SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Usually lurking around at the S40/V50 board, but need to consult you guys about a V70.

So I'm considering buying an October 2001 V70 2.3 T5 Auto. The car looks like it has been taken care of, but it has done about 300K km/187K miles.

What can you guys say about the 2.3 T5 engine's reliability when it comes to high mileage? I'm also worried about the transmission. Don't want to end up with a huge bill for a new autobox. Any other parts I should pay particular attention to when inspecting the car? Common faults?

Any heads up feedback is much appreciated.

Externally the owner has dressed it up as a stock 2004 V70R - so it looks really nice. But as said, high mileage is getting me worried.

Here's a pic:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Beautiful! That serves as inspiration for mine...

I have a 2003 T5 with 190k miles, runs/drives great! The automatics in those years are to be avoided, as there is a valve body issue (replaced with updated part for 2003 MY). To my knowledge the engine is reliable as dirt...with good oil change history. I'm on the original turbo as well.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The two main concerns are the ETM (electronic throttle module) and transmission, the ETM is fixed for $500+ labor by replacing with a xemodex unit, and you should find out in thorough detail how the transmission has been maintained. If it's had regular fluid changes and the software upgrades its whole life, then it just might be fine. Otherwise just budget a few grand for replacement, or pass on the car.

Another general concern is the PCV system, which should be changed every 100k or so. At that mileage, if the car doesn't leak oil out of the rear main seal, then it's been maintained properly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!

Is there a way of telling if the transmission has valve body issues?

On S40N/V50 T5 you would hear a howling sound when the PCV issues started - temporarily relieved by removing the oil cap. Is this the case with the V70 as well?

With regards to the ETM - should I be able to tell immediately from throttle response if it is faulty?

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts