SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
526 Posts
Re: Thinking about trading the S60 in..... (Maynard)

What is the reason you are considering this? If economics are primary issue, you will have to drive a huge amount to make up for the bath you'll take trading in you S60 and to make up for the higher cost hybrid engine (relative to standard internal combustion). Your NA S60 should be getting you decent mileage already. Every time one of our co-workers talks about trading a car in for a hybrid purely for economic reasons, we do the math for them - people are usually surprised at the LONG payback time - even with the price of gas today. Of course, there are no numbers that can account for a persons desire to do their part to cut down fuel consumption because it is the right thing to do - if that is your motivation, go for it.

· Registered
526 Posts
Re: Thinking about trading the S60 in..... (Maynard)

Nothing flawed in your logic - certainly makes sense. Of course, any time you consider payback you have to make some assumptions about future cost of gas. But even with todays prices, there is a lot of driving involved before you can realize a payback - and we don't include any extra maintenance of the electric components because we have no clue what that involves regarding price or frequency. My NA S60 gets nearly identical numbers you quoted, which makes me pretty happy about it as a daily commuter. But you are right, seems like the demand for hybrids is going up. I don't know if this is a short term emotional response or a real, sustained shift towards smaller more fuel efficient transportation in US. Time will tell...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.