SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. My 2005 S60R is being written off (the "total loss department" at my insurance company just called me). They told me not to bother taking the car in to the body shop for their assessment tomorrow.

They told me they're giving me $15460 + 5% GST for a total of $16233 for it, after waiving my $500 deductible. In spite of this being about half of what I paid for it three years ago, I'm afraid it may actually be a fair market value for an '05 R with 115,000 km on it.

They also told me the cost to repair the car would be something in the $12,000-$13,000 range. For pictures of the actual damage, take a look at my last thread here.

I'm not saying the insurance company is trying to rip me off - I literally have no idea what my possible courses of action are now that they've told me this. What do I do? :confused: What happens after they give me the cheque, someone tows the car away?

FWIW the car is still driveable but it's pretty damn ugly. I'd at least have to slap some sort of new headlight on the driver's side to make it usuable in the long term, but I wouldn't want to drive a dented-up POS in this condition anyway, lol. Also keep in mind I live in Canada so insurance may work a bit differently (again I have no idea) and Rs are worth a bit more than in the States.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You can always challenge the insurance company if you don't agree. Might not get you anywhere but if you feel they are completely wrong, you do have that right. It doesn't look totaled to me but hard to tell by those photos. If it's not as bad as I would suspect from the photos, then maybe $3-4k. If there is frame damage, then I agree with them. If it were me though, I would probably try and negotiate the offer up a little bit, with an agreement to buy the car back for maybe $1k or so and then buy another one and have a parts car.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
They usually (fortunately or unfortunately) add a % to any repair for the "also found this...." if that plus the estimate is anywhere near the value of the vehicle = write-off.

You CAN negotiate with them though.... Whether you take their offer, negotiate the offer or try to negotiate the repair is up to you. They may want you to buy it from them, what's the buy back?

Remember this car will now have a branded title also.

Sucks man. More KB is needed....

·
Registered
343 Posts
That seems to be about right, in Montreal for my 06 with 150 000km, I'm covered for $18,xxx. Your best bet might be to start parking out all your mods with stock to try and get some $$ back.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think you are confronted with reality here. Your insurance is not going to risk going any deeper with hidden damages as others have pointed out.

You will not get any money for aftermarket mods. Your only leverage would be to argue condition, high dollar factory options such as sport kit, nav, etc. All of that would need to based on published book numbers.

Unless you are in the business, keeping it, or doing some type of buy back, part out, etc. seldom works for the average person not in the trade.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Does your policy cover you fOr replacement value? If so, do some local shopping and determine what it would cost to replace your vehicle. If its close to their offer then all is good but if it's low (make sure you check out the used inventory at Volvo of Edmonton) then you have some hard evidence to back up your position. Just asking for more $ without evidence is unlikely to get you very far.

Good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
wtf?

how is that a write off?!?!?!? That damage does NOT look to exceed 16's... mind boggling

Like other have stated, you can get a bit more from them if you challenge there offer... but you need proof. IE: auto trader,kijiji prices/ads

I had a car that was written off and got 2 grand more when i submitted my proof that the car was worth more. But have heard that others didnt have much luck. cant hurt to ask.

Also, you can "buy" the car back from the wreckers for a fee. My insurance told me i could buy the car for $500 as a "parts only" car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Take the cheque and get yourself another R with less miles for the same money. I think after what's happened, I would strip your car of any mods and run to the bank with the cheque! 16K for an 05 with 110+ K is a fair offer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Id take the check also. Thats a pretty fair price.

·
Registered
272 Posts
wtf?

how is that a write off?!?!?!? That damage does NOT look to exceed 16's... mind boggling.
It's not more than 16k, that's not how totalling works. It's simply cheaper for the insurance company to cut a check than for them to repair what is now a branded/salvage vehicle.

Definitely try to show them equivalent examples that cost more, to bring your payment amount up. If they haven't taken the car yet get what custom parts you can, although you'll have to put the stock ones back on. If they have it now they won't let you touch it.

What will likely happen then is it will go to auction. Once it's been auctioned you'll have the right to buy it back for the winning auction price. If you do that, you'd be looking at a part-out situation. You don't want to bother with sinking more money into it after they scrap the title.

Sorry it turned out this way.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's not more than 16k, that's not how totalling works. It's simply cheaper for the insurance company to cut a check than for them to repair what is now a branded/salvage vehicle.

Definitely try to show them equivalent examples that cost more, to bring your payment amount up. If they haven't taken the car yet get what custom parts you can, although you'll have to put the stock ones back on. If they have it now they won't let you touch it.

What will likely happen then is it will go to auction. Once it's been auctioned you'll have the right to buy it back for the winning auction price. If you do that, you'd be looking at a part-out situation. You don't want to bother with sinking more money into it after they scrap the title.

Sorry it turned out this way.
Not quite, You should have the option to buy it back from the insurance company for a fraction of your settlement before it goes to auction. Once it goes to auction you would have to be the high bidder to win it. Once it goes to auction you have no "right" to it. Unless you are high bidder.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Actually, having gone through a couple of totals before (never my fault, thank goodness, one was a similar deer hit, though) if you can document your mods, (like receipts) they generally will pay for them as well. At least here in the US they will.

It's another of those cosmetic damage total loss things... I bought an 85 245GL wagon for $75 that was that way. I spent another $450 on a rear totaled 240 for the hood, left front fender, front cosmetics and bumper. It ended up needing the left front stub rail pulled 1/2" down and 3/4" out to bring it to true. Saved the hood (didn't use the one off the parts car) and ended up driving that car for 250,000 miles (after it had a little over 100,000 miles on it)

They looked at the cost of the headlamps, the bumper, the intercoolers, radiator, evap core, bits and pieces in behind there, and it broke 50% of replacement, it goes bye bye... That is the suck part about driving a car more than 5 years old.

Again, you may be able to negotiate a buy back (I would if I had room to store it and can afford to if you don't have to pay off a loan or anything) and then use it as a parts car with a new one (or fix it back to drivable yourself, if you can also negotiate a repairable title versus a never-fix title... again, Canada may differ from the USA on this... but have been there) They shouldn't put up too much of a fight since it IS mostly cosmetic. It's not like you are trying to weld two junkers together to get it running again.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and here's a beauty in Calgary!!

2007 S60R - Atacama, 6MT, 3.8K, Sonic Blue - $32,000
Yeah I saw that one too, tempting... but I doubt it's actually 3,800 km. Probably meant 38,000 (which is still really low).

I'm not sure if I want to go through the R thing again, I'd honestly rather have something with a real warranty and better aftermarket support. I still love the R but the thing's been a continuous source of stress for the last three years. The new STi is calling my name...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not quite, You should have the option to buy it back from the insurance company for a fraction of your settlement before it goes to auction. Once it goes to auction you would have to be the high bidder to win it. Once it goes to auction you have no "right" to it. Unless you are high bidder.
Depends on the insurance company. The classic car insurance I've dealt with operates exactly as I explaind , with rights of first refusal. Although some allow you to purchase it back before the auction.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That's a 13,000$ repair? lol. Dude, that's insane... I had an entire rear quarter panel cut, and welded in, and a wheel replaced. alignment done, new door, fixed bumper. Paint both doors, bumper, quarter panel, and wheel (since mine were all painted black) for $5K.

Maybe it just insanely expensive in canada, but it still seems like alot for what appears to only be a bumper, hood, door, fender, and cracked headlight/foglight. I would take the most you'd get for repair, and buy all the parts yourself (at cheap prices) from viva and stuff, and then bring it to a local body shop. It also got keyed all along the other side, so they had to paint both doors, fuel door, and quarter panel.. Insurance quoted that at $1,081.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Find a bunch of for sale adds with high s60r prices to take to the insurance co as proof to go up in price. Also use receipts for all your mods, my insurance covers up to $1000 of extra stuff if you have full coverage.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To be honest, if things are so expensive to do in Canada on the R, I would argue for a little more money on the R, take the cheque, replace your mods and sell them here, and go to the bank.

However, if you decide to buyback/part out, I want dibs on your parking brake boot. I desperately need one!

[In fact, can you do this for me even if the insurance company takes the car ;)]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SO... talked to the person at the insurance company again, basically I have no salvage option aside from winning the car at auction. They will allow owners with cheaper cars ($3000 or less) to buy them back as "basic transportation" but more expensive vehicles don't qualify.

I think I am OK with that, the amount I would get is roughly the same as if I just sold it. I think I'm going to take the cash (after submitting receipts for recent upgrades that can't be removed, like brake rotors) and put it towards a Subaru STi.

My 1000th post on Swedespeed is coming up soon and it may very well be one of my last! Kind of sad. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts