SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added an k&n air filter in my 2006 xc90 2.5t and was not very happy with it I lost mpg and was afraid of fine dirt would pass the filter, I removed it and put my sock filter in and gained my lost mpg back.

What do you guys think about k&N air filters for your volvo?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Any K&N will let more dirt through. If you are in a race environment where you replace or rebuild often they are fine. For the
car owner they can cost more than just replacing with paper. They can also oil up the MAP sensor that will have to be replaced.
Paper filter will out filter any oil/gauze filter.

·
Registered
668 Posts
^^^ yep what he said.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Any K&N will let more dirt through. If you are in a race environment where you replace or rebuild often they are fine. For the
car owner they can cost more than just replacing with paper. They can also oil up the MAP sensor that will have to be replaced.
Paper filter will out filter any oil/gauze filter.
All that dirt must increase engine life. Installed K&N filter kit on new 2001 Chevy S10, sold it with 173,000 miles engine ran perfect.
Also installed K&N filter kit on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee purchased new, have 158,000 miles on it now, runs great.
My 2005 Tundra has 73,000 miles with K&N filter kit installed. MAP sensor never cleaned or replace on any of autos have installed K&N filter kits on.
Yes if you over oil filter after cleaning, you will have problems. Just read instructions with K&N oiling kit, you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on a fancy race-boy AIR FILTER and think for one minute you are increasing the performance of the car. It is a total waste of money and you run the risk of the oil needed to make the K&N work half way good on your MAF system, causing so many problems in some of the Porsche cars, that the REPUTRABLE and HONEST top-of-the-line vendors quit selling them (they were causing all kinds of problems with the MAF system).

I speak from experience, having wasted my own money, and having experienced the problems. Therefore I burned mine I was so disgusted.

I found the paper filter to work just fine, note how many long additional filter square inches of pleats the paper filter actually has. K&N claims a square inch of their filter flows more air and it does, with more dirt too. However, if you add up the additional filter area of the paper filter, you get the same amount of air passing into the motor and a heck of a lot better filtration.

Unfortunately I bought two of these filters for two of my 3 Porsche cars, before I got the message from Wally Plumley, ex NASA engineer and present day Porsche 928 expert. I'm just trying to pass it on, because I think the K&N is a rip-off and I do not condone their marketing message. On race engines that have been punched up to double their original horsepower, then yes that may be a situation where the original equipment air box and filter system is challenged, but certainly not on a stock or near stock automobile.

Technically there may be a nano-bit of additional horses on some motors, but this is hardly a performance enhancement.
If the K&N marketing still has you as a believer, then go ahead and BUY ONE, it is your money, your decison, and your car.................and then when you do buy one, place a little dab of grease or something inside your air box to see what it catches by getting through the fancy filter you just bought.

best,

P

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it fails it can cause severe damage to your turbo and the cylinder walls on tighter tolerances. The slang term is called "Dusting". Of all the aftermarket air filters KN has the lowest filtration numbers. When it comes to air filters and performance weather MPG or horsepower, there are a lot of factors involved for you to notice any difference. Choke points on intercoolers and intake piping, heatsoak from drawing in hot air from the engine bay are all factors. In short, "better" air filters (contextual) aren't beneficial over paper until it starts to increase the responsiveness of the turbo and usually that takes added fuel (larger injectors) and larger exhaust to increase airflow through the motor.

In short on this application it's a waste of money and dangerous to your motor and turbo.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Get a good paper filter and use that instead of a K&N. I have a K&N in my car, noticed absolutely no difference.

If you oil it correctly you greatly reduce the possibility of a MAF problem - the instructions say to oil, then blot it dry with a towel. Most people spray way too much oil on it and throw it back in the box, causing those problems that people describe.

I have a K&N in both of my subarus and my XC90 V8 - both subarus in 60 and 70k miles, just hit 100k in my Volvo last week. No MAF problems.

If you're looking for a performance boost ,just fill it up with premium fuel. The ECU will detect the higher grade fuel and advance timing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have to agree drop in K&N filter might provide little performance gains, no experience with drop in K&N filters.
Plenty of experience with K&N cold air kits. Been to few dyno days with my covette, seen in person 20 plus HP gains in C5 and C6 corvettes, with just addition of K&N cold air kit. www.corvetteforum.com has plenty of before and after dyno run posts with K&N cold air kits.
As far as dirt, go to any Jeep forum, see what filter kits being used in hours of dusty off road driving.
My experience on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4X4 speaks for itself. 158xxx miles with 2000 plus miles being off road dusty conditions, not one sensor or motor problem. Have gone on off road trips, where filter had to be cleaned on return home. Never found any dust or dirt in filter tube.
If you do not follow instructions on how to clean and oil K&N, of course you are going to have problems.
My XC90 T6 would have K&N cold air kit if they made kit for XC90.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I actually wrote a good spirited and well intentioned letter to the owner of a particular Volvo Parts Distributor, and suggested he should not be selling the K&N filters as a performance booster because it was not a credit to the integrity of his company. I obviously felt strongly about this issue. I mentioned the fact that most manufacturers knew enough to size the air box where just flipping in a foam air filter would not produce anything of measurable value, and the oiling issues. The letter I got back was appreciated, the tone was good and I respect him for that. I was a bit disappointed however, in the underlying defensive nature of the comments, which I fairly well expected to be honest, when he said he actually tested the K&N on his Cadillac STS and it fan faster. Well I thought, so much for Cadillac, but what about all the Volvo people he was selling this stuff to under the guise of a performance enhancement, and all the potential heartache it might cause by affecting the MAF, etc.

So much for being an activist letter-writer. The message here is: you simply can not bite on much of the marketing hype people invest lots of font, text, and photos in. Forums like this serve a purpose, we get to share the info and exchange ideas without being tainted by motivation for sales or income.

best,

P

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've run a K&N filter in my Audi for ~140k miles with no issues. During that time I didn't have to buy any paper filters, so after the K&N filter plus recharge kit I probably spent half as much on filters as had I stayed with paper. I just put a K&N in my xc90. Paper filters for the xc90 are about half the cost of the K&N already and since I already have the recharge kit I'll be saving money in no time. The chance that anything big enough to damage your engine will get through either type of filter is unlikely. Yes, you do have to worry about the MAF. The gains of a K&N filter at anything other than wide open throttle are bound to be minimal, since the MAF calibrates the fuel needed to the amount of air entering the engine. The increased flow of the K&N might give you an advantage at higher altitudes, but I doubt it. For me it's all about the Benjamins.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have had one on my 240 and S60R. Every time you recharge it just clean the MAF. Saves some money and sounds throatier.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Only problem with silica, it is harder than iron and it ends up in your oil once it grinds its way by your piston rings. Once in the oil it has access to all critical parts of the motor including turbo and main bearings and camshaft. You get silica from dust from concrete and asphalt roads and of course dirt or sand roads. If you do an oil analysis you will find silica, guess how it got there. Is silica in your oil a good thing? Well I don't see oil companies adding it, and if your oil test shows silica content it obviously did not get caught in the oil filter. People who have K&N filters generally like them because they bought them. I burned mine when I saw all the dirt getting through to the grease dab I put in the filter box. Your car, your money, your choice.

Regards

P

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
. I burned mine when I saw all the dirt getting through to the grease dab I put in the filter box. Your car, your money, your choice.

Regards

P
:thumbup: I got rid of mine a long time ago although I did not indulge in the pleasure of burning it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Only problem with silica, it is harder than iron and it ends up in your oil once it grinds its way by your piston rings. Once in the oil it has access to all critical parts of the motor including turbo and main bearings and camshaft. You get silica from dust from concrete and asphalt roads and of course dirt or sand roads. If you do an oil analysis you will find silica, guess how it got there. Is silica in your oil a good thing? Well I don't see oil companies adding it, and if your oil test shows silica content it obviously did not get caught in the oil filter. People who have K&N filters generally like them because they bought them. I burned mine when I saw all the dirt getting through to the grease dab I put in the filter box. Your car, your money, your choice.

Regards

P
Very surprise my Jeep Grand Cherokee still running strong with 158XXX miles on K&N filter kit:eek: Better buy some lottery tickets as my 2001 S10 was still running strong with 173500 miles when sold with K&N filter kit..
Care to post links of all damage done by K&N filters to motors:thumbup:
Still find it odd, most of the off road Jeep guys all use K&N filters without problems.
My real life experience has been nothing but trouble free high mileage motors with K&N filters;) My Corvette only has 35XXX trouble free miles with K&N:D
Please post some facts, not just your opinion:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very surprise my Jeep Grand Cherokee still running strong with 158XXX miles on K&N filter kit:eek: Better buy some lottery tickets as my 2001 S10 was still running strong with 173500 miles when sold with K&N filter kit..
Care to post links of all damage done by K&N filters to motors:thumbup:
Still find it odd, most of the off road Jeep guys all use K&N filters without problems.
My real life experience has been nothing but trouble free high mileage motors with K&N filters;) My Corvette only has 35XXX trouble free miles with K&N:D
Please post some facts, not just your opinion:thumbup:
You ask and we shall provide

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

·
Registered
128 Posts
K&N bashers have held Mr. Spicer as a god. Who knows what ageneda Mr. Spicer has?
Its known Mr. Spicer's test violates protocol test ISO5011.
Indepedent testing shows K&N filters, filter out on average 97 to 98% of dirt. 97% or 98% filtering enough to get few hundred thousand miles out of your motor?
My real life experience has been two cars with close to 200,000 miles purchased new. K&N kit installed shortly after purchase. No motor or Maf problems on cars todate.
Performance wise have been to Corvette dyno days. Seen in person few times stock Corvette dyno, Corvette's have K&N kit installed. Re dyno 30 mins latter with 20+HP more.
Hate or like K&N its your choice, dirt bashing is BS. You can find many K&N installed kits posted on internet with motors going well over 200,000 plus miles.
Where are all the posts about K&N dirt blowing up my motors?
My XC90 T6 only car purchased without K&N installed. As I do believe drop in K&N has little performance value. K&N kits add performance, XC90 T6 has no K&N kit available.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Its known Mr. Spicer's test violates protocol test ISO5011.
Hmmm seems that either you are completely full of it or that Mr. Spicer made his whole story up about visiting K&N.

Every standard I have read list a variety of ways to test the article.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It seems to be a rather common and predictable reaction from people who bought into the K&N hype to actually discover the truth, and to either go into denial and argue to self-support their position or to eventually begrudgingly admit they were actually wrong and got snookered. I fall into the latter category. So perhaps the Porsche guys are a little more sensitive about expensive machinery than the off roaders? Lol. I have some more burn photos I can post, and in case you did not notice, I am not selling anything.

In addition guys, hand washing oil and dirt out of a foam air filter, and re-oiling it is not my idea of fun or productive time on earth. Thank the Lord I only bought two of em before I realized what was going on. It was tough pulling one off a 928, because I had to admit I was wrong. Burn baby burn!

Regards

P

·
Registered
128 Posts
Using your logic with K&N air filters. Auto owners using normal 96% efficient oil filters will have engines destroyed from dirt in few thousand miles LOL. Since $$ synthetic oil filters can filter out 99% of dirt, we all must use synthetic oil filters for long motor life. LOL
Might be hard for you to believe, auto's these days go hundreds of thousands of miles, even using cheap oil filters and 98% dirt free K&N air filter.
Having spent few years doing track days with C5 Z06. Porsche track racers are poor example for motor advice. Majority of Porsche track guys do not wrench on cars.
Having never owned Porsche, maybe 1 or 2 microns of dirt destroys Porsche motor:eek:
If so fully understand concerns from Porsche owners:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts