SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of us already know, the angle gear collar is the weakest link in the AWD system as some of us have found out the hard way.

About 100,000 miles ago I had mine replaced with the allegedly better unit and as I discovered when I recently tore everything apart the shop even did a good job of slathering up the new one with molly grease so that wear and corrosion wouldn't be an issue.

Even with that being the case, the impact wear on the collar splines appears to have beaten and worn them down to less than half their original thickness which is just barely enough to hold on. With what I had left of them I could easily see being able to strip the replacement if I had beat on them some more.

Here are some pics displaying the wear, if you ever have reason to pull your right driveshaft it would be worth it to inspect your collar and replace if necessary if its looking just like this one. Since the AG and Tranny shafts are much harder than the collar they have no noticeable wear at all.

AG Splines:

Trans Shaft Splines:

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess its also worth mentioning that since the angle gear is not pinned to the transmission that there is some variability in how it aligns with the angle gear. I do have to wonder how much of this wear and tear is caused by minor misalignment between the two units as well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The splines on my AG itself look like that. I don't think they are much different material.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I replaced mine at 105k and it looked brand new, even though I tortured it in the midwest winter weather. Considered welding it but decided against it since the original one had looked so good.

·
6,436 Posts
Hey man I just replied to my thread, but see below as well:

here...I don't know if it's the fact that both the angle gear and collar are the new design, or I'm just not as hard on my car (I thought I was - I mean I do donuts in snow when possible haha) but this is what my used collar looked like after about 50K miles.
As you can see there is no evidence of play and no evidence of any stripping. Heck - I could sell this and I bet you someone could get another 50K miles out of it! .. go figure

·
Registered
547 Posts
You guys are casuals, you can still tell that it had splines on yours ;)

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, at least Tomedkaz gives me hope that if you put the latest unit in there it can hold up if you do it right. Or at least time will tell in my case, just glad I had to break her down before she stripped again.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
148K out of my original gear. It was pretty smooth when replaced.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Could it be that just something like tolerances make all the difference and some cars are just not as tight? Seems like there are a lot of repeat collar sleeve issues while some people have had no problems at all on their originals.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dare I ask the obvious...where is all that metal going?

Sent using morse code from my iPad

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I don't know if Volvo changed materials or the geometry over the years, but when I pulled mine on my '07 at around 125k miles, it hardly had any wear. I installed a PDV sleeve with the Spec clutch simply because I was upgrading to a more powerful turbo.

·
Registered
829 Posts
This thread is making me cringe thinking about having to replace mine. My car was made 3-3-2004 and it is still on the original at 120k, so if there were any changes my car does not have them...

·
Registered
547 Posts
This thread is making me cringe thinking about having to replace mine. My car was made 3-3-2004 and it is still on the original at 120k, so if there were any changes my car does not have them...
Guess the miles mine blew? 125k ;) It's coming.

Dare I ask the obvious...where is all that metal going?

Most of it goes into the angle gear.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Guess the miles mine blew? 125k ;) It's coming.

Most of it goes into the angle gear.
Causing accelerated wear and tear? A vicious cycle. Is there a DIY thread to check the angle gear and collar? I have VIDA and can look it up there I suppose, but I love tribal knowledge.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Causing accelerated wear and tear? A vicious cycle. Is there a DIY thread to check the angle gear and collar? I have VIDA and can look it up there I suppose, but I love tribal knowledge.

I wrote a post about how to remove the transmission
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showpost.php?p=2440773
that includes removing the angle gear. you only need to remove the passenger side axle and skip the steps specific to the transmission, but that should give you an idea.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
^^^ Great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Haha, same date as mine! I'm only at 111k though.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts