SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a long time Volvo owner and now drive a 2012 S60 bought through OSD. My daughter and husband badly want to buy my S60 if I decide to replace it. A local Delray Beach, Florida vicinity Volvo dealer advertised a used, Certified 2013 XC 60 3.2 Premium for $28,944. The car has 16,199 miles on the odometer. The description on their website was as follows:

Immaculate CERTIFIED 2013 XC60 Premier Plus Package, Climate Package, and BLIS. PREMIER PLUS PACKAGE: Passenger Side Power Seat, Power Glass Moonroof, Cargo Cover, Power Operated Tailgate, Tinted Rear Glass, Grocery Bag Holder, HomeLink, Elec Adjust Rear Headrest, 12V Outlet, Cargo Area Accessory Prep Cable, Digital Compass, Personal Car Communicator, Active Dual Xenon Headlights, Front & Rear Park Assist, Silver Roof Rails, Glossy Side Decor. CLIMATE PACKAGE: Heated Front Seats, Interior Air Quality System, Heated Windshield Washer, Heated Rear Seats. BLIS PACKAGE: Power Retractable Rear View Mirrors, Blind Spot Information System. Also standard in this vehicle is 18in alloy wheels, City safety, Roll stability control, Bluetooth, Rain sensors, Headlamp washers, leather surfaces, panoramic sunroof, power driver and passenger seats, and so much more! Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for more information, or to schedule a test drive. This car has a clean carfax, no accident, and is as close to new as it gets.

We went to see the car with the potential to make a deal. The car was obviously turned in by the lessor and immediately put on the used car lot without so much as a wash. There were numerous instances of scraped paint on the sides, the drivers side door was all marked up and scraped on the inside. Inspection of the trunk showed loads of sand and dirt. Further, the salesman tells us the car is NOT certified and this will cost extra as most people don't want certified. The carfax doesn't show an oil change since early 2014. In short, the car was in what I would consider awful shape for a two year old low mileage vehicle. I couldn't believe the dealer wouldn't have cleaned the car, fixed the numerous scrapes and interior damage before putting this car back on the market. The fact that the trunk wasn't even vacuumed was unbelievable. I was told it would cost extra to certify the car - even though I pointed out it was advertised as such. The Manager was introduced to us and he explained that used cars are not a good buy and we should really lease a new car and buy it off the lease at lease end.

I have bought two cars from this dealer in years past and am happy with the service department. But, it defies the imagination that a Volvo dealer would put a two year old xc 60 3.2 in that condition right back on the market. If Volvo wants to attract customers, that is a funny way to do it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dealers are not Volvo. Volvo are not the dealers. Sadly due to very old and very shady laws in the US manufactures can not sell new vechicals to the public. Tesla is kind of getting around this. Yes what you saw sucks, yes it hurts the publics view of Volvo as a brand, that being said they (Volvo) had nothing to due with your experience. You could track down the owner of the dealership and speak to them about the issue. Or even contact Volvo North American and complain.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
And FL dealers are among the worst of the bunch.
Since they advertised it as certified you could try to hold them to it, but this one doesn't sound as if it's worth the bother

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it is not Volvo N.A.'s fault. That's why my message is titled and directed at dealers. Volvo can bring out gorgeous new cars and do all things right, but, if their dealers don't maintain standards worthy of a luxury marque it hurts the brand and all who associate with the brand. I would contact the owner of the dealership but it is a large corporation with many stores. Since I was not harmed by the experience, I just thought it was worthy of a note here where many from Volvo and its most loyal customers spend time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not worth the bother. The salesman indicated he could work on getting a free CPO, but my wife was so turned off by the condition she wouldn't even test drive it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's amazing how much the dealer shapes the experience. When I first saw my V70 (used but not certified and not advertised as such...actually not yet advertised at all) it had been cleaned extensively. The sales guy was profusely apologetic for showing me the car with minor blemishes to the front and rear bumpers, both of which would be (and ultimately were) taken care of. I had corresponded with him previously about what I wanted and this car had come in on trade in the interim. I bought it after a brief and stress/pressure-free negotiation. I went back to that dealer for my S60 and came out similarly happy. I'm the sort of person that if they had dicked around with me the first time I would have moved on immediately and not gone back.

And the hilarious part? Every time the V70 broke the dealer's service department somehow made me grateful for having bought a Volvo, anyway. They must be drugging the air in their loaner vehicles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Forget that dealer and look elsewhere. If they are that shady now, the situation is not going to get better AFTER you buy a car from them. In my opinion, there are way more crappy dealers than legit ones. But it will make you appreciate it when you do finally find someone legit to deal with...

·
Banned
763 Posts
Forget that dealer and look elsewhere. If they are that shady now, the situation is not going to get better AFTER you buy a car from them. In my opinion, there are way more crappy dealers than legit ones. But it will make you appreciate it when you do finally find someone legit to deal with...
What he said. If they're dishonest before you spend money, they're not going to start telling the truth after you've paid them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's amazing how much the dealer shapes the experience. When I first saw my V70 (used but not certified and not advertised as such...actually not yet advertised at all) it had been cleaned extensively. The sales guy was profusely apologetic for showing me the car with minor blemishes to the front and rear bumpers, both of which would be (and ultimately were) taken care of. I had corresponded with him previously about what I wanted and this car had come in on trade in the interim. I bought it after a brief and stress/pressure-free negotiation. I went back to that dealer for my S60 and came out similarly happy. I'm the sort of person that if they had dicked around with me the first time I would have moved on immediately and not gone back.

And the hilarious part? Every time the V70 broke the dealer's service department somehow made me grateful for having bought a Volvo, anyway. They must be drugging the air in their loaner vehicles.
Upstate NY, are you talking about Best Volvo in Rochester? Every time I go in there, I have a positive experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's definitely an unfortunate experience, what's more unfortunate its the fact the brand and the dealer are two different items. I have purchased a few volvos from Delray Volvo which was great, Brian my sales person was amazing. He is the main reason i switched from BMW to volvo. Unfortunately Autonation bought the dealer and the experience started going down, when i bought my last volvo from them Brian was leaving to another dealer as he realized the place was changing for the worst. Eventually was sold to Gunther which is a whole other level of bad experience. Weston Volvo is where i get my car serviced and their service dept is great, can't say the same about the sales side of the house.... it would be great if the experience was uniform in greatness regardless where you went, more in line with the brand experience which is another reason i left BMW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts