SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Considering the size and price of this car it definitely should have had a bigger battery :D
21 miles in pure mode is just barely enough to get around a smaller city for the day. If this was 35-40 miles I honestly think I could do 95% of my driving on just electric here in the Bay Area. As it is with 21 miles I can only get around 46mpg so far after 7000 miles.

If I could get 35-40 on electric, I feel like I could easily be in the 70-80mpg range

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Oh, one more thing I can't believe my Volvo doesn't have is an accurate external temperature gauge. It's so far off in warm to hot weather it's stupid. And Volvo replaced the sensor because it was bad. Its about the same. It shouldn't read 10 degrees high when driving down a highway or even driving local streets. It's pitiful compared to every less expensive car I've owned since 2005.
Sounds like they should have a fix for it. I think reading in most cars here is about right.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Reactions: T8 or not T8

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
488 Posts
Mine tends to read 5-10 deg high in hotter temps as well. I’m guessing the sensor is closer to the ground and maybe pick up some pavement temps? Seems pretty accurate below 85 degrees

·
Registered
388 Posts
Considering the size and price of this car it definitely should have had a bigger battery :D
21 miles in pure mode is just barely enough to get around a smaller city for the day. If this was 35-40 miles I honestly think I could do 95% of my driving on just electric here in the Bay Area. As it is with 21 miles I can only get around 46mpg so far after 7000 miles.

If I could get 35-40 on electric, I feel like I could easily be in the 70-80mpg range
Works well for me

More range would be nice but surely there would be a trade off of some sort. I don't know if another phev in this class and size that has more range.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Mine tends to read 5-10 deg high in hotter temps as well. I'm guessing the sensor is closer to the ground and maybe pick up some pavement temps? Seems pretty accurate below 85 degrees
The sensor is located in the outside rearview mirror on the passenger side.
Since it is not housed in a Stevenson screen (instrument shelter), it is not perfect.
There will be curcumstances where the reading will deviate from the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
70 Posts
More range would be nice but surely there would be a trade off of some sort. I don't know if another phev in this class and size that has more range.
SANTA FE 2022 is supposed to get 30 miles out of a 14 kWh battery.

The BMW X5 2021 has a 24 kWh battery (limited to 17 in North America) which gives 31 miles

I could drive 100 miles on my 30 Kwh 2016 Leaf when the battery was new......
Those SUV have a BIG problem of weight and drag......

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope this post isn't hijacking this thread but, what is "too unreliable?"

My 2016 S60 has an Edmunds true cost to own of 48,200 over the next 5 years which is pretty good compared to other luxury cars. As a comparison a new Toyota Camry V6 costs about the same to own over 5 years and a 2016 Corolla type car is ~31k. The 5 yr maintenance and repair costs are estimated below. I did a ton of research on this car since I'm frugal and don't like wasting money. I know most 2016-2018 S60s are pretty reliable since they're at the end of their production run (2011-2018 for the 2nd gen S60). However, my particular car hasn't been great.

Maintenance: $7,172
Repairs: $5,201

Personally I don't care as much about the cost but the inconvenience of issues cropping up and potentially keeping me from going to work are the bigger issues.

I've only had this car for 3 years and 30k miles (2018-2021) and it's had several issues so far. It's currently at ~60k miles.

1. Exhaust manifold leak
2. Fuel pressure sensor replacement
3. Piston ring repair
4. Another check engine light came on recently and engine was "howling." This is currently being worked up.

Everything has been covered under CPO but I'm thinking of getting a lexus, genesis, or another Korean brand car. Per JD power, consumer reports, edmunds, and other websites the Korean car brands are generally more reliable than the American and European marques.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hope this post isn't hijacking this thread but, what is "too unreliable?"

My 2016 S60 has an Edmunds true cost to own of 48,200 over the next 5 years which is pretty good compared to other luxury cars. As a comparison a new Toyota Camry V6 costs about the same to own over 5 years and a 2016 Corolla type car is ~31k. The 5 yr maintenance and repair costs are estimated below. I did a ton of research on this car since I'm frugal and don't like wasting money. I know most 2016-2018 S60s are pretty reliable since they're at the end of their production run (2011-2018 for the 2nd gen S60). However, my particular car hasn't been great.

Maintenance: $7,172
Repairs: $5,201

Personally I don't care as much about the cost but the inconvenience of issues cropping up and potentially keeping me from going to work are the bigger issues.

I've only had this car for 3 years and 30k miles (2018-2021) and it's had several issues so far. It's currently at ~60k miles.

1. Exhaust manifold leak
2. Fuel pressure sensor replacement
3. Piston ring repair
4. Another check engine light came on recently and engine was "howling." This is currently being worked up.

Everything has been covered under CPO but I'm thinking of getting a lexus, genesis, or another Korean brand car. Per JD power, consumer reports, edmunds, and other websites the Korean car brands are generally more reliable than the American and European marques.
My folks drive Kias and I don't recall either of their two cars being in the shop ever over last 10 years. They have some new models that look really sleek.

·
Registered
2022 S60 B5 Inscription
101 Posts
At least these come into my mind without much thinking:
  1. Use my phone as a car key. Fobs are so last decade.
  2. Possibility to use the built-in 360 cameras as a dashcam.
  3. ACC with RSI should set the ACC speed automatically with custom ± several mph.
  4. Unlock at approach and lock on leave.
  5. Ability to close the windows from the Volvo Cars app.
  6. True temperature reading of the ambient temperature of the car instead of some general weather feed.
  7. d-TPMS with real-time pressure readings (no actual need but would still like to have it).

·
Registered
119 Posts
One thing that came to my mind the other day

The keyfob feels a little tacky/light/cheap. The Chrome on the plastic peels of quick. And its a little bulky to have in the pocket for keyless access.
The P2 fob had a better feeling to it imo.

I would like a little smaller fob, no chromed plastic, with a bit more weight to it to give it a more premium feeling, more inline with the rest of the car.

Driving the car verus holding they key gives two very separate feelings of quality. Almost like using a general purpose remote from the shopping maul for your b&o tv. :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
  3. ACC with RSI should set the ACC speed automatically with custom ± several mph.
  6. True temperature reading of the ambient temperature of the car instead of some general weather feed.
  7. d-TPMS with real-time pressure readings (no actual need but would still like to have it).
1. I've heard so-so things about phones as key fobs, but it could be cool as an option I guess. Fob works pretty much 99.9% perfect under every scenario
2. They're not built for that. Where would they record to and how would get such recording?
3. Cameras can be easily fooled by signage and weather conditions. Would you want your car randomly accelerating/decelerating because someone put some duct tape on a speed limit sign, or its raining/foggy/snowing?
4. It unlocks as soon as you pull the handle already?
5. Safety hazard
6. Don't really understand this one
7. Yes, actual readouts for each tire would be cool

Reactions: badcyclist

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ask Mach E owners about phone as a car key. Apparently, there have been software glitches that have made the technology spotty at best. There have also been complaints of one key fob. The other problem is that there are a lot of people who work in secure environments and are not allowed to have cell phones on them And have to leave their phones in the car.

Reactions: badcyclist

·
Registered
2022 S60 B5 Inscription
101 Posts
This was a wish list thread, not a technical debate, but…

1. I've heard so-so things about phones as key fobs, but it could be cool as an option I guess. Fob works pretty much 99.9% perfect under every scenario
Definitely an option, not the only means.

2. They're not built for that. Where would they record to and how would get such recording?
The way they do it in Teslas and BMWs (others I do not know): stick in a USB drive and there you have it. I know they are not built for that but they easily could.

3. Cameras can be easily fooled by signage and weather conditions. Would you want your car randomly accelerating/decelerating because someone put some duct tape on a speed limit sign, or its raining/foggy/snowing?
I know all about weather conditions and clogged road signs and yes, my RSI reads wrong speeds occasionally (most hilarious was 140 in the area of 10). Most of the times it would still work, and e.g. a BMW asks you to press SET to accept the newly read speed limit, otherwise it will continue as it was.

4. It unlocks as soon as you pull the handle already?
Yes, it does. But it could open already when I approach the car. There's a saying that "good is the enemy of great". Maybe I'm just too fast for the computer but I quite often manage to pull the handle before the lock has opened.

5. Safety hazard
Personally, I don't care if someone's fingers get stuck before I board the plane and notice that my windows were left a bit open unintentionally. Moreover, there is a safety mechanism in place to stop the window from closing if there's some force against it, right? But true that, there is a serious safety issue with this one.

6. Don't really understand this one
The ambient temperature the Volvo Cars app displays is NOT the actual ambient temperature but is actually fetched from some online weather service.

And of course, all there are a wish list for configurable, optional settings that I'd like to see in my rather expensive car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Has nothing to do with price of the car, but I really wish Volvo set up the manual shifter such that downshifts require a push forward of the shifter, and upshifts pull back. Why they set it up the other way where forward to upshift and back to downshift is beyond me…

·
Registered
70 Posts
Because when you make ergonomic studies on an average population, 80 % of people prefer that way (pushing forward to speed up, pulling backwards to speed down)
The 20% remaining are the ones like you and me who dreamt of rally cars in the 90's where acceleration is high enough to help the hand movement

·
Registered
131 Posts
Was just thinking that your other car must be a Tesla! :) I agree that if Tesla can do a lot of these things, why can't other manufacturers? (That said, I can't open my Model S's tailgate with my foot, and I've grown quite used to that sort of automation now...) If I know it's 78 outside via a weather app, and think that's probably a manageable temp to hop into the car without preconditioning, but my black on black Tesla's interior is actually 105 (which I actually know because the Telsa app tells me, realtime), I think that's good info to have when all the hardware is there.

One thing that came to my mind the other day

The keyfob feels a little tacky/light/cheap. The Chrome on the plastic peels of quick. And its a little bulky to have in the pocket for keyless access.
The P2 fob had a better feeling to it imo.

I would like a little smaller fob, no chromed plastic, with a bit more weight to it to give it a more premium feeling, more inline with the rest of the car.

Driving the car verus holding they key gives two very separate feelings of quality. Almost like using a general purpose remote from the shopping maul for your b&o tv. :D
Can confirm, we just had a Momentum loaner with the plastic key and it felt very much beneath the quality of the rest of the car. Conversely our Inscription key (and anyone can swap out to a leather/wood shell via Volvo accessories) in matching leather to our interior feels much more substantial and seems to match the quality of the car. Crazy that the cover material can make them feel so different! Not necessarily the end-all-be-all, as a friend of mine has a VW Atlas and his fob is quite compact and still feels premium, maybe even moreso than his car... Hah!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Because when you make ergonomic studies on an average population, 80 % of people prefer that way (pushing forward to speed up, pulling backwards to speed down)
The 20% remaining are the ones like you and me who dreamt of rally cars in the 90's where acceleration is high enough to help the hand movement
Perhaps, but it just seems counter intuitive. As someone that has only really driven/owned manual transmission vehicles for 20+ years (other than wife's xc90 and her previous cx5), it really messes with my head. I pretty much just leave it in automatic now and let the driver setting determine shift points. Got tired of upshifting into a corner lol

161 - 180 of 225 Posts