SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YV1A92SW4G1305572 56,000 miles

This car has come up for sale close to me and I just took it for a test drive. Dealer bought it a auction. Was this anyone’s car on this forum; does anyone have any info on this his car or what it sold for at auction? How is the reliability on these cars? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I have one and love it - last year of the 6 cylinder cars. Transmission is just okay but the motor makes up for it IMHO. Biggest item to check on these cars is brakes and save up for tires, lol. Also, some folks have had front strut mounts go prematurely.

This one has some miles on it and appears to be missing the front winglets - hopefully it's priced appropriately.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
What are the winglets?

Winglets are trim pieces attached to the lower corners of the front bumper, like in the pic in this ad:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...deList=VOLVO&searchRadius=0&clickType=listing

I stumbled across the ad for the car you're looking at and for the money they're asking it looks pretty rough to me. Granted, it does come with the winter wheel package but that driver seat looks pretty beat up and the steering wheel is pretty nasty. I would keep looking but that's just me, I'm really picky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The steering wheel was nasty. One of the first things I noticed when I sat in the car. The front bumper winglets must have been options?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The steering wheel was nasty. One of the first things I noticed when I sat in the car. The front bumper winglets must have been options?

Nope not options on the Polestars. They must of been damaged And taken off. They are not cheap to replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,497 Posts

Could be that they were never installed either (they came off the boat not installed and were typically installed at the selling dealer) and the first owner just sold them. Like was indicated above, they are standard and based on the condition of the interior I would guess that they were damaged.

Also, the wheel can be cleaned up with Sonax Alcantara cleaner or just warm water. But to me, the condition of the wheel and the seat and missing winglets would cause concern about how the car was driven. This is probably the roughest looking P* I've seen.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Run a Carfax on it and that will tell you a lot. It is well worth the $40-$50 for a report on a car you're thinking of purchasing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for responses everybody. I have a carfax on it. 1 owner all services done at dealer, no accidents. I assume this is one of the higher mileage cars out there. Was wondering what are the common issues with these cars? When I drove it I did notice a clunk from the passenger side front, possibly strut mount. If I move forward, PPI would definitely be done. Just found a car in Washington State CPO, 14,000 less miles, and a grand cheaper.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Thanks for responses everybody. I have a carfax on it. 1 owner all services done at dealer, no accidents. I assume this is one of the higher mileage cars out there. Was wondering what are the common issues with these cars? When I drove it I did notice a clunk from the passenger side front, possibly strut mount. If I move forward, PPI would definitely be done. Just found a car in Washington State CPO, 14,000 less miles, and a grand cheaper.

As I mentioned above, brakes and strut mounts are the most common items although even strut mount issues aren't all that common. Also check struts and shocks to make sure they aren't leaking.

This car has high miles for a '16 P*. There is one owner who has over 100k on his over on the FB group but most are in the 10k-30k range for a '16. For many owners it's a second or third (or fourth) car so they typically don't accumulate a lot of miles.

Bottom line- you should be able to do much better than this car -you may have to travel but it's worth it. Fly or drive out and drive back - I've done it many times, cannot recommend enough for the right car.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
The '16 wagons also come in silver and white which don't stand out as much. I got a white one but many times I wish I had gotten a blue one - that's the iconic color for these cars.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just snagged a 16' Polestar wagon in rebel blue with the CPO that extends the warranty out to 100,000 miles/5 years from date of inspection when the CPO was issued. If you can find one with the CPO, I'd highly recommend it. As stated, some of the parts on these cars can be insanely expensive. Obviously, this does not include wear items but it definitely helps in the chance that something fails.

That said, I love this car. The bi-modal exhaust is such a fantastic option. I previously had a 2006 V70R with IPD catback exhaust and it was just way too loud with babies on the way. As stated by other members, it's the last year of the T6 and as far as I'm concerned, the most attractive drivetrain that Polestar truly modified for Volvo.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Wifey’s car on left

For economic efficiency you should get her a 2016 R-design 3 L
Polestar has far to many 3x$ components

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am with the guys who are questioning this car. It looks like the owner was not invested. Many of the used P* cars will look clean and well cared for by an appreciative owner.

Its an odd car for the dealer to buy at an auction.

Keep looking...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts