SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
However, not very indicative of the Amazon's "great" handling. Definitely better than the other cars, but not great by any means.

I guess you can't embed a video here?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
However, not very indicative of the Amazon's "great" handling. Definitely better than the other cars, but not great by any means.

I guess you can't embed a video here?
You have to see everything with the correct perspective. First, these are bias ply tires. Second, the car has the tall suspension, which allowed it to go down the stairs without any damage. Try to get a Mazda Miata, or a Ford Focus down the same stairway, and let's see what will be left when you reach the bottom.

But despite all that, the "greatness" of the handling of this car in this setup may not be in respect to its ultimate limit, but in terms of its predictability (in addition to the toughness of the suspension, of course). Look at minute 1:44, where the car came by inches away from the cameraman while cornering at the limit. One little error on the driver and the camera man is dead.

By the way, my 68, also stock suspension, does not lean anywhere near as much at the limit. This car looks like pre-65. I suspect that somewhere in between Volvo stiffened up the suspension some.

For the people that do not drive fast on the road, they often think that the ultimate "g" limit of the car in corners is all that matters. In real life, when you drive fast though real roads, you really do not know what speed is the ultimate limit, and you are actually guessing. The more experienced drivers can gauge this limit with lower tolerance (especially when driving in a racetrack with controlled conditions and low consequences of a mistake), but for us that do not drive drive racing style every day, and do it on the road with no control over traffic of road surface, there may be a larger tolerance. So, a gutsy, yet non professional driver will be more willing to bring the car closer to its actual limit when he knows that hitting the upper end of the tolerance will not get you in trouble, because the car is forgiving. This Amazon, despite its obvious limitations, shows an excellent quality in terms of forgiveness, and in practical terms, it can be much faster than a car than on paper looks better. And that was one of the reasons why these cars were so successful in racing (the other was the toughness).

And if you want a bit more up-do-date handling, you can always lower and stiffen the car, and still retain many of the predictable qualities.

But we have discussed all that recently. For low speeds, these cars present an excellent platform for relatively safe excitement, at low cost. Let those who know less spend their $$$ on modern cars with "advanced" suspensions.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The scene where the rims were 65-70 towards the end was by a different car. In all other scenes, the car had the pre-65 rims.

I don't know if the seats were ever visible. However, while the seats and rims can easily be changed, the nose piece cannot.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually modified one of those cars to roll more than normally and to oversteer more for cinematic effect. Just yanking the front sway bar off would go a ways towards doing both those things.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Given the available technology it is possible that the entire video was done in a studio using advanced animation software.

Sorta the European version of "Cars"?

George Dill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh man
I love Olsen Banden.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The old Chevy is like the one my Grampa had when I was a kid. A 59 with a 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree. He drove it about the same way !

Other than the Volvo I wonder if any of those cars had seat belts ?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually modified one of those cars to roll more than normally and to oversteer more for cinematic effect. Just yanking the front sway bar off would go a ways towards doing both those things.
That is very likely. Given the real skinny 5.9" bias ply tires and the brick paved roads in some of the scenes, the oversteer would be pronounced w/o sway bar, making it more spectacular. Also, this can be further supported by how much body roll was produced by so little traction. This is entertainment, after all.

The green Buick looks like late 60's, so that should have lap seatbelts. But the Volvo occupants were not wearing their seatbelts either. One of the reasons traffic fatalities went down over the years is that the habit of seatbelt usage has really gone up to almost 100%.

Not all American cars of that era had such horrible handling. Most mid-priced and up models from Chrysler corporation handled fairly well. In fact, you can see a 57 Plymouth here vs. an Opel Diplomat, filmed in some European city too. The Plymouth does fairly well (looks like they used a 2 door and a 4 door).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxvGy1Uy70&feature=related

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome chase scene! I bet that cop wishes he had a full bolt on modern front and rear suspension system with Wilwood brakes! lol

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not while going down those stairs! The "modern" suspension would spread out its components all over, only the body shell would make it downstars!.

If he had "modern suspension" without the traction control, he would be running into the parked cars on all these corners, and the cameraman on 1:44 would likely be a goner. If he had wider tires that stick out of the fender wells and widen the car, he would have to drive much slower in the narrow streets, and more likely to clip one of his wheels on the curbs.

The stock front sway bar attached and a set of modern radial tires would have been something that he could use though. The ipd springs and sway bar would help too, but his competition was way too slow, and these would have been overkill. And I still don't get why they were not wearing those seatbelts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Reality does not require people to love the hotrodding. I hope you'll register that thing as a 2012/2013 "(your name) custom"' but not try to pass it off as a 60's Volvo.

There's too many funnybusiness rodders around, which is causing a crackdown on older cars in NC for example.

Delirious people that only retain the firewall and the roof, but still try to pass the vehicle off as classic at inspection, registration, and insurance time.

Funny business huh..... It's happily registered as a 1966 Volvo, why wouldn't it be? It looks like one and it even says Volvo on the trunk. Don't hate people for being different, what a boring world we would have if everyone was the same. Personal attacks on me aside, if you think the Volvo in the video would have handled worse with modern suspension and brakes, you too get a seat on the delirious bus with the Russian.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Reality does not require people to love the hotrodding.
I missed a retort to this part, I was referring to Mister Dimitri's complete nonsensical post suggesting that if that car had current technology suspension that it surely would have crashed and killed a camera man. (I'm not sure how he knew what lens the camera man was using to judge his distance away from the action.) I did not suggest that hotrodding is the only way at all. You put those words in my mouth....or keyboard... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Because it is not.

By weight I'd guess it's perhaps 30% a Volvo, 40% Lexus, and the rest your design and fabrication. So it's neither a Volvo nor a Lexus.. It is not about hating people for being different, but disliking them for not doing things right. There's more Lexus there than Volvo, but it's still not a Lexus.

You are building a one off your own. Why don't you own up to that when doing registration and paying insurance too?

Why would I bother, I love my Volvo. Oh and guess what other than you and Dimitri, so does the entire internet. My 1966 Volvo Amazon gets on average over 100,000 views per month, it peaked at 486,000 views in March alone.....sounds like people are interested. How exciting is yours, assuming you even own one? I think I might get a personalized plate that says VLVOLYF or something...any suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah the idiot is only keeping the trunk lid, roof, front outer fenders, doors and nose and intends to register this and insure as a 66 Amazon. It's idiots like this that will make having old cars difficult. NC forces inspection of older than 35 years old exactly due to clowns like these.

Now I'm an idiot? wow....but you forgot, tail lights, headlights, a pillar, glass, dash, rear view mirror, grills, door handles, window cranks, etc. Did you lose your job in Americas failed economy? Someone other than you marry your cousin? Why so angry? Oh almost forgot....serial number too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts