SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to buy one I'd be getting a 2010 just due to price. I'm game for either a 3.2 or a T6, though T6 is preferred as the 3.2 sounds kind of underpowered and I think a little more pep can be considered a safety feature, if handled responsibly. ;)

My first question: should I stay away from XC60s that aren't already CPO'd before being sold? I know I can purchase the CPO separately (for about $1500?) but I'm wondering if the dealer not CPOing the car means there's something wrong with it or it's not in prime condition and this is something I should worry about or be leery of even if I do purchase the CPO, and even though they have fairly low miles (ranging from 20K to 50K)?

My next question: what would you say the upper limit should be as far as mileage is concerned? As most everyone would be, I'm trying to balance price (my budget is ~$28-30K max) and reliability, with more weight towards reliability as I'm also considering buying a different vehicle brand new for roughly the same price as a used XC60. Anyway, 25K-40K miles seems like it would be the "sweet spot", would you agree? How much more trouble might one with 50-60K miles be? Or 70-80K miles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That's a tough set of questions to address at one sitting ;) . In our example, we got one of the very first US vehicles off the boat...March '09. It had >56K miles when we swapped it last week, so I believe there are plenty out there with much lower mileage. We went to Acura, so there would not be a CPO option on our XC. Not sure how the Volvo folks decide which vehicles would 'qualify' for CPO status. I'd be most interested in CPO at higher mileages, like ours. If you get one with only 30K miles, you're under warranty for a while. As with any used vehicle, certain items tend to 'go' at various stages. We had very new tires on ours, the battery was replaced twice--so it was fresh. The rear brake pads had been replaced a while back, not sure how the fronts were holding up(last serious look was at 45K miles).

I've not read about any mileage related 'gotchas' in the >60K range, other than normal wear and tear. I reckon there might be some popping up as more of the earlier units get into that mileage range. I didn't get the full details on the 60K service, but I'm sure it's pretty spendy. If 'yours' is in that mileage range, it's something to consider.

While I was researching the 'Summer Sales Event' inventories during the past few weeks, I saw quite a few '10s on the two lots in Austin. Seems a lot of folks went for the three--year lease initially or like to rotate vehicles as often as we do. If you're in a mid-sized or large market, you should have plenty to choose from. The auction prices on '10s ranged all over from < $21K to a high of $26K, so many of them will hit the lots at $25-30K, I reckon.

Good luck! It's a very nice vehicle in T6 trim, the 3.2 shouldn't be far behind as long as you're OK with 'adequate--but not quite as exciting' power.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree 25-40K would be the sweet spot. I would also ask any Volvo dealer to CPO it if you are really interested in the car. They will raise the price, but everything is negotiable. The T6 is a sweet motor, but the 3.2 is adequate. Except mpg in the 19-20 range with a T6 though.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I would be more worried if the car was not CPO'd. In order to get the CPO cert it has to pass a long list of conditions. In theory, it is not allowed for a Volvo retailer to sell a car that has not been CPO'd as a "car that can be CPO'd". It is against policy.

Last, if a car is not CPO'd and you ask formitto be certified, that does not mean it is a done deal that it will be certified (due to any factors that may prevent it from being certified) and you would be setting yourself for disappointment.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I would be more worried if the car was not CPO'd. In order to get the CPO cert it has to pass a long list of conditions. In theory, it is not allowed for a Volvo retailer to sell a car that has not been CPO'd as a "car that can be CPO'd". It is against policy.
I feel like there is such a disconnect between VCNA and the dealers. I love VCNA as they always do me right, but dealers are on a whole different planet. The dealer I bought my car from only sells cars that "can be CPO'd".

OP, good luck on the XC60. FWIW, a CPO warranty is fantastic to have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts