good work. We'll find out Friday.

We ended up getting it for 19.5k before taxes, about 19k total after taxes and our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (115k miles) trade-in. It's on the high end of the KBB, but I don't think another late model, low mile, well maintained, black/black, V8 will come available anytime soon.

I tried getting a warranty, but they weren't budging much after dropping 4.5k off the sticker price. :p

·
Registered
563 Posts
Great to hear Mike! Orloff should take care of it properly. They're a well-known, highly respected Midwest Volvo dealer... for over 50 years. I would like to 'think' they'd do a good job with that repair.

Personally, IMHO, you got a great deal on a very nice vehicle. From what I've seen, V8s don't come around that often... and one's with the features it has, and with that low of miles on it. I think you'll love it. Hopefully the door repair turns out nice for you.

Congrats!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a 2008 XC90 V8 that we bought new and did European delivery.
Now at 99,000 miles and it's been solid. Only maintenance items so far.
We have been diligent with maintenance too.
Handles winter conditions very well.
Wife still loves it and has no interest in replacing it anytime soon.
One with 30k miles is quite a find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We finally picked it up yesterday! $19,160.60 out the door. The body work came out great - good as new. One little scuff still on the front driver-side bumper, but I can live with that on an 8 year old car.

We drove it north on the highway for ~5 hours today and it was everything I expected - very smooth! A lot of features I wasn't aware of as well. I went though the owner's manual tonight so I can actually make use of them. :p

Thank you for the help/feedback everyone!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Very nice! Congrats! Could you show a picture of the removed dent/scratch? I'm curious how well the paint matched.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We finally picked it up yesterday! $19,160.60 out the door. The body work came out great - good as new. One little scuff still on the front driver-side bumper, but I can live with that on an 8 year old car.

We drove it north on the highway for ~5 hours today and it was everything I expected - very smooth! A lot of features I wasn't aware of as well. I went though the owner's manual tonight so I can actually make use of them. :p

Thank you for the help/feedback everyone!
Congratulations on the new car. Looks great!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
you say 8 year old car??? I am curious as to why its so expensive all the way up to 19k... I got mine for 13k or about 14.255 out the door and that was a good 6 months ago now.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's an executive model and probably has all the features. It also has unheard of low mileage.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you say 8 year old car??? I am curious as to why its so expensive all the way up to 19k... I got mine for 13k or about 14.255 out the door and that was a good 6 months ago now.
What was the milage when you bought it?

The car was listed at $23,995. I think it was a combination of:
- Low milage (33k)
- Full CARFAX history of service every 7,500 miles (sometimes much earlier). The same dealership (Howard Orloff) sold the car new, did every service, and sold it to us.
- It's Chicago (10% tax + other city fees). :p

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
What was the milage when you bought it?

The car was listed at $23,995. I think it was a combination of:
- Low milage (33k)
- Full CARFAX history of service every 7,500 miles (sometimes much earlier). The same dealership (Howard Orloff) sold the car new, did every service, and sold it to us.
- It's Chicago (10% tax + other city fees). :p
Thats awesome, I am originally from Chicago, my folks still live there so I visit quite a lot.
That is crazy low millage and I am happy you guys snagged it, i would have too at that price.
Mine was up there 120k listed at 15k lowered down to 13k. From October to now I racked up 11k miles... so i guess you can say the value of mine will plummet. It will probably hit 200k in 2 years.

Safe motoring. The car looks amazing too in black!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts