SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The access to the third row appears to function the same way as in the nissan pathfinder/infiniti JX. Those vehicles advertise that you can slide the second row seats for third row access with a (forward facing) child seat in place. Is this possible in the XC90?

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, you can't move the seat when there's a child seat in it.

We have two forward facing child seats in the 2 second row outboard seats. We can't really reach the 3rd row. A small kid could climb between the seats if you fold the middle one down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The access to the third row appears to function the same way as in the nissan pathfinder/infiniti JX. Those vehicles advertise that you can slide the second row seats for third row access with a (forward facing) child seat in place. Is this possible in the XC90?
I find Alex's review of child seat is very extensive. You can find it on youtube.

From the review it seems that the dimension of the child seat matters as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find Alex's review of child seat is very extensive. You can find it on youtube.

From the review it seems that the dimension of the child seat matters as well.
He has the best reviews!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Second row will slide back and forth even with ISofixed child seat but only for legroom management purposes. To access 3rd row I suggest you fit two seats side by side and leave one seat for access - access to 3rd row is tough enough without restricting it further. After all, middle second row seat is the safest place in the car even if it is a bit more hassle to put your child in there. But most people justify spending extra money on this car for safety - the can sacrifice some convenience for a bit of extra safety. Middle seat doesn't have isofix though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Second row will slide back and forth even with ISofixed child seat but only for legroom management purposes. To access 3rd row I suggest you fit two seats side by side and leave one seat for access - access to 3rd row is tough enough without restricting it further. After all, middle second row seat is the safest place in the car even if it is a bit more hassle to put your child in there. But most people justify spending extra money on this car for safety - the can sacrifice some convenience for a bit of extra safety. Middle seat doesn't have isofix though.
My point it that with this car seat you get unrestricted access, the back of the seat moves back and forward.

BTW, no more issue with the rear passenger mirror, it seems to work again, just happened a couple of time that it didnt go back to the original position.

I tested parallel parking pilot, worked great. I wanted to test perpendicular parking, but the car doesnt seem to recognize the open spots - what's the trick? (I find it easy just to reverse in myself, just wanted to try it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In simple: yes

This was one of the main criteria for us picking the XC90 over other 7 seaters (disappointing even the new Q7 has a bad system that rolls the seat onto itself folding etc).

Basically we have 2 child seats, one of them forward facing behind the drivers seat which is not isofix, so we just take the seatbelt out and it slides forward.

But here's a great tip: we use the memory seats as follows:
1: my set up
2: my wife's setup
3: driver's seat slides forward and tilts forward a bit (used to have it go all the way both forward and tilt but not really necessary)

So, when using either the middle seat (which is surprisingly roomier, and sits adults despite the two child seats) I just flick the memory to 3 and then back to 1 when done.

When using the 3rd row seats we also flick it to 3, then remove the seat belt, then the second row slides all the way forward and there are loads of room to get in! All relatively quick too! (Not quick enough to use as a getaway car!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very clever. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you are removing a child seat to gain access to the 3rd row regularly, I'd argue it's not installed correctly. Is the child seat tethered?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nonsense. Lots of very good seats are fitted using only a seatbelt. I would argue isofix ones are less safe in real life as they would often disguise poorly fitted seatbelt.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have no issue with a seat being secured by a seatbelt, but I've never installed one to my satisfaction that I would be willing to remove on a regular basis to gain access to part of the car. Especially if a tether is available.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If it's secured by a seatbelt, surely you can just move it when you unbuckle it. I don't mean the seats with own harness where car seatbelt is just for holding the seat but the ones where car seatbelt acts as a harness too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, that's a booster seat. I agree those can be easily moved. But a child seat using a harness should be tethered and secured tightly enough it takes some effort to install it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Child seat does not necessarily use a harness
http://www.kiddyuk.com/car-seats/guardian-pro-2
Can use from 9 months.
One of the safest seats on the market - the forward facing seat with a lap tray in many cases is safer than rear facing with 5 point harness. This one is without isofix - I use isofix version but that is just for convenience so I don't have to rebuckle when unused. Fitting is just pulling the seatbelt across the front of the lap tray and clipping it on. If I wanted to use 3rd row access I could just not use isofix and move it out of the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts