SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been spending the weekend in the north Georgia mountains, about 50 miles from the Dragon's Tail, and have been having a blast driving these roads. And this is in an 855R with stock suspension.

My only gripe is the amount of muscle it takes to throw one of these through a tight curve, but it makes me feel like I'm actually driving something. It can get tiring though.

That said, how significant would replacing the shocks and Nivomats with the Koni FSD/Eibach kit be? Night and day? I'm already having a ton of fun on the stock setup.

Also, is there anything that can be done to get a bit more steering feel? Is an LSD available for these cars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Night and day. If you REALLY want a huge difference, go with IPD sways and TkI endlinks.

If you want a constant boner through the turns, do both.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Oh, and yea, there is a LSD available.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Second on the iPD sways. We have a Base NA 850 stick with Bilsteins all around and factory sways. The former owner must have wanted a better handling car and he succeeded. I have both an 854 and 855 and the wagon is much less toss-able than the sedans. The extra weight up high on the tail has to have some impact. I replaced the Nivomats on my wagon and the handling got better. Still needs the sways to be were I want it to be.

·
Registered
785 Posts
skid pad numbers for these car were very good vs competition with more complex (and often fragile, sometimes aluminum) and expensive suspensions - the worst aspect is the rough ride on low profile tires. Car and Driver absolutely praised the cornering grip (and acceleration) of the Volvo 850 T5 in a comparison test against the same model year BMW 3 series, Mercedes C Class. Even as this platform aged significantly and still under pinned the C70 convertibles the skid pad number it generated bested a 3 series convertible in a major auto magazine article I remember reading. Maybe you need to work on the arms in the gym :) I loved the heavy steering feel of the 2 1998 C70s I owned.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For a fwd mid-size sedan/wagon, there are not any that handle better to my knowledge. The R's have better sport suspension and they say the wagon handles better than the sedan because of the body design. Most people say the iPd sway bars are the best upgrade you can find.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
For a fwd mid-size sedan/wagon, there are not any that handle better to my knowledge. The R's have better sport suspension and they say the wagon handles better than the sedan because of the body design. Most people say the iPd sway bars are the best upgrade you can find.
They also say you get way more vajayjay in a wagon vs a sedan. I am pleased to confirm this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts