SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our V60 t5 drive-e is our daily driver/commuter and getting ready for a new set of tires.

The original 8"x17" Sadia wheels are nice, but 235/45x17 tires are quite a bit more expensive than 215/55x16 tires to fit the 7"x16" wheels.
I like the Hera or Naos 16" wheels from Volvo.

I realize I would be losing some handling/performance going with higher profile/narrower tires, but performance is handling is not a priority for us.
Good fuel economy and smooth ride is what we need most, I'm thinking that the lighter and narrower 16" combination would give better fuel economy.

From what I have measured using this tool http://www.willtheyfit.com the overall diameter is nearly identical.

Would like to hear advice and opinions about making such a change.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Hello, I don't think fuel economy will vary significantly moving from 17's to 16's and any tire cost savings will be eaten up by the cost of a new set of wheels, less what you can sell your used wheels for. The 16's will certainly ride a little smoother and IMHO the Hera wheels are attractive. You might want to try to find one on a dealer's lot equipped with the 16's to test out first to see if it's worth doing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why not use another 17" tire size? I find it hard to believe the ride is that bad with the current setup that you would need to go down to 16". Maybe try a different tire. I have used the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus, very quiet and comfortable riding tire with ECO properties and tread wear rating of 700. Maybe a 225/50 17" or 225/45 17" size would work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I was actually considering the P7s for the next set of tires, quite a bit less $$ than the Contis or MXM4s.

I never said the ride quality with the 235/45x17 tires/wheels is bad, it is very good actually.
The reason I am considering the downgrade is to save $50 on each tire, that adds up quickly when you commute 140 miles round trip to work each day.

I know the larger diameter wheels are what everyone wants, they perform better and look good. But for us its all about commuting in a safe, comfortable and economical car. If Volvo offered 16" wheel on the US model V60 we would have opted for that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The P7s should serve you well, I'm over 2 years with mine and a little over 40K miles on them, been through two winters in which they performed quite well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think the bottom line is that you can certainly do this if you want to. My V70 came with 16" from the factory and I downsize the S60's winter wheels and tires to 16" to cope with bad roads. In both cases the size has been completely adequate for commuting. I'm just surprised you are seeing such a big difference in price. I just checked for a P7 AS+ on tire rack and the delta it was closer to $27/tire. For a 70,000mi tire (OK, let's say 50k in reality) you might save ~$300 in 150k miles of driving. In my mind it's probably a bigger hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just surprised you are seeing such a big difference in price. I just checked for a P7 AS+ on tire rack and the delta it was closer to $27/tire. For a 70,000mi tire (OK, let's say 50k in reality) you might save ~$300 in 150k miles of driving. In my mind it's probably a bigger hassle than it's worth.
At first I was pricing the MXV4 tires that I've been using for years, and the cost difference between 235/45x17 to the 215/55x16 is $60 at Tire Rack, the OEM Contis are a $54 difference.

I'm beginning to see that just keeping the 17" Sadia wheels and getting a set of P7 is the smarter way to go.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ok, new to cruising the '60 blogs but I have a question on wheel/tire diameters - the various S/V60 combos from 17 to 19 inch wheels vary by just under 4% (diameter & circumference) each way vs the 235/45R18s on our new V60 RD. Is there something in Sensus enabling us or the dealer to reprogram if we put on different size wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
P Zero All Season Plus - far smoother ride and better handling / traction than P7 All Season Plus (235 / 40/ 18) that came on my car. Very durable - pot holes will not blow out a side wall like they have with my Contis, P7s and Pilot Alipns.

Great price and value - made in their new Mexico factory. Feels like a Touring all season but its an ultra high performance (UHP) all season. P7 is way better in the snow though.

I think they still have the 30 day return satisfaction guarantee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts