SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just polling other owners. If you have the R-Design style sport seats found in the R-Design and the Ocean Race, is your thigh extension support manual or powered?

My late build 2019 VOR has them powered, but I know that it seems the 18s were manual.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My late 2018 VOR has manual thigh extension. I was slightly annoyed by this at first, just because it was powered in the other packages, but I just leave it full extended all of the time so it's irrelevant to me now.

I know that the seat specs changed for MY19 as the OSD price-sheet had different specs but it was unclear if that was a typo or not.
1. Do you have 2 way or 4 way lumbar support? MY18 has 4 way but OSD price-sheet suggested MY19 has 2 way.
2. I am assuming that your headrests have full leather on the backside necks? MY18 has plastic. Does the headrest have any wording on it? (other MY19 cars have "Inscription" and such inset into the leather).

So interested to hear your story about supposedly getting the last VOR ever produced ...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nquery,

So mine has power extensions on both seats, and 4-way lumbar adjustments. Car is in the parking lot right now so will check on the leather on the back of the headrests. There's nothing embossed on the front side like there is for the Inscription and R-Design.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have full leather throughout the headrests, and confirming that there's nothing embossed on the front of the headrests.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have manual extensions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The manual extensions, as well as the manual steering wheel adjust were two things that I thought were sadly lacking in this price range. But the reality is (I'm the sole driver), I adjusted the seat and the steering wheel the day I picked up the car and haven't touched the adjustments since, 10 months later.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VLD1, if mine had the manual extension I could almost give that a pass, as that's not too big a deal to change quickly between drivers. But yeah, the non-power steering wheel adjustment seems like a real miss on a car at this price point and with virtually everything else having a power function. I mean powered fold down headrests, but no power steering column?!!! Plus that is something that can change a lot between drivers, so having that tied to the seat memory button makes a lot of sense, and is what some other premium brands do.

·
Registered
585 Posts
VLD1, if mine had the manual extension I could almost give that a pass, as that's not too big a deal to change quickly between drivers. But yeah, the non-power steering wheel adjustment seems like a real miss on a car at this price point and with virtually everything else having a power function. I mean powered fold down headrests, but no power steering column?!!! Plus that is something that can change a lot between drivers, so having that tied to the seat memory button makes a lot of sense, and is what some other premium brands do.
How about the rear view mirror? My wife and I are always manually readjusting that after the other uses it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The manual extensions, as well as the manual steering wheel adjust were two things that I thought were sadly lacking in this price range. But the reality is (I'm the sole driver), I adjusted the seat and the steering wheel the day I picked up the car and haven't touched the adjustments since, 10 months later.
It's so weird Volvo doesn't offer a power steering column in any of its cars, especially since I drove a base Acura MDX that had one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am far from a Volvo apologist (heck, I have a huge lawsuit open), but the non-powered steering column has long been Volvo's staple because of "safety." They claim that, in case of accident, having mechanical components in the steering column can be dangerous, as they are likely to shoot towards the driver. I found it awkward, but I don't share vehicles with anyone on a regular basis, so it wasn't a deal breaker.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
i don’t mind manual columns. Last year I paid an indie $1,100 to repair the frozen powered column in my Mercedes. The entire column had to be removed to access the broken $4.70 part. :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
as an aside, does anyone find the extensions outer edge/corner annoying?...i have the extension slightly out on my VOR and i sometimes get caught sliding into the seat...annoying...not sure why the extensions edge can't be manually set up or down...they stick up too much IMO...anyone else think this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't have a problem (I have them fully extended). But after wearing down the edge stitching on my Grand Cherokee from sliding into the seat upon entry, I try to plop down more toward the center rather than slide in over the side bolsters. Might be why it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as an aside, does anyone find the extensions outer edge/corner annoying?...i have the extension slightly out on my VOR and i sometimes get caught sliding into the seat...annoying...not sure why the extensions edge can't be manually set up or down...they stick up too much IMO...anyone else think this?
Not really an issue for me, and I have mine fully extended as well. Do you have the seat angle up a lot, or positioned high, so that there's no room between the steering wheel and the seat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts