SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, know this is a biased forum, but wanted some thoughts on a car I'm considering purchasing. I currently own an '08 C30, and currently have a 21 month old kid with another coming in January, so the two doors and cargo capacity of my current car won't work. I've been trying to find another manual Volvo wagon, but pickings are slim, so I increased my search to include a autos as long as they were T5's. Anyway, I'm rambling, below is the car I've found nearby, price looks good, mileage looks good, one owner car. Want so,e opinions from fellow Volvo owners about thoughts and feelings on the 2006 V50 T5 auto, and please, pull no punches.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/650568743/overview/

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Car is gone!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is very disheartening considering I just spoke to someone about the car yesterday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, how about people just give me some thoughts and opinions on the V50 in general then. I'm trying to find a more family friendly car, prefer manuals, but will take an auto if it's T5. AWD is not a necessity

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I purchased \/ about 4 months ago - prior to that I had a S40 2.4i M56. Here's my thoughts on the V50: equally as good looking as the sedan if not better, easy to work on, good (but not luxury) interior, excellent ergonomics, decent backseat size and headroom, good storage / storage flexibility, T5 is a more refined / useful engine than the 2.4i but a bit more complicated (turbo), T5 engine is tuned for everyday torque / power and has very little turbo spooling, handles fairly well in stock form, ride is a bit sporty / firm. Other than that, it's basically the same chassis and drivetrain as the C30.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. As for XC60, honestly not a fan of SUVs or whatever term they go by these days. Was born and raised on 240 wagons, and I am a wagon fanatic for life. Hoping to find a nice manual wagon, and second kid isn't here yet, so not in a rush yet to get a car, but want to keep my option open and get he opinions of current owners. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
555 Posts
My V50 is the first automatic I've ever owned. Always said I would never buy one but had the same issue you are having with finding a manual one. Mine was in desperate need of trans fluid replacement when I bought it (lifetime fluid, yeah right.) but other than that I havent really had any complaints about it. Can at least pop it into "manual" mode for those times you need it to hold a gear.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Ok, no pulling punches. My next car will be a wagon too. IMO you should also consider the P2 06-07 V70 2.5T. I'm not a fan of the XC60 either and think it's really quite ugly. I'm sure it's a kick in the pants in T6 trim, but that's about the only alluring thing to me. I really like the looks of the V50 T5 in Dynamic or R-Design trim, but it's a tad too small for me and I found the whole powertrain/tranny/suspension setup in my S40 to be less refined than I imagined. The V70 2.5T is bigger, more comfortable, but styling is a little bland. That can be fixed though (aftermarket grill, rear spoiler, Pegs ... all of which I already have waiting lol). Even though the motors are essentially the same (except 14T vs K04 turbo) the P2 2.5T drivetrain match is much smoother and more refined. If you need more power the 16T+tune could be a nice upgrade, plus you can also Polestar these two model years. Now before the rest of you guys start hating on me :), I really could see myself in either wagon, but personally I give the slight edge to the V70, YMMV. And my thoughts here are all about auto-tragics ... the idea of manual trannys sounds good to me, but family dynamics require an auto.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Here's the thing though, there's horror story upon horror story about the P2's AW55 geartronic auto, so I would be hesitant to go that route. Perhaps the p1 AW55 geartronic got the software updates and now, seemingly, all is good, but it's not a risk I was willing to take. Having said that, I almost went the p2 route when looking for a awd volvo wagon. I think the V70 is a pretty great looking wagon (especially the XC70) and before anyone cries "it's just so big", the measurements are smaller than an a similar year outback. And, the 2.5t in a P2 is almost as fun to drive as the p1 T5, even though it's heavier and has less hp. Breaking point for me was how it drove - like a much much bigger car. I always felt that the v70 / xc70 is a perfect car for a full sized family + dog. As a 30 something unmarried guy, I just couldn't part with the idea of a manual transmission and fun twisty mountain passes. One good thing though, the P2s seem less sensative in the CEL department than the P1s. Something to keep in mind when owning a car long term (cough, cat converter)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome info and advice guys thanks. I've been searching for pretty much any manual I can find, but if I end up going auto, I'd like to go V50 T5 or an 06-07 XC70. I don't mind the look of the V70, but if I end going bigger wagon, I'm going with some extra ground clearance, and wit wife's hopeful approval, a set of Bad Swede lift springs and larger tires �� Then again that would throw MPGs right out the window. But def looking more toward P2 06-07 V70/XC70s

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So I am all about the V50. I have a 2006 T5 AWD AUTO, and I love it, the thing is an absolute monster in the snow with snow tires.
Its small and tight especially when you wear thick winter jackets in the winter but in general its not the most spacious compact out there.
Trunk is small but thats ok.
Mine has 128k when i bought it, and now has 150k a year later. I had to repalce the LCA and Steering ball joints and align the car, its back to perfectly tight no clunks nothing.

The gearbox works perfect with all these miles, shifts smooth but with a hint of achievement, some cars you just cant tell that it upshifted mine has a tiny bit of bump that indicates to your rear end that a gear change has happened.

Drivetrain is solid, brakes work great especially with 320mm set up, and the MPG sux I usually get 28 hwy in the summer in the winter i have gone down to 21-22 on a good day. NOt good for a small car but considering AWD and winter tires i suppose its not much to complain about.

I find it the tank is small but i have 80mi/ commute a day so i go through a tank every 2.5-3 days so im at the gas pump often filling up a good 9-10 gal per stop and with 20mpg average you can imagine you have to keep an eye on the gauge quite a lot.

Normal maintenance and considering how rust free the car is even though i live in Michigan with crap roads and salt in the winter the car is great!!!

I would jump on another one in a heart beat for sure.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Awesome info and advice guys thanks. I've been searching for pretty much any manual I can find, but if I end up going auto, I'd like to go V50 T5 or an 06-07 XC70 ... But def looking more toward P2 06-07 V70/XC70s
You won't be disappointed with the 06-07 XC70 - they're great looking cars, especially in the lighter colors with a spoiler. The V50 T5 is a great car too, just less utilitarian (though far more utilitarian than the S40) and it doesn't have quite the cushy interior. Which, for me, was fine but I could see if I had a wife and kids in tow that the XC70 would outshine the V50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts