SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love my R but these headlight issues are a constant bother. After a few months of ownership I asked service at the dealership where I purchased it to raise my headlights up. I explained that regardless of whether they thought the position was correct now, it was too low. So after waiting a few hours I got the car back only find out that they had levelled them "by the book" which happened to be exactly where they were when I brought the car in. Needless to say I was pissed, but I apparently have no voice. So that was last year, and I've driven with unsatisfactory lighting all this time.

Driving the car at night on the back roads of South Carolina is risky enough with the deer, but when the "safe" Volvo cannot even see them 80 feet in front of the car without having the brights on, that's a real problem.

Sage part 2. While getting another problem looked at I asked a Volvo service shop if they wouldn't mind putting in the two new fog bulbs that "R" Kelly had recommended. No problem. But when I get the car back and drove it at night, my headlights are pointed about 8 feet in front of the car. Literally, from the drivers seat, I can see only a portion of the top of the light pattern on the ground. They weren't supposed to even touch the headlights, just put in the two new fog light bulbs.

Why is it that Volvo does not want drivers to see anything in front of them at night? Aside from the sport body kit scraping on everything in sight, the headlights are my only major annoyance. Lights are supposed to be about MY safety, but it seems Volvo wants everyone else to be safe by having me being seen, but not able to see anything in front of me.

Maybe I'm ranting but I'm just tired of these headlight issues. If there was a way to turn off the damned computer software and level them myself I would be all over it.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: These damned Volvo headlights (vLGrok)

You can easily adjust these things. There are 2 knobs (1 each light) you need to turn, 2-3T to bring them "up". Do it with the light on.

It's the white knob on the rect. box ... 6mm hex

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vLGrok »
Sage part 2. While getting another problem looked at I asked a Volvo service shop if they wouldn't mind putting in the two new fog bulbs that "R" Kelly had recommended.

What was the other issue, the results may be related

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: These damned Volvo headlights (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »

What was the other issue, the results may be related

* Power modulation unstead steady throttle, R would periodically lose power for a half-second or less then it would come back. Kinda the opposite of you tapping the accelerator, only without lifting one's foot to cause it.
* Cruise control not working due to clutch pedal position sensor problem.

In the R even if one adjusts the headlights manually doesn't the computer level them again?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, this is one of the first things I did when I received my car.
As per magoon and RKelly, I turned the white knob 2-3 turns in for the headlights, replaced the fog light bulbs ('adventures in lighting'- RKelly) and turned that screw out about 10 (?) turns.

Don't waste your time with the service department. This is EXTREMELY basic maintenance.

I bought the halogens for my reverse lights too...as per RKelly.

All of this makes a HUGE difference. My headlights are pretty decent now!

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vLGrok »
In the R even if one adjusts the headlights manually doesn't the computer level them again?

No! make sure of 2 things:

1) they are ON when you do it
2) you return them to their original position if the car goes into the dealership so that a SUM cal doesn't mess things up

·
Registered
738 Posts

Manual adjustment is possible. It will remain for as long as your car does not have its SUM updated or recallibrated. An update or recal will re-level the headlights and the manual adjustment will be lost. You need to watch out for this because there is a finite amount of adjustment possible and if you've already manually raised the headlights up that range of adjustment will be gone forever until you manually crank them back down and then have the car recalibrated.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (D R T)

Why do car owners have to be at odds with Volvo to have proper lighting? That is poor.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Geez, stop moaning about it and adjust your headlights. Jump in a Chevy/GMC pickup and see how cruddy those headlights are.
B!tching & moaning about these headlights is driving me nuts.
I'm very pleased with the lights after taking the better part of 3 minutes to adjust the headlights.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

Quote, originally posted by Eric_H »
As per magoon and RKelly, I turned the white knob 2-3 turns in for the headlights, replaced the fog light bulbs ('adventures in lighting'- RKelly) and turned that screw out about 10 (?) turns.

2 or 3 full turns?

I turned the hex about 3/4 of a turn which seems pretty reasonable IMO.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

2 or 3 full turns?

I think it depends on where your lights are to start with. I have adjusted mine up almost 3 turns, and they seem perfect. I have only been flashed once in 6 months. They still have another 3-4 turns to go to the top.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

2 or 3 full turns?

Yes, I remember your post of 3/4 turns. But that didn't seem to do much for mine. I had mine pointed at a wall about 30 feet away.
I believe I went with 2 turns on my left head/2.5-3 on my right.
I have yet to be flashed and have much better visibilty. And, of course, my high beams are much better to boot!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree. The lights (main and fog) on the Volvo are horrible. That's my only complaint about the car.

My past two cars, BMW and Lexus, had lights that would blind you at night. You would think Volvo, being safety conscious, would have covered this issue before now.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (dgloveR)

Quote, originally posted by dgloveR »
My past two cars, BMW and Lexus, had lights that would blind you at night. You would think Volvo, being safety conscious, would have covered this issue before now.

The Xenons on my TT were phenominal. And, actually, the lights on our Pilot (Oaf) are great, too! The lights on our two Subis were on par with the R - somewhere between miserable and barely acceptable.

I don't see why Volvo couldn't have easily adapted its Euro lights to US standards. Either replace the city light with a more powerful DRL or just have the damn Xenons on to satisfy our friends up north and the insurance companies in the States who lower premiums for cars with DRLs. It's the lack of a second light for the high beams that really kills the unit.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

Just wait until the mechanism dies in one of the headlight adjusters! This happened to me at about 5K. While darting along at 75mph the beam slowly began to lower until it was pointing roughly two feet in front of the car. It was very sad to watch it happen in real time - almost like the car was depressed and bordering on suicidal.
This was followed by a bright red warning light and a failure notice on the dash readout.

Lucky for me, this was addressed under warranty because they swapped out the entire headlight assembly $$$YIKES$$$!!! If it happens again out of warranty, I will definitely be swapping to the Euro lights.

- Tryg

BTW - My headlights are at the stock levels and I don't see what all the fuss is about. They seem fine... just eat plenty of carrots to maintain your eyesight.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »

I don't see why Volvo couldn't have easily adapted its Euro lights to US standards. Either replace the city light with a more powerful DRL or just have the damn Xenons on to satisfy our friends up north and the insurance companies in the States who lower premiums for cars with DRLs. It's the lack of a second light for the high beams that really kills the unit.

-Eric

Easy answer - because the Euro spec headlamps exceed the wonderful DOT's Lumen limitations for use on US roads!

We have a pair of the Euro spec headlamps in stock, if anyone is interested...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

Boy, wouldn't it be nice if Volvo would work out some sort of trade program! We trade in our US Spec for EU Specs . . . that would rock.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
Just wait until the mechanism dies in one of the headlight adjusters! T

There are 2 mechanisms... one is the leveling motor that can be replaced seperately.

P/N: 30678861

The other is the Hi/lo beam motor which is integral to the headlamp.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
Boy, wouldn't it be nice if Volvo would work out some sort of trade program! We trade in our US Spec for EU Specs . . . that would rock.

Get working on that would ya

1 - 20 of 31 Posts