SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about applying the very light smoked vinyl to my XC90's tail lights. Have any of you done this? I'd be interested to see picks of your car. I feel like it would give the rear end a cleaner look.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Just make sure not to tint it too dark; most regions have regulation regarding minimal brake light brightness.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's not something I would do. Anything that reduces visibility is not wise. In a rear end collision, A lawyer might have a field day with that. But, that's my opinion. It's your car. Only your safety and opinion count.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
I did a custom smoke on my taillights. It is painted though as the vinyl shop I use said the taillight was too contoured for a single piece wrap.

I did mine to match euro style factory tinted lights so it doesn’t effect he LED output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
It's not something I would do. Anything that reduces visibility is not wise. In a rear end collision, A lawyer might have a field day with that. But, that's my opinion. It's your car. Only your safety and opinion count.
yep, that's what I'd do. My fault or not if I'm in an accident with someone who has lowered the efficiency of the safety features of their car that's the first thing I'm going after. Anything to prove that the accident could have been avoided is going to be used against you.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I did a custom smoke on my taillights. It is painted though as the vinyl shop I use said the taillight was too contoured for a single piece wrap.

I did mine to match euro style factory tinted lights so it doesn’t effect he LED output.

Looks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, that's what I'd do. My fault or not if I'm in an accident with someone who has lowered the efficiency of the safety features of their car that's the first thing I'm going after. Anything to prove that the accident could have been avoided is going to be used against you.
If you go very light then it won't be an issue. Our led taillights are already super bright.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
If you go very light then it won't be an issue. Our led taillights are already super bright.

If your safety devices have been modified beyond the manufacturer spec it is definitely an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
If your safety devices have been modified beyond the manufacturer spec it is definitely an issue.

Actually, the law is based on light output... not cosmetic appearance. This is why you can have tinted lights from the factory like my Porsche GT4 that is still considered legal.

Just means you would have to meet minimum luminescence after the tinting. ;)

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Actually, the law is based on light output... not cosmetic appearance. This is why you can have tinted lights from the factory like my Porsche GT4 that is still considered legal.

Just means you would have to meet minimum luminescence after the tinting. ;)

Right, and Porsche made sure that the light overcame any tint. A person would have to prove the same if they modified them beyond the factory specifications.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Looks Very good!! How dark did you go on the tails? Did you cover the backup light area as well? Could you post another photo closer up?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Very clean buddy. I like it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

I haven't seen that over here.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I will have to get another picture as that was the only one I have.

What I meant by Euro tinted is that many manufacturers offer a tinted version on tail lights. Porsche does it (like on my GT4), Audi does it on some models, Mercedes has done it for many years, and even VW from back in the Wolfsburg Jetta days in the 80’s. It is a common upgrade option in the US to select the darker lights.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Aha, I understand the picture now :)
You meant "Euro style" in general, not referring specifically to Volvo.

·
Registered
228 Posts

That is one sharp looking ride WW, well done

1 - 20 of 28 Posts