SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
488 Posts
Disagree…remote start on fob would be a lot better than only thru app…don’t always have cell service. Just make the process specific enough that accidental starts would be difficult.

·
Registered
2017, XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION POLESTAR+++++
125 Posts
Look up “Climate comfort retaining function” in your manual.
I did and checked in SENSUS in car as well, but that’s NOT residual heat recovery to heat the cabin for 20 mins like BMW has unfortunately.

BMW actually has a button on the heat control, which activates a small coolant pump for 20 mins that then pushes the coolant thru the heater core.(the 20 mins is when the car goes to sleepmode). In Germany it’s illegal for pollution reasons to idle cars unnecessarily and it makes good sense to me. This does not cool the engine enough to make a difference re. Coldstart. I don’t know of any other car makes that have this feature and might justbe a patent issue?

·
Registered
2022 S60 B5 Inscription
101 Posts
BMW actually has a button on the heat control, which activates a small coolant pump for 20 mins that then pushes the coolant thru the heater core.(the 20 mins is when the car goes to sleepmode). […] I don’t know of any other car makes that have this feature and might justbe a patent issue?
My 2010 Audi A4 had it so definitely not a patent issue.

·
Registered
2017, XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION POLESTAR+++++
125 Posts
Yeah, actually did a google search it appears , Audi, VW and Mercedes also have it...looks like a German thingy....I never gave it much thought when I had it for the last 20 or so yrs and assumed most luxury brand cars had it, but disappointing that Volvo doesn’t!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I didn't read all 11 pages, but too bad my 2018 T6 Momentum didn't have more cup holders in the 2nd row. I use that middle seat for our youngest so those cup holders in the arm rest are out of sight, out of mind. Had to put some cup holder things hanging off front head rest. Also, why not included the cargo cover as standard?

·
Registered
71 Posts
That auxiliary pump is incidental to other more essential functionality. Some if not all current BMWs do not have it. MB often now makes it either part of an upgrade or region-specific, for instance Canada but not US. Incidentally, I believe that this “feature” was not originally implemented for the comfort of eco-conscious individuals sitting in a parked car in the winter. It originated for diesel vehicles that didn’t produce enough engine heat at low speed/idle to adequately heat the cabin via the main pump. The Germans started including them on gasoline vehicles to allow for larger heater cores, and I believe on some Audis to even out engine temperature after the belt-driven pump is inactive. The ability to run the pump after the engine is stopped is a happy side effect of the fact the auxiliary pump is there - not the reason the pump is installed. Most hybrid vehicles have it because otherwise there would be no heat when the ICE was not running.

Volvo’s climate retaining function uses the same basic principal - the water pump runs to move residual engine heat through the heater core. I presume it does not close a valve to isolate the radiator and this is why Volvo is concerned with dissipating engine heat unnecessarily, and thus makes it only for an occupied cabin. But the effect is the same as the German systems - engine heat is moved to the heater core. The only difference is using the main water pump instead of an auxiliary pump.

Also remote start is either unknown or rare in much of Europe, as idling a car is illegal and in certain countries, that prohibition is enforced. Instead, cars in cold-climate countries often have a parking heater - a small fuel-fired heater which burns just enough gasoline to heat the passenger compartment. This is often controlled by a separate cellular-enabled fob so that you can pre-heat the cabin at a useful time (before you’re within a few strides of the vehicle), and is also a way to keep the cabin warm without running battery-draining and engine-heat running pumps in very cold climates.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That auxiliary pump is a vestige of days when the main coolant pump was belt driven, and thus could not run when the engine was off. Some if not all current BMWs do not have it. MB often now makes it either part of an upgrade or region-specific, for instance Canada but not US. Incidentally, I believe that this “feature” was not originally implemented for the comfort of eco-conscious individuals sitting in a parked car in the winter. It originated for diesel vehicles that didn’t produce enough engine heat at low speed/idle to adequately heat the cabin via the main pump. The Germans started including them on gasoline vehicles to allow for larger heater cores, and I believe on some Audis to even out engine temperature after the belt-driven pump is inactive. The ability to run the pump after the engine is stopped is a happy side effect of the fact the auxiliary pump is there - not the reason the pump is installed. Most hybrid vehicles have it because otherwise there would be no heat when the ICE was not running.

Volvo’s climate retaining function uses the same basic principal - the water pump runs to move residual engine heat through the heater core. I presume it does not close a valve to isolate the radiator and this is why Volvo is concerned with dissipating engine heat unnecessarily, and thus makes it only for an occupied cabin. But the effect is the same as the German systems - engine heat is moved to the heater core. The only difference is using the main water pump instead of an auxiliary pump.

Also remote start is either unknown or rare in much of Europe, as idling a car is illegal and in certain countries, that prohibition is enforced. Instead, cars in cold-climate countries often have a parking heater - a small fuel-fired heater which burns just enough gasoline to heat the passenger compartment. This is often controlled by a separate cellular-enabled fob so that you can pre-heat the cabin at a useful time (before you’re within a few strides of the vehicle), and is also a way to keep the cabin warm without running battery-draining and engine-heat running pumps in very cold climates.
This is.. a pretty good answer!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh JFC you all overthink ****.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Please leave J..... out of this, I find that to be offensive. There are many other ways to express yourself than to take his name in vain, thanks

Reactions: Brucealeg

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
lol holy thread resurrection

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970 Camaro, 2018 S90 T8, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
369 Posts
When I consider what Chrysler included in the Pacifica Hybrid in the way of driver information puts Volvo to shame. Direct tire pressure readout, oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, percent charge, battery voltage, oil life monitor, CHARGE SCHEDULE, and probably others I can't recall at the moment. I will allow that it's safe to say that my wife could care less about the above and probably couldn't find the screen if she tried but I certainly do.
I'm using our 2018 T8 as a basis for comparison so perhaps the newer Volvos have stepped their game.

·
Registered
2022 XC90 T6
6 Posts
didn't read all 11 pages either, but not having a power tilt/in/out steering wheel that raises up to make easy exit is my beef for our 2 week old 2022 XC90 T6 Inscription. Just a manual lever, really? Had those 25yr ago. Other thing I'm still trying to figure out is my music thumb stick that works on my 2019 Audi won't work on this Volvo. I ripped about 100 cds using itunes years ago so I guess the Volvo does not like the way I ripped them to MP3.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
didn't read all 11 pages either, but not having a power tilt/in/out steering wheel that raises up to make easy exit is my beef for our 2 week old 2022 XC90 T6 Inscription. Just a manual lever, really? Had those 25yr ago. Other thing I'm still trying to figure out is my music thumb stick that works on my 2019 Audi won't work on this Volvo. I ripped about 100 cds using itunes years ago so I guess the Volvo does not like the way I ripped them to MP3.
Some people here claim the manual steering adjustment is because of crash concerns. If there's a crash and the power is gone, the wheel can't be moved if it's electric. I think this is null and void because every current Volvo has power seats and power windows

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
488 Posts
Lack of a power column is mostly annoying with multiple profiles since it doesn’t move with seat memory like other luxury cars. Agreed that it is a novel idea for safety but in the real world not likely to make much of a difference. But I’d gladly keep the manual column if they’d just give us direct tpms, which imo is a much more important safety feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Auto start on the fob
2. Retractable privacy screens for the rear windows
3. Ventilated and/or massaging front seats (I have the R design)
4. Dash readout for tpms.

What do you think is missing on your XC90 that should be included at this price point?
audible alert for blind spot monitoring. Unbelievable that it doesn’t exist,

201 - 220 of 225 Posts