SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2011 Audi Q5 3.2 has been nothing but trouble lately, with a persistent water leak into the passenger cabin that hasn't been fixed after 3 trips into the shop for repairs, loaner cars, lost time behind the wheel and several weeks of back and forth with Audi Customer Care. We are tired of this nonsense and, coupled with how much she's enjoyed my S60, are thinking about switching to an XC60. The question is now, 3.2 or T6 engine. She's been used to 270 hp and we aren't sure if the 240 or 300 hp option would be better. Has anyone been able to compare the engines while cross-shopping? What's the fuel efficiency like in real world driving for each?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
IF the 3.2 offered say, 20% better mileage(it doesn't), there might be a conversation. IF the 3.2 could squeeze out 30 more horsepower, you might get different answers(nope). IF the 3.2 used 87 octane(it does) AND the T6 required 91/93(it doesn't ), there might be a different discussion; but unless you just REALLY want FWD and not AWD, you'll not get many votes for the 3.2 except as an initial money-saving option. Only compelling reason that comes to mind are some of the teens in our neighborhood who are starting their driving careers. Mom and Dad should keep the T6 away from the kiddos. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
IF the 3.2 offered say, 20% better mileage(it doesn't), there might be a conversation. IF the 3.2 could squeeze out 30 more horsepower, you might get different answers(nope). IF the 3.2 used 87 octane(it does) AND the T6 required 91/93(it doesn't ), there might be a different discussion; but unless you just REALLY want FWD and not AWD, you'll not get many votes for the 3.2 except as an initial money-saving option. Only compelling reason that comes to mind are some of the teens in our neighborhood who are starting their driving careers. Mom and Dad should keep the T6 away from the kiddos. ;)
Great points in your post. In our house it is more like Mom trying to keep the T6 away from Dad!

·
Registered
837 Posts
To be honest, the 6 cylinder in the Audi was nothing spectacular as an "upgrade" engine - hence why it it being replaced with the supercharged 3.0 for 2013 (to be competitive with BMWs 35i and Volvo's T6). Given this, you may actually find the base 3.2 to be OK. We test drove one, but more importantly, we had one as a loaner for a day. On the test drive I wasn't too impressed with the 3.2, but that is somewhat skewed by the test drive of the T6 immediately afterward. During the day we had with the 3.2 as a loaner I realized the 3.2 isn't that bad and could definitely work (admittedly, it was a base model FWD car and was thus lighter than an AWD version). The Audi's biggest advantage over the XC60 (IMO) is a more sorted ride (i.e. not as rough as the XC60). It also has that more solid German feel. Unfortunately, in your case that seems to be accompanied by some notorious German car issues (I always have a love/have relationship with them). Other than that, I didn't find the Q5 as compelling as all the reviews made it seem.

I do think the Volvo is a little "simpler" and likely to have less issues in the long run. As you already have an S60, you probably know a lot of this already.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Thanks for moving this thread - can you tell I mostly haunt the S60 forum? I didn't even realize I had clicked on it automatically before posting this.]

My guess, from what it sounds like and the reviews I've read/seen is that she'll prefer the T6. Her previous vehicle was an X3 with the 3.0i, so she's gotten rather used to having quite a bit of shove in her crossovers. I do agree that the 3.2 in the Q5 wasn't really anything to get terribly excited over but it definitely better matched what she was used to than the 2.0T. We'll see what she prefers from behind the wheel (but my guess is T6).

We are hoping to get her as close to the Q5 Premium Plus features she's used to (back up camera and parking sensors, navigation with voice commands, B&O stereo), so that may end up making the decision for us. It seems like making a 3.2 with AWD match this via Platinum package puts you within spitting distance of a T6 with Platinum so I'm sure it's just going to be what she feels more comfortable with (or what we can find on the lot).

All that said, had there been an XC60 on the lot for her to drive when we were replacing the BMW about a year and a half ago, she'd probably have wound up in it so I don't think there will be much convincing that has to happen with this swap once we pick the right engine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought XC60 3.2 couple of month back. It had several issues which I had to take shop couple of times related to AC. As far as performance go, I really didn't know as I previously owned accord 4-cylinder. On my last visit, they gave me t6 as the loaner and I was sold immediately. I traded in 2012 3.2 for 2012 T6 that very same day. I had ridden it couple of days now and enjoy the ride so much. Seems engine is more quieter than 3.2 for some reason, too.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Seems engine is more quieter than 3.2 for some reason, too.
Most turbo engines tend to be a little quieter than normally aspirated engines.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
[Thanks for moving this thread - can you tell I mostly haunt the S60 forum? I didn't even realize I had clicked on it automatically before posting this.]

My guess, from what it sounds like and the reviews I've read/seen is that she'll prefer the T6. Her previous vehicle was an X3 with the 3.0i, so she's gotten rather used to having quite a bit of shove in her crossovers. I do agree that the 3.2 in the Q5 wasn't really anything to get terribly excited over but it definitely better matched what she was used to than the 2.0T. We'll see what she prefers from behind the wheel (but my guess is T6).

We are hoping to get her as close to the Q5 Premium Plus features she's used to (back up camera and parking sensors, navigation with voice commands, B&O stereo), so that may end up making the decision for us. It seems like making a 3.2 with AWD match this via Platinum package puts you within spitting distance of a T6 with Platinum so I'm sure it's just going to be what she feels more comfortable with (or what we can find on the lot).

All that said, had there been an XC60 on the lot for her to drive when we were replacing the BMW about a year and a half ago, she'd probably have wound up in it so I don't think there will be much convincing that has to happen with this swap once we pick the right engine!
If you're going to option it to the max, then the T6 isn't any more expensive than the 3.2.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what we're noticing. We're also seeing that most lots that have Platinum vehicles in the area are equipping the 3.2 models in that way so we'll see what we can find out there!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don´t know about the rest, but to me a Volvo without a turbo is not a Volvo I want to drive. I´m just very used to having all my Volvos with a Turbo that I can´t picture a slow Volvo. South of the border Volvo discontinued the 3.2 in favor of the 2.0 ecoboost 240 HP engine in the XC60

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don´t know about the rest, but to me a Volvo without a turbo is not a Volvo I want to drive. I´m just very used to having all my Volvos with a Turbo that I can´t picture a slow Volvo. South of the border Volvo discontinued the 3.2 in favor of the 2.0 ecoboost 240 HP engine in the XC60
I'm hoping Volvo dumps the 3.2 in favor of the 2.0L Ecoboost or 2.5L T5 that is currently used in ths S60, either would be a better choice than the 3.2.

That all being said, I've been going back and forth on what new XC60 to buy as well. For me I'd prefer to not have leather and the sunroof so my only option is a 3.2 model, BUT I don't want that engine. Its a bit of a quandry and I would honestly like to have either a stripped down 3.2 FWD model or a loaded up R-Design, one extreme or the other. I may just get both and give the 3.2 to my future wife :)

In an ideal Volvo world I'd like to get an XC60 with a turbo engine and T-Tec, that is the combination I want.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL, that´s exactly what I have in my V60. The 2.0 turbo engine and the Textile seats... though the textile seats were a mistake because the car was supposed to have leather, but I got a discount and I don´t mind the textile at all.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
LOL, that´s exactly what I have in my V60. The 2.0 turbo engine and the Textile seats... though the textile seats were a mistake because the car was supposed to have leather, but I got a discount and I don´t mind the textile at all.
The local dealer must hide all the textile interiors...I haven't seen one in years. Given the small amount of leather actually used in most seating, the biggest benefit to paying for leather is getting about half that value back at trade. Takes a bit of the sting out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The local dealer must hide all the textile interiors...I haven't seen one in years. Given the small amount of leather actually used in most seating, the biggest benefit to paying for leather is getting about half that value back at trade. Takes a bit of the sting out.
If you have kids, the biggest benefit is that about 98% of what they spill wipes off without leaving a stain. Worth every penny in my book!

Nothing worse than picking up a loaner car with cloth seats with stains. EWWWWWWW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have read, though, that many owners are not impressed with the quality of the leather in recent Volvos, from being "slippery" to too thin and therefore questionable how it will hold up in time. As with anything else, a matter of preference. I have the T-Tec interior, and it is very easy to clean an keep looking good -so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have read, though, that many owners are not impressed with the quality of the leather in recent Volvos, from being "slippery" to too thin and therefore questionable how it will hold up in time. As with anything else, a matter of preference. I have the T-Tec interior, and it is very easy to clean an keep looking good -so far.
Exactly my thoughts! I've seen plenty of cheap leather (or faux leather) and cheap cloth in many different vehicles, Volvo currently uses neither and T-Tec is simply one of the best non-leather materials ever used in an automobile IMHO. Volvo's leather is far above average but still not great, it gets a B+ from me. T-Tec is durable and will wear well for years, I would say the black version is darn near impossible to stain while being easy to clean. I'm not on board with the whole premium/luxury brand vehicle must-have-leather-by-default industry standard, a good textile like T-Tec or something like alcantra is as good if not better for many people than leather/leatherette/faux leather will ever be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts