SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Thinking about getting a Volvo (S40)

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Oldman 
#1 ·
I am contemplating trading in my R32 for a S40 T5 AWD since I have a wee one on the way. Just curious if there is any aftermarket performance upgrades for this car. I know there are exhasuts, and lowering springs, but are there any companies that are trying to push the envelope with these cars? I don't think I could live with 218 hp for too long.

#2 ·
Re: Thinking about getting a Volvo (TaxMan)

you could add a k+n air filter and you'll be in the 220-221 hp range , but there are a few aftermarket upgrades. check with bsr, sct, ferrita, evolve, viva performance, eurosport tuning. seems like the Most , current after market offers is ecu upgrade, 3" down pipe, 2 1/2 " cat back (although a few are working on 3" systems) all together , this should add about 55-60 hp. Not holding my breath for a large turbo upgrade .

#3 ·
Re: Thinking about getting a Volvo (V50_T5)

Heico has a clutch based LSD for $2500 or something like that
K&N has an air filter and that is all the intake tract needs
Spec has clutches but no light weight flywheel, they do have a light weight pressure plate.
Springs.. ain't a VW, and there are no AWD springs that I know of plus I hate lowered cars.... but I'm not your mom.

#4 ·
Re: Thinking about getting a Volvo (Oldman)

I thought the Heico was Torsen not clutch, but in any case it doesn't fit the AWD. FWD only. You really don't need it on the AWD, IMO.

Tom.

#6 ·
Evolve has lowering springs for the AWD and I believe Heico does too. It's just the stock Volvo lowering springs that are only FWD.

#7 ·
I had the same concerns coming from the WRX world. There is a Volvo aftermarket, I was delighted to learn, but its certainly not as extensive as for a VW, etc.

I'm happy with my choice though, and I will probably be looking to the Evolve parts (ECM, exhaust, springs...) when I have the money and time.

#10 ·
Re: Thinking about getting a Volvo (Mistral)

yeah Volvo aftermarket isn't quite as extensive as say an R 32. To get a 400 hp 4 dr. It might be easier to add a turbo to the R 32 AND 2 drs than trying to get that power out of an S40. as far as I know only 1 aftermarket company attempted a large turbo kit (evolve) but decided because of complications NOT to offer this. If you're happy with after market in the 270 hp range then an S40 T5 will be nice. BUT if you need to have more than 290 hp , I'd say choose another car as the aftermarket doesn't offer anything in this range.

#12 ·
Re: (cicatrizdare)

Quote, originally posted by cicatrizdare »
go for the R if you want a higher power range and have a kid on the way.

That's what I was thinking, but damn that car is big. I love small cars. My R32 feels a little big to me. My problem is I can't find something I want bad enough to trade my R32 in for (and not spend a load of cash). I don't like evo's or STI's, I don't want to drive around in rice box with third row seating (that's what I call those big ass wings). Maybe I'll just take my R32 and my GLI and make an R32 GLI. Damnit volvo, just make a 3000 pound wagon with 300+ hp and I'm sold.

#13 ·
Re: (TaxMan)

well, the future is not too bleak.. its only a matter of time before a turbo/ manifold kit comes out. and then 350hp shouldnt be a problem..

dont forget, the focus ST has the same engine, and theres lots of ford tuners out there will also be trying to get something out for it.

but i understand your feeling. thats why i like the S40... it has a nice executive feel to it, comfortable, understated, uncommon. and fast when u want it to be..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.