SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question about brakes:
Do you use street brake pads or do you swap to race compound before the track? I understand that using the race pads isn't always necessary but it can definitely add more excitement. If you do swap the pads, do you bed them in each time? And if you re-bed each time, I am wondering if this is a good idea to keep 2 separate sets of rotors as well - one for street and one for track? This way you don't need to re-bed each time - just swap both pads and rotors. From what I understand changing rotors while changing pads should not add much time to the overall pads swap procedure and would allow for better brakes inspection before/after the race. This would also prolong the life of the street pads by a great deal while allowing to experiment with various race compounds. I am thinking about going this route but your experiences would be very valuable because I might miss something in this plan... :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Depends....If you have a fair bit of experience, then what comes on it is more than fine for a lapping day. If you don't have track experience, and run it hard you will eat up the pads. It really all depends on how you brake. If you know what u are doing and threshold brake only, (on HARD and off quick) they will be fine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
When I was running my OEM setup at the track I did not swap out pads. If you are chasing a low lap time you will buy that low time with tires and brakes, if you just want to enjoy driving on a race track you can lighten up for the corners and save your equipment.

Upgrading to a Rotora Big Brake Kit will allow you to swap to full race pads without having to unbolt the calipers, and they also offer combination street/track ceramic pads that will out perform OEM.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Did a couple of track days with the S60P 4 cylinder and each day has cost me a set of rotors. Rotors were warped 0.15 mm. I received a new set from Polestar themselves with the notion that the car isn't meant to be used on track... All other great fun car and very capable. Impressed a lot of people with this poorly marketed car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Did a couple of track days with the S60P 4 cylinder and each day has cost me a set of rotors. Rotors were warped 0.15 mm. I received a new set from Polestar themselves with the notion that the car isn't meant to be used on track... All other great fun car and very capable. Impressed a lot of people with this poorly marketed car.
How is it that a dealer would say the car is not designed for the track, when both the strut dampening adjustment procedure and the ESC procedure both cite setting up these features for the track? Let Volvo explain that to a Judge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom. Every car is a compromise so I guess I just want to experiment with different compounds to see the full potential of the stock braking system.

I did notice that the Rotora kit allows swapping pads without taking off the calipers but then (from reading other forums and articles) my understanding is that depending on the pads you'd need to re-bed the pads each time. And this brought me to the idea of having a separate set of rotors... Changing all 4 back and forth + bleeding before the track day is likely several hours of work at least for a few first times.

But then I'd also be able to experiment with the rotors as well. For example justify buying these 2 piece rear rotors - did anyone have experience with them?
https://www.vivaperformance.com/viva-performance-2-piece-rear-brake-rotor-volvo-p3-models/

I know elevate also has a set of rear rotors - any difference except for the aesthetic one?
Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im calling BS on what they told you. The manual itself mentions that these are high performance brakes and they even mention a very specific bed in process that is something you usually only mention for cars with a track capable brake system. If it wasnt meant for track days why even bother with brakes that only work optimally with a certain bed in process and operating temperature range...thats just a burden for a street car. Then also for the cars launch and the press reviews, the cars where driven on tracks for long periods, they even had Polestar drivers take some reviewers around the track using the normal production cars.

My theory (and trust me I know a thing or two about vehicle dynamics), the brakes are track day capable (maybe not race capable, there is a difference) but the problem is that with the mass of the S60/V60 with all its luxury gear is just too much for even that braking system ( unlike the stripped out cars that Polestar was testing on the Nurburgring which must have used the same brakes but probably different pads and rear brake setup, those cars also had the engine tuned to 400HP ).
I also think another factor is the stock R-Design brakes they left on the rear, sure front brakes do most of the work but rear brakes are supposed to help with the balance and take some load of the front system. With too much front brake bias you will cook even the best front brake setups and its that extreme heat for too long that is a big factor in causing the rotors to warp.

I think with minor adjustments the car would be capable of hard track driving without destroying the brakes after a few hot laps.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom. Every car is a compromise so I guess I just want to experiment with different compounds to see the full potential of the stock braking system.

I did notice that the Rotora kit allows swapping pads without taking off the calipers but then (from reading other forums and articles) my understanding is that depending on the pads you'd need to re-bed the pads each time. And this brought me to the idea of having a separate set of rotors... Changing all 4 back and forth + bleeding before the track day is likely several hours of work at least for a few first times.

But then I'd also be able to experiment with the rotors as well. For example justify buying these 2 piece rear rotors - did anyone have experience with them?
https://www.vivaperformance.com/viva-performance-2-piece-rear-brake-rotor-volvo-p3-models/

I know elevate also has a set of rear rotors - any difference except for the aesthetic one?
Thanks!
With a Rotora setup you would not be swapping out rotors, just the pads, and that is if you wanted to run different pads between street and track. Their street/track combo pad is quite good at both. You have to be into very aggressive braking to fully utilize the track specific pads. A complete Rotora BBK front and rear is very expensive, and worth every penny if you want to improve the braking on your car by several magnitudes. I can connect you with Peter who has a good amount of experience on track with the Rotora setup if you would like to learn more. I encourage you to talk to us who are running these products on street and track everyday. I am going to Auto Club Speedway this Sat. as an example.

The Elevate rotors are a high quality OEM replacement which are slotted to match the front pattern. Elevate matches there rear rotor with a high quality street pad. This combo provides solid performance akin to the OEM setup, and visually enhances the sporting look of the car.

I invite you to DM me if you want to learn more and I can usually secure a promo code for you with both of these manufacturers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@OscarII do you know which model Brembo brake kit polestar used for these cars ? It would be nice to know so that I can order different types of pads for it.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
How is it that a dealer would say the car is not designed for the track, when both the strut dampening adjustment procedure and the ESC procedure both cite setting up these features for the track? Let Volvo explain that to a Judge.
It wasn't the dealer but (Volvo)Polestar themselves who told me the car wasn't meant to be used on a track..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wasn't the dealer but (Volvo)Polestar themselves who told me the car wasn't meant to be used on a track..
Maybe it came from the race team by the token that "the proper race track car should have ducts, anti wings, custom fuel tank, roll cage, and obviously stripped down", so a street P* car that we sell is... a street car, which will behave way better than many other street cars, but the compromise is still on the everyday driving side? (sigh...)

I wonder though - the rotors didn't show any signs of warping during bedding in, right?

·
Registered
706 Posts
@OscarII do you know which model Brembo brake kit polestar used for these cars ? It would be nice to know so that I can order different types of pads for it.
Join us on the P* FB page. We have a parts file there that lists about six different brake pad sources for the OEM Brembos.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Was that comment given to you in writing because I sure would like to see it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The P* Owners Manual references closed circuit or race track setup of the car (5) times.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to chime in so late. I have experience tracking the OEM Brembo brakes as well as the Rotora front and rear big brake kit. In regards to the OEM brakes you can have a fund track day on the stock pads. However if you are a aggressive on the brakes two things will happen. The traction control, with it already "turned off," will completely turn off. This means no more ESC and you have control the car. The other is I typically would only be able to do 3-5 hot laps, track dependent, before I experienced brake fade on the OEM setup. I did later upgrade the pads to Brembo's, HP2000 but never was able to take them to the track to test them. I did however get stopping distance between the OEM, HP2000, and Rotora brakes. You do not have to change rotors when you change pads. If you are at a race track they should have an area for you to bed in your brakes, if not do it on the first session and come in early. I also think you are confusing bedding the pads and bleeding the brakes. I use Castrol SRF racing fluid for my brakes and bleed the systems every 6-12 months depending on how often I am tracking. Bedding in takes a minute or two and then you let the brakes cool. I have yet to experience warping on my OEM rotors or the Rotora's.

As far as swapping pads, the Rotora system literally takes me 30 minutes to jack the car up, remove the wheels, and swap all four corners with track pads, put the tires back on and torque the lug nuts. The OEM system you have to remove the caliper as it is a monoblock design and if you want to swap the rear pads you have to deal with the electric parking brake and winding it back up to compress the caliper piston. I brake hard and really push my Polestar on the track, I run 19x9.5 wheels with 265/35/19 re71r tires and us the Rotora H8 track pads with their big brake combo. The thing is unreal with the grip, braking, and balance going into turns. Attached photo is from my last rack event to show how hot I get my brakes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Really nice photo @TShirtDriving :)
Thanks for the input!
How did you fit 265/35/19?!
Not confusing bleeding and bedding at all :)
But I agree - bleeding before each HPDE is perhaps too much.

Swapping rotors along with the pads idea also comes from guessing that for grooved rotors like mine it might take quite a few controlled stops to create a uniform contact and transfer layer...

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Was that comment given to you in writing because I sure would like to see it.
Email from VP R&D Polestar AB, October 2017,

"A reminder though is that the S/V60 Polestar is not intended to be a track day car in that sense. It is a performance car for 365-days a year."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts