SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thoughts on 2017 s60 T6 R-design Platinum AWD

Going to look at a 2017 s60 T6 R-design Platinum AWD today, anyone have personal experience with this model. Things you love/hate, common issues ect. It's certified pre-owned with 32,598 mi.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 2016 T6 RD Platinum AWD and love it. Some others may be able to chime in here, but I have read some less than stellar things about the first couple production years of the 4 cylinder T6 engine (the turbocharged and supercharged version). Something about excessive oil consumption, maybe overheating?

I was only considering the 3.0 I6 version, when I was shopping around. Has worse fuel mileage, but it is a time tested and proven platform. They had plenty of years to work all the bugs out of it. Something about twin charging a 4 cylinder to make that much power made me skeptical about durability. Plus as a general rule I try to never buy the first version of a new car or engine platform. They can test in the lab all they want, once it hits production and sees real world use there are bound to be some unforeseen issues.

Edit: I may have been wrong above. If you read 2015 and 2016 S60 reviews on the interwebs, almost every bad review is about the T5 Drive-E 4 cyl model, (many of then being engine related) and cheap tires on the Chinese made Inscription models. I don't really see any bad reviews about 2017 T6 engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Owned our 2016 s60 t6 rd platinum from new, covering a bit over 50,000 miles.

A supremely satisfying drivers car, with just enough luxury to comfort during bumper to bumper traffic.

If you find reasons to take the road less traveled, with lots of curves it’s your best choice.

But never forget that it’s a Volvo, and by nature is far more difficult to find competent service or to find parts for.

The amount of warranty work to resolve mechanical issues has been significant, but to be honest my previous experience has been with Subaru’s that would run for 300,000mi with oil changes then spit out a head gasket.

Would buy the s60 rd again, based on having a factory warranty with a platinum long term Volvo warranty extension plan.

Buying used? Make sure you can tolerate the occasional 4 figure repair bill that will become part of the ownership experience.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought a 2017 S60 T6 R-D and love it. I have put almost 3K miles on it in over the past 3 weeks (it had 50K already, high mileage for a 2017 and climbing haha), and so far no issues whatsoever, and surprisingly no oil consumption. I did get an extended warranty through Volvo as I, too, was skeptical about twincharging and reliability.

Very smooth transmission (much better than the T6 6-cyl 6-speed) and smooth engine for a 4-banger. Pros: GREAT mileage for a 300+ HP car (my best so far is 33.2 MPG, 5 MPG better than my best on my old T6), good transmission, premium everything on the platinum, very clever eco mode, fun supercharger whine (although not very loud), and handling is marginally but noticeably improved thanks to lighter weight. My gripes: Engine sound is obviously not as great as a 6-cyl and not quite as fast, auto start/stop is not as smooth as in other cars and cannot be disabled permanently (must be disabled upon each start if you so choose) but I have grown used to it, and Poelstar tune is extra (vs. standard on the 6-cyl models). Not much available in the aftermarket department... yet. I wish there was a way to just use Google Maps for navigation within Sensus (the navigation app is too slow to update traffic patterns, but does so eventually and usually too late if connected to the internet). The quality of leather seems to have also changed. The earlier leather was definitely a higher quality and more smooth; the new perforated leather seats offer better bolstering but the leather is definitely not as high a quality, but definitely feels much more durable. Overall, fun and (so far) reliable car - definitely recommend it if the price is right.

My 6-cyl T6 had transmission issues (fixed under warranty) and some oil consumption issues (~1 quart every 7-8K miles, within reason). Our XC60 had some A/C issues. Roof drains seem to always get clogged on the P3 platforms as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2017 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar Tune, and I absolutely love it. I bought mine with 13 miles on it last November (and still got the CPO warranty) and have put almost 10k on it so far. Like rallyr32 said, not much in the aftermarket department yet but I always keep my eye out just in case something neat pops up.

Once you get out on the road and have a chance to open it up, it's a hell of a fun car to drive. My only complaint is the premium stereo system could be a little better (I've heard the new generation premium audio blows this out of the water), so I've started to look around for aftermarket solutions.

Good luck! Give us an update after the test drive :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've got a 2017 S60 T6 R-Design w/Polestar Tune, and I absolutely love it. I bought mine with 13 miles on it last November (and still got the CPO warranty) and have put almost 10k on it so far. Like rallyr32 said, not much in the aftermarket department yet but I always keep my eye out just in case something neat pops up.

Once you get out on the road and have a chance to open it up, it's a hell of a fun car to drive. My only complaint is the premium stereo system could be a little better (I've heard the new generation premium audio blows this out of the water), so I've started to look around for aftermarket solutions.

Good luck! Give us an update after the test drive :)

She fell in love during the test drive. Ended up buying it. She got extended warranty so it is good for the life of the loan up to 75k miles, on top of her current warranty, so she is covered over 100k miles. Added a picture, mine is the s60R (I may have influenced her a little bit)

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Hey! Another NH member! Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats, I drive a 2018 S60 R Design platinum that I ordered from the factory and absolutely love it. I talked to another R owner parked near me one day and she said she thought the R refers to “Rocket”.

I have 14,000 miles on the car now with no regrets and no issues other than the occasional clunk when shifting into park outside the garage door. My highest mileage was 33 mpg driving home from the coast which has many miles of downhill.

The seats are the best as many have said on this forum and the ac cooling is better than any of the Honda’s I owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts