SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had a dealer loaner while our 71k mile 2013 S60 T5 AWD was getting the altenator replaced for a bad bearing. The loaner was a 2016 S60 T5 AWD, with 5k miles and I got to drive both back to back. Ours feels just as tight and responsive as a car with 66k less miles. Thats impressive in my book, and I figured some positive news is always a good thing and worth sharing.

On a different note, my wife says her phone and iPod both responded faster in the 2016. Does anyone know if our 2013 software can be upgraded?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
On a different note, my wife says her phone and iPod both responded faster in the 2016. Does anyone know if our 2013 software can be upgraded?
It's probably because of Sensus Connect. My iPhone responds better on my wife's 2016 XC60 than in my 2015 V60.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably because of Sensus Connect. My iPhone responds better on my wife's 2016 XC60 than in my 2015 V60.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Do you know if it can be added to a '13?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I recall Sensus Connect was a manufacturing change (hardware & software) for MY15.5 and later. So likely you can't upgrade your 2013.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is an accessory upgrade for 2011+ models called "Sensus Connected Touch"; there is a discussion about it here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?193498-Sensus-Connected-Touch

However, I don't think it is the same system in the newer Volvos.

The accessory page for it is here: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-tr/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480277/2013

It seems to add a lot of other functionality; not sure if it would improve your phone responsiveness, but it does include a lot of phone/connectivity-related features.

The consensus in the discussion though seems that it may not be worth the price of the upgrade.

I think it is an Android-based system, developed by a third-party partner: http://www.parrotautomotive.com/en-...ted-infotainment-open-platform-based-android/

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The loaner was a 2016 S60 T5 AWD, with 5k miles and I got to drive both back to back. Ours feels just as tight and responsive as a car with 66k less miles. Thats impressive in my book,
I really think it depends on the usage. ALL of the loaners that I've been given were 2012 T5s in varying trim levels (I'm in one now). Every one was under 30k miles and everyone was not as tight as mine with 52k. Most had annoying rattles. One or two had a seat beat release button that was difficult to press. Some had issues with that center console sliding cover. The one I'm in now is a base model (not sure why anyone would buy this car striped, it's so unremarkable) and the driver's door seems to be falling apart. The outside door handle does not return back all the way after pulling to open and there's an obvious looseness when closing the door like the door panel wants to come off, not solid at all. They've all had noticeably more "wear and tear" (and rightfully so). My car is brand new compared to these. A good reason to never buy loaners. But interestingly enough, they all seem more powerful then mine. I'm starting to think I might have deeper engine issues than just oil burning.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really think it depends on the usage. ALL of the loaners that I've been given were 2012 T5s in varying trim levels (I'm in one now). Every one was under 30k miles and everyone was not as tight as mine with 52k. Most had annoying rattles. One or two had a seat beat release button that was difficult to press. Some had issues with that center console sliding cover. The one I'm in now is a base model (not sure why anyone would buy this car striped, it's so unremarkable) and the driver's door seems to be falling apart. The outside door handle does not return back all the way after pulling to open and there's an obvious looseness when closing the door like the door panel wants to come off, not solid at all. They've all had noticeably more "wear and tear" (and rightfully so). My car is brand new compared to these. A good reason to never buy loaners. But interestingly enough, they all seem more powerful then mine. I'm starting to think I might have deeper engine issues than just oil burning.
I agree. The loaner we had was in remarkably good condition, which is what prompted me to start the thread. I dont drive ours daily, so my memory of driving experience fades with time. When I drove the newer loaner, I thought it was great and better than ours. Then I got in ours immediately after, and the experience was exactly the same, which I thought was impressive, given that ours has 66k more miles and the loaner had a hard 5k.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recall Sensus Connect was a manufacturing change (hardware & software) for MY15.5 and later. So likely you can't upgrade your 2013.
There is an accessory upgrade for 2011+ models called "Sensus Connected Touch"; there is a discussion about it here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?193498-Sensus-Connected-Touch

However, I don't think it is the same system in the newer Volvos.

The accessory page for it is here: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-tr/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480277/2013

It seems to add a lot of other functionality; not sure if it would improve your phone responsiveness, but it does include a lot of phone/connectivity-related features.

The consensus in the discussion though seems that it may not be worth the price of the upgrade.

I think it is an Android-based system, developed by a third-party partner: http://www.parrotautomotive.com/en-...ted-infotainment-open-platform-based-android/
Darn. Thanks

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
"These cars age very well"...but what about that alternator at 70K miles? I would like to see that part last over 100K. Major engine part replacement is a little more expensive than trim replacement, unless you have an extended warranty? If not, how much did they charge you for that alternator?

I, like some of the others, have driven Volvo loaners with various issues like: rattles in the center console (S60), broken power sunroof shade (XC60), roughed-up seats, armrests and controls; so I guess about half of this is due to driver abuse and the rest perhaps flaws in the specific car, which may have prompted them to join the loaner fleet. Like rental cars, the more miles in the loaner fleet, the worse the wear (exponentially) from those "hard" miles. I look at it like a stress test, to see where the weaknesses may lie in my cars after long term use, and where I may be a little less heavy handed where possible. It is good to hear that your car is holding together well otherwise. One of the reasons I prefer European luxury cars is their general build quality/robustness. :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I look at it like a stress test, to see where the weaknesses may lie in my cars after long term use, and where I may be a little less heavy handed where possible.
Well said! Thinking back, I'm a bit more gentle with the center console and seat beat release mechanism. That one in particular is annoying. Having to press multiple times harder and harder to release the seat beat when you're trying to exit is very frustrating. In fact, if that starts to happen to my vehicle I wouldn't hesitate to replace the buckle myself.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I went from 2013 to 2016. Honestly, I feel very little difference, except USB drive works faster.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"These cars age very well"...but what about that alternator at 70K miles? I would like to see that part last over 100K. Major engine part replacement is a little more expensive than trim replacement, unless you have an extended warranty? If not, how much did they charge you for that alternator?

I, like some of the others, have driven Volvo loaners with various issues like: rattles in the center console (S60), broken power sunroof shade (XC60), roughed-up seats, armrests and controls; so I guess about half of this is due to driver abuse and the rest perhaps flaws in the specific car, which may have prompted them to join the loaner fleet. Like rental cars, the more miles in the loaner fleet, the worse the wear (exponentially) from those "hard" miles. I look at it like a stress test, to see where the weaknesses may lie in my cars after long term use, and where I may be a little less heavy handed where possible. It is good to hear that your car is holding together well otherwise. One of the reasons I prefer European luxury cars is their general build quality/robustness. :)
No extended warranty. Original quote was $1600 for new altenator, belts and idler pulley. Volvo stepped up and provided goodwill for the altenator, so we paid a little under $800. $250 of that $800 was the belts and pulley, which I had them do while they were in there. Volvo says 120k for replacement, but I figured why not since they were removed anyway. An altenator is a wear item in my book, and I dont believe there is a set mileage for them to last. I have seen them replaced at 30k and 130k. And it wasnt the altenator itself, it was the bearing inside causing an intermittent chirp.

I was just impressed regarding how ours has held up in terms of ride quality, handling and fit/finish, not mechanically. How often do we get to drive an exact copy of our car 3 years newer back to back?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No extended warranty. Original quote was $1600 for new altenator, belts and idler pulley. Volvo stepped up and provided goodwill for the altenator, so we paid a little under $800. $250 of that $800 was the belts and pulley, which I had them do while they were in there. Volvo says 120k for replacement, but I figured why not since they were removed anyway. An altenator is a wear item in my book, and I dont believe there is a set mileage for them to last. I have seen them replaced at 30k and 130k. And it wasnt the altenator itself, it was the bearing inside causing an intermittent chirp.

I was just impressed regarding how ours has held up in terms of ride quality, handling and fit/finish, not mechanically. How often do we get to drive an exact copy of our car 3 years newer back to back?
Based on a P2 VR we just sold with 200k miles on the clock (3rd high-mileage Volvo), and driving our new '16 V60 RD (1st new Volvo since our '98 V70 AWD) they can be rewarding long-term cars. Volvos may need more maintenance than your average long-term Toyota, but they continue to be much more rewarding to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
But interestingly enough, they all seem more powerful then mine. I'm starting to think I might have deeper engine issues than just oil burning.
I've often wondered if the "cabin drone" in my S60 was engine, rather than transmission, related.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree. The loaner we had was in remarkably good condition, which is what prompted me to start the thread. I dont drive ours daily, so my memory of driving experience fades with time. When I drove the newer loaner, I thought it was great and better than ours. Then I got in ours immediately after, and the experience was exactly the same, which I thought was impressive, given that ours has 66k more miles and the loaner had a hard 5k.
I'm not sure it's fair to say that a loaner with only 5K on it was in "remarkably good condition". I don't care how hard it was driven, it still better look and feel new with only 5K! Shame on Volvo if it doesn't! ;) Since they have enough trouble selling S60s where I am, my dealer puts many of them in loaner service, then sells them at a huge discount after they accumulate 2,500 to 3,000 miles (sometimes $10K off sticker or more). If they sit long enough, they will even get CPO coverage with the same discount. Mine was one of these and it was as new when I took delivery and has been reliable. Point is, I wouldn't hesitate buying a former loaner if it has low miles (2-5K). I agree a higher mileage one would be more of a worry, as ecoDrive describes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure it's fair to say that a loaner with only 5K on it was in "remarkably good condition". I don't care how hard it was driven, it still better look and feel new with only 5K! Shame on Volvo if it doesn't! ;)
I pretty much agree, but since loaners get the vast majority of their miles just driving around the dealership (and nearest shopping/restaurants), those are 5k tough miles. Sure, they are sometimes longer term loaners, but how often do you just have that loaner for a few hours - possibly the day, or maybe two? The average person is not putting many miles on in that time, so that's a lot of short trips with a lot of different drivers to get to 5k.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure it's fair to say that a loaner with only 5K on it was in "remarkably good condition". I don't care how hard it was driven, it still better look and feel new with only 5K! Shame on Volvo if it doesn't! ;) Since they have enough trouble selling S60s where I am, my dealer puts many of them in loaner service, then sells them at a huge discount after they accumulate 2,500 to 3,000 miles (sometimes $10K off sticker or more). If they sit long enough, they will even get CPO coverage with the same discount. Mine was one of these and it was as new when I took delivery and has been reliable. Point is, I wouldn't hesitate buying a former loaner if it has low miles (2-5K). I agree a higher mileage one would be more of a worry, as ecoDrive describes.
In theory your right, but I have had some beat up loaners from a variety of manufacturers. I have also done the beating in some situations, like hauling 200lbs of 16' moulding in a Q5 or removing a door panel on an exact copy of my car so I didnt destroy my own. Couple that to Hockeyguy's point about a variety of drivers and short trips and thats why I was impressed with this one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I pretty much agree, but since loaners get the vast majority of their miles just driving around the dealership (and nearest shopping/restaurants), those are 5k tough miles. Sure, they are sometimes longer term loaners, but how often do you just have that loaner for a few hours - possibly the day, or maybe two? The average person is not putting many miles on in that time, so that's a lot of short trips with a lot of different drivers to get to 5k.
I agree most get city/low speed miles, and I agree most are only taken for a few hours or for the day. That said, most will drive the loaner to the same places they would their own cars (like work, shopping, lunch, etc.), and many are probably sensible about how they drive it (I know I am). Maybe I just feel bad hooning a nearly new car, if my dealer used older cars as loaners I probably wouldn't care as much about driving aggressively. :p

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
We had a dealer loaner while our 71k mile 2013 S60 T5 AWD was getting the altenator replaced for a bad bearing. The loaner was a 2016 S60 T5 AWD, with 5k miles and I got to drive both back to back. Ours feels just as tight and responsive as a car with 66k less miles. Thats impressive in my book, and I figured some positive news is always a good thing and worth sharing.
That's good to know. Credit goes to the primary driver of your car for not beating on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts