SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an '05 XC90 V8 used but it was still under the original warranty and thank God. 1 week after I bought the car the engine started vibrating and the dealer replaced the balance rod, about an $8000 job from what I was told. 2 months later the alternator went due to an oil leak which was not found until the second alternator went 2 months after that. Now I am told that the tranny is probably going. The car vibrates between 40-50 mph. It will stop after a few seconds or if you give it a little gas. The dealer said just to drive it until it quits, not acceptable and not an option for me with a handicap child. I love my car, just don't love the repair bills and shop visits. I found a one owner '08 XC90 V8 with all the bells and whistles just like my car. It has always been serviced at the same dealer. From what I have read it seems like from 2003-2005 there are numerous problems with the transmission and other things in these cars. Has anyone heard of or had any crazy issues with the '08 model? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haven't had any real issues, apart from maybe still a question mark over the transmission. I have a late 2007 V8 with 80000 km's on the clock and my transmission definitely already has "issues" with frequent harsh change downs and sometimes clunking change ups at slower speeds along with some flaring on acceleration. Very disappointing really. I think you could fairly expect to get at least 200000 km's out of a transmission and I certainly do not want to pay $8000 for a replacement or even $3k to $4k for a valve body. Funny because there doesn't seem to be the same issues with the transmissions in the 2.5 diesel turbo or the 3.2 six models. Only the V8. But apart from that no other problems for me apart from being a bit harsh on brake pads/rotors and tyres.

Regards Barney

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! From my research it looks like all of the bugs were worked out after the '05 models. I am picking up my new car tomorrow and will gladly wave goodbye to the '05.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would go 07 or Newer XC90 V8. This is what I have been told by many Valve-O mechanics in the Chicagoland Area.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would go 07 or Newer XC90 V8. This is what I have been told by many Valve-O mechanics in the Chicagoland Area.
Our 07 V8 is a joy to drive, love it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts