SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, my 1964 P1800S has been in storage for 30 years. But, I am getting ready to put it back in service. Just prior to it's internment, I spent about a grand having suspension bushings and bearing replaced. I'm hoping that they are still good. My question is what are the most important items to check/refurbish prior to driving. I know the most obvious: brakes, fuel lines and tank, rubber hoses, fluids, and of course new tires. I've been told that draining the oil and putting Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine, them letting it soak while turning the engine by hand is good for cleaning old sludge before putting in new oil. Any other key suggestions will be greatly appreciated. --TIA

·
Registered
79 Posts
You will likely need new calipers in front and new rear brake cylinders and a rebuild of the brake master. Inspect the brake lines and fittings. The fuel tank will be rotten if it was stored with anything in it. Tires, obviously, fluids as you suggest. I would spray a lot of penetrating fluid in the cylinders and let it soak overnight before you even think of pushing the car or turning it over (even by hand). New plugs, plug wires, file the points, rebuild the carbs. Dropping the oil pan and cleaning out the pickup and pan would be good. Honestly if it were me I'd just pull the whole motor to do these jobs and throw a new headgasket on there while you're at it. The motor comes out easily in a couple of hours. Definitely a good cooler full of beers. good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, I've got the beer, when are you coming by............grin

You will likely need new calipers in front and new rear brake cylinders and a rebuild of the brake master. Inspect the brake lines and fittings. The fuel tank will be rotten if it was stored with anything in it. Tires, obviously, fluids as you suggest. I would spray a lot of penetrating fluid in the cylinders and let it soak overnight before you even think of pushing the car or turning it over (even by hand). New plugs, plug wires, file the points, rebuild the carbs. Dropping the oil pan and cleaning out the pickup and pan would be good. Honestly if it were me I'd just pull the whole motor to do these jobs and throw a new headgasket on there while you're at it. The motor comes out easily in a couple of hours. Definitely a good cooler full of beers. good luck!
Actually, I had considered that. I have so many things to do to it after 30 years of waiting. It ran when parked, In fact I drove it to the storage place. I also have a Volvo rebuilt crate engine that I might install. It has never been in a car, but also has sat for 30 years. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts