SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you ever regret it? How is the smell being that it doesn't have a CAT? And how do I trick the system to not trigger a CEL?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I didn't have a obx but the smell is awesome, and you use a 90 degree rear o2 spacer which can be found on eBay to not get a cel

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Just drive behind a catless car once... It reeks. Also clean air is a nice thing. A turbine burning JET-A smells good... burning gasoline not so much...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do most people run this DP with the Borla muffler?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you're asking about it because you're thinking about buying one, don't bother: nobody anywhere actually has them in stock anymore. Nobody. :mad:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're asking about it because you're thinking about buying one, don't bother: nobody anywhere actually has them in stock anymore. Nobody. :mad:
They're all over on eBay

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I'm using its plain steel equivalent. Since I live in a rust free region I decided to give plain steel a try and so far so good.

Like the OBX, it requires a little tweaking to align properly and mate correctly to the turbo. Fortunately I had the tools to do so, but others without such abilities may come to hate such issues.

After a quick look around e-bay, it appears the maximizer DPs are no longer in great abundance either.

Personally I like the smell of a clean burning engine without a cat.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have a CNT, which is apparently an OBX with a racing cat. It must be a joke because the exhaust smells pretty strongly, enough to give you a headache pretty quickly if you breathe too much of it. I had to use a spacer for the rear O2 sensor.

I don't have any regrets, yet. We'll see how long it lasts. It does have a bit of a weird quiet whistling sound which makes me wonder if it is sealed up tight or leaking somewhere, but I've gotten used to that.

A big plus was the bump in power I got from it. I don't have my before and after dyno sheets handy but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have OBX on my S60R (Wife) she doesn't complain of an exhaust smell and I have never had a problem with it.

Just FYI the catback flows 20% more then the factory exhaust atleast the single tip style after some cleanup its worth doing the whole thing and it sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ran the S70 with the catless OBX for a while and never noticed a smell.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If your engine is way off it can. When I first put my motor back together the intake cam control solenoid was bad causing the cam to go full retard and would idle like a race car and make some eye burning, bad smelling exhaust when it did. A reminder why its not good to have your intake valves open way past bottom dead center on a modern daily driver.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have OBX on my S60R (Wife) she doesn't complain of an exhaust smell and I have never had a problem with it.

Just FYI the catback flows 20% more then the factory exhaust atleast the single tip style after some cleanup its worth doing the whole thing and it sounds fantastic.
Which cat back ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a fwd obx downpipe on my R. It's true the fwd cant fit without clearing the angle gear. I simply put a prybar between them and was able to clear a good 2-3 inches of clearance. A simple spark plug defouler from auto parts store in the 2nd o2bung gets rid of cel.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have the catless OBX. Love it. Don't really notice the smell, unless I'm sitting at a light for a while with the windows down. Smells like racecar.

90˚ O2 sensor spacer off the eBayz does the trick to get rid of CELs.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have it and the only issue I have had is the flange on the turbo warped causing a leak. I am having my welder install an electric dump, an extra o2 bung for my wideband, and welding on a new flange.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a fwd obx downpipe on my R. It's true the fwd cant fit without clearing the angle gear. I simply put a prybar between them and was able to clear a good 2-3 inches of clearance. A simple spark plug defouler from auto parts store in the 2nd o2bung gets rid of cel.
You put a pry bar between the pipe and angle gear and what? Left it there? Bent the pipe?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts