SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been for sale for awhile and I’m think of going and taking a look at it. Called dealer and he said it smokes but couldn’t tell me from what. I have purchased from this dealer before and they don’t have a clue about their inventory. What do you guys think? Can you really go wrong with a $500 purchase? Miles seem high.

Here’s the ad

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1e61da6e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Forget it. You could take the $2000 you’ll spend on a new motor/fixing what ever else you need it and still have a worn out car with a bunch of miles, or buy a clean one with 100k for the same money.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Probably blown turbo leaking oil down the exhaust. Offer him $300 if you are feeling adventurous. I bought a 2001 for $350 a few years back which I ultimately considered a parts car since it was same color as my 2002. Was also smoking like a chimney. Impeller was broken in half. Clogged muffler, needed oil pan rings as well. Repairs cost me maybe 100 bucks but the car turned out to be great afterwards. I ended up selling for $1200 last year. Regret selling it because it drove quite nicely and cost me basically nothing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably blown turbo leaking oil down the exhaust. Offer him $300 if you are feeling adventurous. I bought a 2001 for $350 a few years back which I ultimately considered a parts car since it was same color as my 2002. Was also smoking like a chimney. Impeller was broken in half. Clogged muffler, needed oil pan rings as well. Repairs cost me maybe 100 bucks but the car turned out to be great afterwards. I ended up selling for $1200 last year. Regret selling it because it drove quite nicely and cost me basically nothing.
Thank you! I will offer him $300. See that’s what I was thinking. Even if I have to put $1,000 in it to fix I’m still only into it for $1500 and could be a decent car. If it’s that bad I could probably nab some parts off it for my 03

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Did you check the ad again?
It's been removed so it's probably sold by now

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check the ad again?
It's been removed so it's probably sold by now
I checked it this morning and called and told them I would be by this afternoon and they said it was still there. Oh well. It did have a lot of miles

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You'd be surprised what people will pay $500 for.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I mean, you can probably make more than $500 parting it out if it turns out to be a turd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my 02 XC for $1000 with 132*** on the clock and it came with a $400 roof box and crossbars. Good ones are out there. I was able to nitpick the seller down on lack of maintenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts