SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ****ing hate this car so much. Every month its a new issue. 2013 T6. So ridiculous this car is the worst purchase of my life. What 2 year old car leaks water EVERYWHERE :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

EDIT

Since this is such a long thread now, I am going to post all of the issues I have had with my S60. I offer it as a warning to potential buyers. There are LOTS OF HAPPY OWNERS on this forum, the issues I have had are mine alone. I am pretty sure I have a lemon, but not mechanically. The main car (besides transmission) seem great. The trouble I have is with the fit and finish. It is bad. So So So bad. Anyways, here is my full list.

-Premature rotor wear (dealer replaced rotors and brakes)
-Hard down shifts in transmission (no fix) Hard shift from reverse to drive (no fix)
-Rubber squeaking above drivers side in roof (dealer fixed and said something came loose) (has returned after a year)
-Ticking back door handle (dealer fixed after 4 attempts by putting felt tape in handle)
-Creaking doors when braking, accelerating and driving over uneven road (flexing the car body) (dealer fix was to give me silicon spray to wipe on the door trim once a month which does not really help much) (dealer now replaced all 4 door panels)
-Creaking sunroof (fixed first time when car was first bought and then it came back and was refixed a couple months ago)
-Leaking sunroof (brand new issue, was fixed by dealer)
-Rattling sunroof controls/interior light area when music has bass (had to fix this myself by jamming a credit card inside the gap, still buzzes a bit)
-Squeaking holy **** handle drivers side (dealer replaced)
-Tire alignment issue wore front tires unevenly, no idea what caused it (i had to pay for an alignment and 2 new tires, although since my car was not brand new I can't really blame the car for this one)
-Cracking noises when AC is on in hot weather (no fix, the plastics expand at different rates causing excessive snapping and cracking)
-Creaking waterfall area (dealer lined it with felt to dampen noise, helped a bit, still cracks on acceleration, stopping, hard turns, when my knee touches it)
-Squeeky shifter in sport mode (dealer replaced shifter leather boot)
-Tweater Blis housing came loose (dealer fixed this)
-Burnt out Light in Sun Visor (dealer has part on order)
-Bubble Wrap popping from arm rest (replaced with a new arm rest that is harder now than the original. Must be a re design)
-Dirt getting into speedometer area (this really pisses me off! this just shows the quality control overall)
-Windshield fell out (fixed but they broke the auto wiper sensor in the process)
-Broken stereo computer, nothing works and speakers make repeated noise like a record player skipping
-My headlights are messed up now, right side looks like a chicken foot spot light. They can't figure whats wrong
-They broke my sirius radio somehow when trying to repair the auto wiper issue I have
-Battery was faulty that just had to be replaced
-Looks like AC Compressor is dying now.. (AC Compressor was replaced, would have been a $1500 bill if not under warranty)

Update 11/16/16
I am still fighting to get the auto wipers fixed. I am still fighting to get the headlights fixed.
All 4 door panels were replaced with all new clips. The door panels still creak and moan. After fighting this for 2.5 years I am prepared to give up. This car is just badly badly designed.
I have gone through 3 sets of rear brakes and rotors in 50 000km. I do not abuse the brakes, my last car my brakes lasted me 5 years (100 000km) driving the same places.

Update 1/27/2017
Some sort of bearings went in the front end, when I turn the wheel it made a knock knock knock sound. Was covered under warranty but that was the last straw. I had this car in for repairs almost 30 times in 2.5 years. I traded it in for a Lexus IS 350. Sorry I ever left Japan, Euro cars are for the rich. Good luck everyone. Let this post stand as a warning though, don't let fanboyism get in the way of an honest conversation. Thanks to everyone that tried to help, and to the people who hated on me, I know your Volvo rattles... lol.

Here are some videos to remember me by. Beware the S60..

BLIS Malfunction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4fdiG9KV6w

AC Compressor Failure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zWme5Tlyg

Headlight Issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-InGg4E5Dk

Faulty Rain Sensing Wipers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1d22BAUxQk

Door Creaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXqH6tcXHv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwyzeHm1xQ

Malfunctioning Computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxjyB60tZ3A

Creaking Sunroof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvQ7OEpPcA

Door Trim Noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXC9AtvKkZ4

Vent Noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gJ2jwuDdE

Interior Light Noise (Rattled bad with bass)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ge0BA0JI30

Back Door Ticking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-zK0n5i-I

Center Arm Rest Bubble Wrap Sound Effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpa_IWMcTlI

Creaking Wipers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cEPcFas4E

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only OEM leaks would be from sunroof weatherstrips, rare but seen. audi are huge for this. What you seem to have is a leak from ur windshield not properly glued to the frame. That would only happen if the windshield has been replaced before and most likely not with OEM windshield. Good thing 2 yr old car has a warranty that will cover all those small issues.
Congrads on the car btw. Awesome car that might save your life one day..then these leaks won't bother you so much... You will be thankfull you were driving a Volvo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I will be taking back to the dealer. This is the only time it has leaked and I have owned it for over a year so I dunno wtf is going on. Just add it to the list. Never taken a car back to the dealer so much. In fact I have not taken any car back to a dealer 1/10 of the times this Volvo has gone. So frustrating!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
This is a very childish attitude.
It's under warranty, take it to the dealer, get a loaner, and don't pick it up until you are guaranteed that they fixes the leak(s)
Grow up and act like you should

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
It's under warranty, take it to the dealer, get a loaner, and don't pick it up until you are guaranteed that they fixes the leak(s)
It's an understandable attitude sometimes.

People talk about quality of European cars and when someone is used to domestic car quality and then get into /some/ Volvos, they have issues.

I've had my XC60 for 4-5 months and it's been back more times than I owned my Lincoln for 5 years.

But to be fair, I didn't have my Lincoln's oil changed at anywhere by Valvoline quick change places (95% of the time the same place) and it was warranteed to 100k miles just like my CPO XC60.

The only thing wrong with my Lincoln is that the drivers door handle (inside) broke which seemed to be common on that model and then some bits under my front suspension. And that was it.

I've seen so many quirks and screwy things with the XC60 that it does drive me nuts sometimes. I think this is mostly due to the insane amount of sensors that can go screwy and the absolutely worthless BLIS system on 2013 and before models. Now I have to take it back to the dealer to get the power folding mirror fixed because some brush from a car wash touched it in a way it didn't like and now doesn't work. :rolleyes:

And through all these "quirks" as some like to call them (I call it shît design and implementation) I adore the damn thing and originally planned on getting this one and then upgrading in a couple of years to the new design. Now, I'm second guessing that thought and thinking I may just keep it longer.

We put 1000 miles on it the last 2 days and again, I still adore the thing. The wife during the last 100 miles talked about her desire on buying the S60 when it gets redesigned but still hasn't ruled out the S90.

Again, a lot of things are about perspective. From my perspective, Volvo should have been vastly superior in design and quality and I'm learning that this bubble is burst.

I just expect it to be like a good domestic but have everything cost more and sometimes break more now.

With that perspective, I'm ok with what I've purchased.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I not supposed to be frustrated when I have had to take this car back like 15 times already for various things? I had a brand new 2005 Corolla before this car that I took back ONCE is 3 years. They may as well rent me an office to live in at Volvo.

Now I went out to look a bit more at the car and I found this awesome build quality. Could this be the issue? Could it have leaked from hear into the city safety camera? Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/Jb38n

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Am I not supposed to be frustrated when I have had to take this car back like 15 times already for various things? I had a brand new 2005 Corolla before this car that I took back ONCE is 3 years. They may as well rent me an office to live in at Volvo.

Now I went out to look a bit more at the car and I found this awesome build quality. Could this be the issue? Could it have leaked from hear into the city safety camera? Thanks.

Oh, don't get me started on their silly sunroof designs. These Volvo guys can badmouth Ford for a lot of things but I've never seen such silly and absolutely abysmal stuff as I've seen on a Volvo sunroof.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, don't get me started on their silly sunroof designs. These Volvo guys can badmouth Ford for a lot of things but I've never seen such silly and absolutely abysmal stuff as I've seen on a Volvo sunroof.
Nope, nothing to see here... Move along

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

People talk about quality of European cars and when someone is used to domestic car quality and then get into /some/ Volvos, they have issues.

I've had my XC60 for 4-5 months and it's been back more times than I owned my Lincoln for 5 years.

But to be fair, I didn't have my Lincoln's oil changed at anywhere by Valvoline quick change places (95% of the time the same place) and it was warranteed to 100k miles just like my CPO XC60.

The only thing wrong with my Lincoln is that the drivers door handle (inside) broke which seemed to be common on that model and then some bits under my front suspension. And that was it.

I've seen so many quirks and screwy things with the XC60 that it does drive me nuts sometimes. I think this is mostly due to the insane amount of sensors that can go screwy and the absolutely worthless BLIS system on 2013 and before models. Now I have to take it back to the dealer to get the power folding mirror fixed because some brush from a car wash touched it in a way it didn't like and now doesn't work. :rolleyes:

And through all these "quirks" as some like to call them (I call it shît design and implementation) I adore the damn thing and originally planned on getting this one and then upgrading in a couple of years to the new design. Now, I'm second guessing that thought and thinking I may just keep it longer.

We put 1000 miles on it the last 2 days and again, I still adore the thing. The wife during the last 100 miles talked about her desire on buying the S60 when it gets redesigned but still hasn't ruled out the S90.

Again, a lot of things are about perspective. From my perspective, Volvo should have been vastly superior in design and quality and I'm learning that this bubble is burst.

I just expect it to be like a good domestic but have everything cost more and sometimes break more now.

Yes like who the hell designs a god damn power outlet in their cup holder? NO THAT WONT CAUSE ANY ISSUES!!

Oh you want somewhere to put change? Sorry rich people who drive our cars don't carry change.

Spare tire? LOLOL get a cell phone hippy.

Oh that thumping noise, its just the passenger seat belt slamming against the car, don't all cars do this?

Creaking pillars over uneven pavement? Here is some silicon spray you just need to lubricate the trim every month (Yes the official fix I was given)

Pillar ticking? Door handle ticking, what that is not normal? Loud snaps when the car is in hot weather and you put the AC on. THIS IS NORMAL WEEEEEE!

Premature rotor wear? Um... You should have bought the R Design!!

Doors rattle when your song has a little bass? Listen to different music! Oh and don't mind the rattles from the sunroof control area from bass either, just turn the music louder!

Well that is just off the top of my head for now. BRILLIANT SWEDISH ENGINEERING!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

You have every right to be frustrated. Ignore the naysayers. In 7+ years owning my Subaru, it went in once for an unscheduled visit to fix the passenger window motor. My $62,000 V60 Polestar has been in at least 5 times in the 7 months that I have owned it. I still have a rattling that they can't diagnose. With that said, I absolutely love my car and think the Service at the dealer I use is excellent. I always get a loaner and it is a painless experience. The Service is definitely a step above what Subaru offered, but I did prefer the worry free ownership of my Subaru. Volvo really leaves a lot to be desired in the reliability department.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have every right to be frustrated. Ignore the naysayers. In 7+ years owning my Subaru, it went in once for an unscheduled visit to fix the passenger window motor. My $62,000 V60 Polestar has been in at least 5 times in the 7 months that I have owned it. I still have a rattling that they can't diagnose. With that said, I absolutely love my car and think the Service at the dealer I use is excellent. I always get a loaner and it is a painless experience. The Service is definitely a step above what Subaru offered, but I did prefer the worry free ownership of my Subaru. Volvo really leaves a lot to be desired in the reliability department.
I think I've had every rattle possible maybe i can help?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yes like who the hell designs a god damn power outlet in their cup holder? NO THAT WONT CAUSE ANY ISSUES!!

Oh you want somewhere to put change? Sorry rich people who drive our cars don't carry change.

Spare tire? LOLOL get a cell phone hippy.

Oh that thumping noise, its just the passenger seat belt slamming against the car, don't all cars do this?

Creaking pillars over uneven pavement? Here is some silicon spray you just need to lubricate the trim every month (Yes the official fix I was given)

Pillar ticking? Door handle ticking, what that is not normal? Loud snaps when the car is in hot weather and you put the AC on. THIS IS NORMAL WEEEEEE!

Premature rotor wear? Um... You should have bought the R Design!!

Doors rattle when your song has a little bass? Listen to different music! Oh and don't mind the rattles from the sunroof control area from bass either, just turn the music louder!

Well that is just off the top of my head for now. BRILLIANT SWEDISH ENGINEERING!
Be glad that your sunroof was designed to withdraw under the roofline instead of over it like the XC60 has.

And Volvo's answer is to put a nice big fat honking strip of netting to divert the airflow.

Which is does divert the airflow.

But nevermind the massive wind noise that they didn't bother with.

A tiny strip of plastic that bumps up in my MKZ was all it took to divert the wind and the sound. That's just too ingenious for Volvo's taste apparently.

Oh, and don't let a single drop of rain catch you by surprise.

Volvo's seriously smart safety won't let that sunroof close because that drop of water might be the Baby Jesus' finger in the way and they can't close it--nevermind that the one drop that arrived suddenly now has 25,000 friends all heading in your direction.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think I've had every rattle possible maybe i can help?
I think it is the A pillar. It happens with the drivers window open and I hit a hard bump. I first thought it was the mirror, then the plastic clip, but now am pretty sure it is the A pillar. I have just had issues reproducing it with the tech in the car. We kind of got it to happen last week but not enough for him to diagnose. He said he would need to get a recording of it to send to Volvo since it is an NVH issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have owned over 50 cars, more than half, European. In my experience (and many other's) no European car is as reliable as any Japanese car (which has been true for many years) and today, they are not as reliable as most American or Korean cars.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good luck in working through your leak issue--pretty frustrating. Then you can work on your choice of music ...;)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

The above is all anecdotal evidence. Your experience with a few cars from a manufacturer is not enough to say one is more reliable than another. In my opinion all of us that bought these "luxury" cars from Audi, Merc, BMW and Volvo got duped. They are a manufacturers bread and butter, meaning they are high profit margin cars because they are barely different from a $30k Camry, but we all glady shell out $20k more. Luxury cars used to be somewhat of a rarity, now I can see 7 of our type car at ChickFilet. You know what I rarely see there? An S550 or 750iL. Those are luxury cars. In short, price does not indicate quality in our segment, it indicates our desire to own something slightly nicer than the aforementioned Camry. So dont be surpised when the manufacturer keeps most of the $20k for profit, and doesnt invest it into the car. If you accept and understand this, your experience with Satan will be less frustrating.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The above is all anecdotal evidence. Your experience with a few cars from a manufacturer is not enough to say one is more reliable than another. In my opinion all of us that bought these "luxury" cars from Audi, Merc, BMW and Volvo got duped. They are a manufacturers bread and butter, meaning they are high profit margin cars because they are barely different from a $30k Camry, but we all glady shell out $20k more. Luxury cars used to be somewhat of a rarity, now I can see 7 of our type car at ChickFilet. You know what I rarely see there? An S550 or 750iL. Those are luxury cars. In short, price does not indicate quality in our segment, it indicates our desire to own something slightly nicer than the aforementioned Camry. So dont be surpised when the manufacturer keeps most of the $20k for profit, and doesnt invest it into the car. If you accept and understand this, your experience with Satan will be less frustrating.
Truer words were never spoken!!!
Larry

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have owned over 50 cars, more than half, European. In my experience (and many other's) no European car is as reliable as any Japanese car (which has been true for many years) and today, they are not as reliable as most American or Korean cars.
Exactly. These patterns have been established for a long time. I'm surprised that people are still surprised by them.

If reliability is your primary consideration, you should never leave the Honda brand. It is number 1 by a mile.

I like my Volvo because it is more reliable than the Germans and more fun than the Japanese. I'm willing to tolerate some quality gremlins but not as much as my Benz had.

What I will concede is that Volvo is leaving a lot of money on the table. If it could make a more reliable car it would increase sales. I'm not clear why it's so hard for the European companies to get reliability right.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They aren't more reliable than German cars. I have both in my family, in addition to American cars. My brother has a 2 year old BMW 428i M-Sport that he bought new. He hasn't had a single issue with it in those two years.

We've had two Enclaves in the family without any issues either.

I like driving my Volvo and my current one has been fine in the two months I've had it, but the previous one that had to be taken back by the dealer was a complete piece of crap. And guess what, when I posted about it, I got the same responses, that I had to deal with it and that it wasn't unusual for a car that was less than a year old to have all the serious issues that I was having. Yet, I pushed and pushed and got my car replaced.

I wouldn't take this BS if I were you.

1 - 20 of 610 Posts