SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my '89 DL, which has dissolved into junk. I was thinking of an 850 wagon since my Volvo serves pretty much as my farm truck and generally sees about 4-5k miles a year. (My daily driver is an '89 Jag XJ-6).

I've started doing a little research on the car. I'm aware of the fuel tank recall and, apparently, a weakness in the ABS unit. Would 850 owners either let me know of, or steer me to information about known weak points in this car. I have until the end of July to find a replacement. I'm happy to take suggestions directly to my email, [email protected])

Also, how is it as a highway cruiser? I have to make 3-4 long trips a year, 600 miles one way. The Jag is an absolute joy, barely breathing hard at 80-85, smooth and comfortable, and it even sees long runs at 90-95-100. Just curious if the 850 series is comfortable on long rides.

With thanks.

Eliot Brenner
Annandale, Va.
(saw an 850 wagon in our local paper Friday, red, 55k miles, 94, but couldn't get to it before it was sold, darn it.)

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Thinking of buying an 855 (eliotb)

You can now have the ABS repaired for $150, much better than the alternative
Weak spot is the A/C evaporator.
They ALL go, so make sure that any car you're interested in buying has had it replaced, if not, it WILL fail and that's $1400 (dash comes apart) so take it into consideration.
Many other small items break from time to time but that's with most Volvos

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Thinking of buying an 855 (eliotb)

Quote, originally posted by eliotb »
many thanks. i haven['t followed volvos for years. Is there another vovlo wagon model that is less problematic?

Not really although the later you go (ie: a V70) the less problems there are. Little by little, every year gets a bit better and a bit more reliable.
Many of the same problems are still there but many were "fixed" when the V70 (98) was introduced.
The deal with Volvos is that I would (and do) drive them with way over 100K miles with pleasure and don't worry about them.
I have this 98R (for sale BTW, see for sale section
) that I would drive anywhere with no hesitation as it was/is a seriously well maintained vehicle.
To be fair, there also are some that I wouldn't drive around the block

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.