SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
81 - 100 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2018 T6 R-Design with Polestar
34 Posts
If someone breaks a window in your obviously now not safe and climate controlled vehicle with the stupidity of leaving your children inside. You would be dealing with a kidnapping (not attempted) and a stolen vehicle all at the same time. I am sure you would be charged with neglect of children after the kidnapping was adjudicated.
You sure are living up to your avatar…

·
Registered
789 Posts
My wife’s Honda Odyssey has remote start on the fob and also through the Honda app. Seems like Volvo could probably offer both fairly easily as well.
As does my Suburban. It is a feature that is rarely used, and in some communities I understand it to be illegal.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I agree that the TPMS system is an unfortunate drawback. I was annoyed that my '18 V60CC lacked it and shocked that this wasn't added in newer touch screen Sensus on my '18 S90. The miss the remote start on the fob as well. I like the app, but the fact that they charge so much annually for something that is fairly flaky blows. And for those of you saying the app is better and works "anywhere in the world" are forgetting that it requires cell service. For an outdoorsy car line (XC, CC) this doesn't help me. When I get off the river after kayaking in sub-freezing temps and am soaking wet, I want to get that car warming up ASAP. Unfortunately the watch app rarely works and I almost never have cell service... On Call is an easy revenue stream and little else.
There is also the issue for folks who work in secure government and industrial area where cell phones are not allowed on the premises.

·
Registered
124 Posts
1. Auto start on the fob
2. Retractable privacy screens for the rear windows
3. Ventilated and/or massaging front seats (I have the R design)
4. Dash readout for tpms.

What do you think is missing on your XC90 that should be included at this price point?
Free app.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since Volvo has announced sunset on 3G; I would like Volvo to support upgrade to 4G or 5G in 2016 XC60. So far Volvo has been silent about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Auto start on the fob

What do you think is missing on your XC90 that should be included at this price point?
My 2010 S80 V8 has Heated/Ventilated/Massage seats. Crazy you can't get them on a '17.
My 2010 Chevy Suburban has Auto start from key fob and PSI readout on each tire on dash. This should be a no brainer for Volvo.
My 2008 XC70 has factory tinted rear glass so screens not needed. Only car I've had with them was my 98 Audi A8 which was $82k in 1998.

Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. Auto start on the fob
I think I just read "I hate my pony!"
You point out the lofty sticker price of the vehicle, but regardless of what you paid, isn't it your responsibility to know what you're buying? You are 50% of the equation.

·
Registered
2018 T6 R-Design with Polestar
34 Posts
You still don`t get it, get glasses and read (c). Don`t back track and tell us one of your children is 14 or older.
(c) States the definition of unattended
(b) says the kids can't be unattended (definition from C) for more than 10 minutes

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
26 Posts
I spent 105k miles with a much cheaper car that easily displayed the pressures at any given time (beyond the first minute or two driving). It was always correct. It's fairly common for me to drive from 30 degrees at 9,000-10,000 feet to 100 degrees at 2,000 feet in about 2 hours. A TPMS light on showing all pressures at 29 is a far cry from Volvo's "there's a general problem" system.
^ This. I am pretty faithful about checking my tires. But I've had two cars with the better system where on at least 3 occasions, I've identified a recent slow leak and/or an issue that only became apparent after a change in climate/elevation. Unless you're checking your tires with soap every time you fill up for gas, it's a really nice feature. For a car that doesn't even have a spare at all, its more disappointing. I'm not saying I can't get by without it, or that it isn't better than nothing - but the excuses on behalf of Volvo on this and other threads are lame. The cost of the sensors argument is the worst - I've never replaced a sensor in 180K miles, and the calibration costs are less than the tax or disposal fees which we pay without gripe. Suck it up, or ignore the system should it break.

I still bought the car anyway because it isn't a deal breaker - and it doesn't make my top 4. But I am a believer in the better system after having used it time and again - even as a faithful checker.

The key fob / VOC thing seems like a profit thing, which if true, is sad. VOC is unreliable garbage at the moment and I won't pay for it after 3 years if it doesn't improve A LOT. If I'm in a hurry, it takes 60 seconds to log in and navigate to and start the car -- with perfect data coverage (forget it if data is spotty). I can't do all of this while walking and making sure little kids don't run out in the road. And I'd say about 3/4 times, it doesn't actually do what I ask anyway. But wait - there's more! I can open and close windows from the fob - but the app won't let me. Sure I can see that my car is about to get soaked inside, but can't do anything about it from the app. But remote start is in the app and not the fob. This just seems horribly odd and fragmented to me.

Again, not a deal breaker, just annoying and an odd set of choices for a safety company. I'm sure there are reasons, I just can't shake that it's somehow motivated by profit or something else... still not my top 4.

As someone with the massage and ventilated seats - the ventilation alone is what kept me from the R, but haven't used it as much as I thought I would and might skip the Inscription next time. The massage wasn't a choice, it came on my pre-built car -- but I've found it mostly useless.

Back to the original question -- My biggest beefs are:
1) That the volume of space used by the engine relative to other parts of the car - passenger space, battery, cargo room, etc. seem a bit off. It's a pretty small 4-cyl that doesn't seem very tightly packed in compared to my other Volvos with more cylinders, but the interior space could be just a bit bigger - or at least have made room for a spare tire. Sure, crumple-zones might have been the main factor here... not sure.
2) 2-row and 3-row seat adjustment and movement. My kids can't do it by themselves because everything is so difficult. I didn't expect that. I know it's not a mini-van, but there are other brands that are much easier to operate. Even my wife struggles with two hands - forget it if you only have one.
3) Towing. I know not everyone needs to tow, especially in a suburban luxury vehicle - but Volvo seems especially skimpy here while yet making sure that the number they stick in the marketing slicks matches the competitors. It's not until you get into the details that you realize it's quite a bit less capable than almost anything else in the class. Granted, I've seen the same complaints for others in the class - so it's not entirely or exclusively Volvo. Nearly all 5000 lbs loads would almost certainly be unsafe.
4) Battery management & electric drivetrain - T8/Recharge. It's quite good, and flexible. But I feel like it has a way to go still for a company so intent on electrification.

P.s. As a parent, I too feel violated by the Karens that I am not allowed to make a well-informed decision to leave kids in a locked, vented, tinted, running car for 2 minutes in comfortable weather to pickup pizza or drop mail in a box - while I can literally still see the vehicle -- for fear of getting a window smashed or police called on me. Our society needs a major chill pill. The same society that seems to want to trust dictators and zealots, but not parents. I digress.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You still don`t get it, get glasses and read (c). Don`t back track and tell us one of your children is 14 or older.
Someone shut this clown up. He wants to act smart and thinks that Thomas Jefferson was called Thommy Jefferson. Ole Thommy Edison how could we forget. He also doesn’t have the reading comprehension he claims to have, telling others to read bullets. If he did he would recognize that up the thread someone agreed with the recognition that curbside is a better choice than leaving a kid in the car. Instead he’d rather be a tough guy and say people are back tracking incorrectly over and over so that he or maybe she can for once feel like the smart one in the room. Thommy or whatever your name is - take a step back and literally f yourself because your weak attacks based on even more weak reading comprehension skills only work in whatever world you’ve created that’s full of morons that make you feel smart on a relative basis.
Oh boy that was so hard. It’s so hard to be a jerk online like you Thomas I see why everyone can’t do it like you - I feel so much better about my life now, I think I’ll go take some candy from a kid sitting alone in a car. Hopefully Superman Tom/Karen doesn’t swoop in to stop me!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Someone shut this clown up. He wants to act smart and thinks that Thomas Jefferson was called Thommy Jefferson. Ole Thommy Edison how could we forget. He also doesn’t have the reading comprehension he claims to have, telling others to read bullets. If he did he would recognize that up the thread someone agreed with the recognition that curbside is a better choice than leaving a kid in the car. Instead he’d rather be a tough guy and say people are back tracking incorrectly over and over so that he or maybe she can for once feel like the smart one in the room. Thommy or whatever your name is - take a step back and literally f yourself because your weak attacks based on even more weak reading comprehension skills only work in whatever world you’ve created that’s full of morons that make you feel smart on a relative basis.
Oh boy that was so hard. It’s so hard to be a jerk online like you Thomas I see why everyone can’t do it like you - I feel so much better about my life now, I think I’ll go take some candy from a kid sitting alone in a car. Hopefully Superman Tom/Karen doesn’t swoop in to stop me!
See, when you are weak, you could only take candy from a kid sitting alone in a car. Since that is your dream you should pursue it.

81 - 100 of 185 Posts